Gas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She has been having cilantro and mint and small amounts of parsley and seems fine on them. So if she can't tolerate greens hay & pellets are fine? I never have a problem getting her to eat hay, she goes mad for it!

Are celery leaves fine for buns?

It's great she's doing well on herbs. :)

Yes, hay and pellets are fine in bunnies that are sensitive to veggies. Celery is fine for most bunnies, but since Alfy's got a sensitive gut you'll want to be very slow and careful in introducing it to her.

Do you think pellets or medication can cause a gurgly stomach? She's lively and happy and eating and drinking but her Tum is still a bit noisy- though nowhere near as bad as it has been!

She's been on emeprid and ranitidine for gut stasis caused by gas.

I think she's just hit puberty too so was wondering if the gas could be a delicate stomach from that?

Actually... I think it's her pellets that are making her gassy. They're excel adult ones. Gave her a few tonight and her Tum is gurgling again!

Brooke my large bunny has a bit of a gurgly stomach at times but I have no idea if it's due to her being close to 11 pounds now, or her just eating like a little piggy at times! ;)

I've to date not had to give her anything for that. She's been eating a good amount of hay and veggies and herbs so I think she's been doing well.

Vanessa

Thanks! I think because she's growing up now and I know her quite well I'm learning so much so quickly. And with her recent gas episode I'm nervous. She was definitely a bit gassy after pellets tonight so will give just hay tomorrow then see what happens on a few veggies! Trial and error I guess! She was fine with pellets & veggies before, it seems to be as she's just hit puberty!

While there can be stomach sounds when a rabbit drinks water, it is very different from the loud gurgling that comes from a digestive upset and gas buildup. Pellets could very well be causing your buns current digestive problems. In fact, I've more often found the sugars and starches in pellets to cause more issues than leafy veg. Some rabbits can also have a negative reaction to meds as well. Really the only way to find out what might be causing the problem would be to eliminate foods and see if she improves. If you think it is the pellets you can try several days with those cut out to see if there's improvement. Or you could cut out veg and pellets and just feed unlimited grass hay. Then when her digestive system has stabilized and is back to normal for several days to a week at least, then you can start adding things back in one at a time, and starting with small amounts and gradually increasing each day, carefully watching for any digestive problems. If you continue to see problems with both veg and pellets cut out, it could be the meds contributing or possibly the type of hay you are feeding. Generally a non grain grass hay doesn't usually cause any issues for rabbits, but there are some rabbits that are sensitive to hay types.

Her being a young rabbit may have something to do with it, as they digest sugars and carbs differently than adult rabbits. Also some rabbits can become sensitive to certain foods. It may be she was either getting too many pellets, or a certain veg upset her digestion, and now that the bacterial balance is thrown off, she is just extra sensitive. You just need to find the food that is causing the gas, and limit the amount of sugars and carbs that she is getting(including the ones in pellets), to give her digestive microflora a chance to return to normal.

Last edited:
Thanks JBun, that's great advice. I've popped her on hay only to get her back to normal. The meds have just stopped too. She's very lively and back to normal again which is brilliant so hopefully with introducing things slowly, I should find out what's causing her upset tummy!

What causes moist fecals? Could it be because she's on hay only and drinking lots more water?

Latest posts

Back