Getting new rabbit and have no idea where is best to put him

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kora

Reaction score
So I’m getting a new rabbit tomorrow, and he’s neutered, but my female is currently not spayed. I wasn’t planning on getting him so soon, but the woman who is adopting him out wants to give him away before she goes back to college, which is next week. So she’s bringing him down to me tomorrow, and I don’t want to try bonding him with my rabbit right now until after I spay her (which will definitely be within this month). Now my only problem is where to keep him until I’m able to try bonding him to Comet (my current rabbit) because we have no extra rooms in the house. I have two options:

1.) Let a family member take care of him for two months tops until I spay Comet. The only issue I’m worried about here is how stressful that will be on him. He would be going to 3 new homes in about 2 months.

2.) I could keep him in my closet and block it off with a baby gate. I know that sounds bad, but my closet is about 6x4 feet, so I’d say it’s an adequate amount of space. I’d also let him out into the living room for more exercise every day. The thing I’m worried about with this option is Comet and him being able to smell each other through the gate and she’ll territory mark, or them jumping over it while I’m not supervising and fighting each other. Comet free roams in my room, and from what I can tell about how she acts with me, she’s kinda territorial (but that could also just be due to her not being spayed). But I’m also thinking that this way they could get to know each other’s scents through the gate? I’m not sure if that’s how it works, but I read something similar to that.

They can be housed near each other in separate cages where there is no chance they can get to each other. That why they can see each other but not directly be in contact.

You'll need to consider where you will do the bonding after she's healed. It is quite important to have a space that neither rabbit has been before -- especially when the existing rabbit is a female. They are particularly territorial.

Once bonded in that neutral space, it's a good idea to try to "neutralize" as much as possible, the area they will be sharing. That is always the risky time of the bond when things can go bad. Making it as unfamiliar as possible to the rabbits is helpful.

Definitely make sure there is more than just a single piece of cage between them- my female bit my male’s nose before she was spayed through a cage. The space shouldn’t really be an issue. I felt so bad having to keep my new female locked in XL dog cage before she was spayed but when it comes down to it it was the safest option and it was only temporary. Just remember no matter how stressed you get, they’ll soon be bonded and you’ll have a very happy life with your buns!

My rabbits shares my room with me too. I would get an xpen, if you don’t have one already and block off a section of your room. That way, your bunnies can see and smell each other but not interact. The xpen I have is only two foot which my rabbit doesn’t seem to mind because he doesn’t escape or jump out but I’d definitely recommend something bigger, 3-4 foot. Make sure that neither of them can get out or in to where the other is.

Unfortunately, there’s no room in my room for an xpen. I’m keeping the male in my closet and letting Comet roam free in my bedroom. I ordered a pet gate online to block off the sections because I didn’t have any responses, but now that I do, I’m probably going to add a little more (a blanket over the gate so they can’t bite each other…any more ideas?) than a pet gate to keep them separated. This just allows me more convenience and ventilation for my male (it’s hot and stuffy in my closet because there’s no AC). Last night I kept both of them in their cages and opened the closet door so he could get some air, but I don’t want to have to do that every night, since nighttime is when they’re really active.

If the openings of the pet gate are large enough for them to paw or bite at each other, then you can get some mesh to cover it that still allows them to sniff and see each other. I put such a mesh on an ex-pen during a bonding which you can see in this photo (used zip ties to attach).

upload_2020-1-6_11-39-11.png

Latest posts

Back