Genetics Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany85

Reaction score
What colours can I expect with breeding a broken blue Lop with an Orange doe? Both are purebred and pedigreed. The father is actually American Fuzzy Lop and mother will be Orange Holland Lop but these breeds are technically the same as you probably know :)

I know that with Netherland Dwarfs, when I considered breeding my blue buck to an orange doe, I was told that the orange would become smutty and not be as bright which is why I did it.
For some reason I am thinking of tort or blue tort but I have no idea why. It's early yet, perhaps I DO need that second cup of coffee...

Let us know how it works out! I would love me an orange doe. :)

When I put your colors into the color calculator I came up with 100% chestnut (some of which might be broken of course).

That calculator isn't perfect and always correct but it does give "some" good information.

I'm too busy to put it into my Evans software and see what it says...

Brittany85 wrote:
but these breeds are technically the same as you probably know :)

"Technically", they are quite different" ;)

The type and points distributionis completely different. Saying the two breeds are the same is like saying the New Zealand and Satin are technically the same - they're not. They are two distinctly separate breeds.

I don't recommend crossing Hollands and AFL's because the cross can often produce an extremely soft coat (which is a DQ in AFL's).

Is it not true that Fuzzy Lops' history is intertwined with the Hollands? Therefore Fuzzy Lops are Hollands with a Fuzzy Gene?
I am not raising for show, just hobby breeding for the love of them :) Some breeders do prefer to show Fuzzy-Holland mixes though I have seen and heard.
A lot of breeders I know breed Fuzzies to Hollands.

ALSO the doe is a Fuzzy Carrier (should have mentioned this lol!

Orange: A_ B_ C_ D_ ee
Blue: aa B_ C_ dd E_

So you have the possibilities of chestnut, opal, black, blue, tort, blue tort, orange, and cream.

Brittany85 wrote:
Is it not true that Fuzzy Lops' history is intertwined with the Hollands? Therefore Fuzzy Lops are Hollands with a Fuzzy Gene?
I am not raising for show, just hobby breeding for the love of them :) Some breeders do prefer to show Fuzzy-Holland mixes though I have seen and heard.
A lot of breeders I know breed Fuzzies to Hollands.

ALSO the doe is a Fuzzy Carrier (should have mentioned this lol!

The English Spot was also used, but that doesn't mean they are the same breed.

Hollands and Fuzzies are posed completely differently, so selective breeding should be used to breed the correct type. Many of the fuzzy Holland I see on the table are DQ'd for incorrect wool coat type (too soft).

my friend is a really good Fuzzy breeder, Pam you may know her, since you do judge some in Ohio... most her stock is fuzzy holland cross, and shows fuzzy hollands on the table. She's had lots of judges ask how her type is so consistant, and its b/c of that.

Most AFL breeders see a fuzzy holland as a gold mine. I wouldn't purposely buy a holland to mix in, only if it carries the fuzzy gene.

OK Im gonna jump On My soap box here...First Im Gonna say that I have Been breeding AFLs for a LONG time. I got my 1st trio when I was 11 and Im 30 Now. So Everything Im about to say Comes From my own experiances and is Simply my personal opinion. I really think that in the case of Breeding Fuzzy Hollands Into your line of Fuzzy lops is a Personal Choice and it works for some ppl and for Others they would rather stick with pure Fuzzies.

1st and formost I would like to say that Holland lops and Fuzzy lops are 2 different breeds, they are NOT...let me repeat NOT the same Breed.

