Genetics Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elrohwen

Reaction score
I have a genetics questions for all you breeders out there. If you breed a BEW with another BEW, can other colors result, or only BEW? I've read a fair amount about rabbit color genetics and thought I had the answer to this (only BEW) but I've been told conflicting accounts so I wanted to ask some experienced breeders.

Also, if you have a BEW breeding program, do any issues arise from breeding BEW to BEW? Is there anyadvantage to breeding BEWs with Vienna marks (other than improving type)? I've heard some reports of genetic diseases that can result from BEW to BEW breeding and wanted to know if there was any truth to this.

I should amend my post: I think there's a possibility of getting REW from a BEW breeding - but no "colored" buns are possible. Is that correct?

BEW X BEW = 100% BEW, from what I understand.

As far as "issues" arising from a BEW x BEW cross-
Breeding this color to itself is not what will cause problems. However, in most any breed, the BEW's are a rare color. So obviously, they are all pretty well related to each other at this point in time and they come from the same basic lines. So if there are any pre-existing health concerns, these can be more pronounced in a particular color based on how tightly that color is bred. Does that make sense? So no, breeding BEW to BEW in itself does not create any particular health issues. But it can and may, if the color in your particular breed is known to carry something in particular, because of how closely they are bred.

Thank you! You just confirmed what I thought was the case (someone claimed that their VM bun was the product of a BEW x BEW breeding and I didn't think that was possible)

BEW can only produce BEW or REW, but not a vienna marked. However, a BEW may "appear" to be BEW, but could actually be a vienna. That could explain a vienna marked from 2 "BEW's".

Thanks, Pam! That was the only reasoning I could come up with as well, but I wasn't sure how likely it was to have a VM with all-over white.

You should only get BEW out as it's a recessive gene tho from what i have read all rabbits carry it but the bew gene can only ever come out when you mate a colour to bew getting Vienna marks. 2 bew should only give you bew however my husbands degu book seems to differ from that tho I am only going on his word for it lol

We use colour to improve coat as well as type. I'm not on laptop at the moment but phil bateys good with genetics and if you google ruskins mini lops you should find his site :0)

Latest posts

Back