there are as with any choice you make Pros and Cons to using Fuzzy Hollands. For me the Pros out weight the Cons. One of the Cons you Normally hear Frequently stated. is the Fuzzy Hollands have incorrect wool type. Im MY personal Opinion this is only about 10% true...there are some fuzzy Hollands out there that have angora type wool. which is NOT what the standard calls for. BUT there are also PLENTY of Pure Bred AFLs out there that also have this bad wool. I have found 90% of the time if you are grooming correctly the wool comes in with the propor texture. now what do i mean by grooming correctly? Fuzzy coats, Be it fuzzies with HL in the line or Pure fuzzies need to be stripped of there Jr coats, and preferably their intermediate coats as well For the correct texture to come in at a decent time. I have found this to be pretty important for Both Purebred AFL and Fuzzy Hollands. and From my experience I VERY VERY VERY VERY rarely EVER have a Fuzzy Holland not have the propor Texture. In fact alot of my Fuzzy Hollands have coats that are Just as nice if Not Better then some of the pure Fuzzies i have Had. It SEVERLY irks me when i hear judges, Breeders...ppl that have Never raised Fuzzies go around saying that Fuzzy Hollands Dont have the correct wool and are always too soft...Beacause its Just really untrue for the most part. YES there are some Lines of HLs that throw Horrible coats, and I don't recommend using these. For Example....the 2009-2010 show season the Fuzzy lop Of the year was a fuzzy Holland. she Placed High or even won the wool classes at convetnions and nationals. her coat is amazing. another recent example...at the Lima OH show a month ago we had a Well known HL breeder judging Fuzzies. he did an awesome Job, and we were all kinda chatting. Goes on to say that if a HL breeder ever tells you they never had a fuzzy they are lieing...continues to say that Fuzzy Hollands just never have the correct coat. so I toss up on the table the 2nd place BSB that day and ask him if this rabbits has the correct coat. he tells be yes awemsome texture great Length lots of flow and life. so i tell him...he's a Fuzzy HL...lets just say he changed the subject...this said rabbit was also 1st place at convention this last year.

another thing i commonly here is the body type and structure are completly different...when in fact. they are different but not majorly Like ppl like to go on saying. Simply the main difference is that a HL has a high Head set, and Fuzzies are to have a Mid head set....that Leaves maybe a 1/4 of an in difference on where the head should be on a Fuzzy compared to a HL....Now whats a MID SET HEAD....sorry to say but 90% of the judges out there REALLY need to learn where a mid set head is sopose to be. its easier to look at a Pic (and ill Post one if I can) but the top of the head should be even with the peek off the back. I have had MANY judges comment to me on how Nice it is that my rabbits natrually pose and they don't have to force them into it and Fight with them. they set up where they are sopose to me and they really make you look at them. and just why do My rabbits do it naturally...1 beacuse I breed for it and using fuzzy HLs to get a Little more of a naturally upright structure is the way I acomplish that. I refuse to keep table huggers..I find breeind a table hugger in only makes you more table Huggers. 2nd I work with My rabbits...I teach them where to pose. If they go up to high I push them back down and eventually they get it. you can not tell me that the HL Breeders do not work with their rabbits to teach them to pose high....Im sorry but if you say that ill say your lieing. so the structure is Honestly not all that different.

So Ill jump down off My soap box for now...I hope that by reading My experiance/examples/opinon it will help ppl out there to see it from a Breeders point of view and not just random judges/and Ppl that don't actually Breed AFLs. I hope that you will form your own opinion about what works for you. I will Leave this saying that almost ALL of the TOP afl breeders out there have atleast at one time/if not currently have used Fuzzy Hollands to get where they are Now. myself includded.

Thanks FuzzyMomma,
Sorry I guess I was misinformed all these years. I agree that Fuzzy Hollands can do well in the show ring! I have seen it happen as well.
I guess what I was trying to say was that by breeding a Holland to a Fuzzy would not make a cross breed rabbit that would be unshowable. I was not saying that they are 100% the same breed.
I have been breeding/raising Fuzzies and Hollands a few years now but I am still learning of course :)

FuzzyMomma wrote:
So Ill jump down off My soap box for now...I hope that by reading My experiance/examples/opinon it will help ppl out there to see it from a Breeders point of view and not just random judges/and Ppl that don't actually Breed AFLs. I hope that you will form your own opinion about what works for you. I will Leave this saying that almost ALL of the TOP afl breeders out there have atleast at one time/if not currently have used Fuzzy Hollands to get where they are Now. myself includded.
I just wanted to clarify something here for our members.

Pam Nock is not "some random judge" - she has been judging rabbits for years (I forget how long) and has bred rabbits for years (over 20 I think) and I want to say she's especially focused (at least for a long time) on hollands too.

Thanks for your input based upon your experiences FuzzyMomma.

First of all I would like to say that I never mentioned I was talking about Pam. I know who pam is she judges in my area and actually gave me my 1st RBIS. Who was a fuzzy holland might I add. I was make g a general comment about the other breeders and random rabbit judges who what NEVER even raised AFL. I have heard these comments made by LOTS of ppl, but funny enough never another AFL breeder! And BTW as I stated in my post this is my opinion and I am I entitled to have my own opinion. Thank You! I think if ppl have to hear the opinion of many ppl that don't breed fuzzies they should at least hear the opinion of a long time breeder of fuzzies. Maybe hearing the experience of an actual fuzzy breeder will help them better decide for themselves how they want to run their own herd!

Latest posts

Back