From the Pen of Poe...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elf Mommy

Reaction score
[align=center]
poepen2.png

[/align]
Here is the tale of Poe and his travels hence to his new home in Florida. And all of his antics thereafter.

First we follow the trail of PM's between Cathy and I:

Hey Minda,

Are you looking for a mini rex? I have 7 week old babies, they will be ready to go on Friday.
Think we can organize a bunny railroad from there to Jacksonville?
I have one girl (booted, black and white) and 2 boys (one black, one broken black) available. (The rest are all spoken for). LOL! I'll do whatever you need me to! Do you know anyone heading South? Cathy
I've never had a boy before...what would you say their personalities are like compared to the girls?
I'm partial to the boys... all my boys are real lovers. I won't keep a mean rabbit... won't breed a mean rabbit...). But my girls are nice too. I'll try to get some photo's of them. Can I email them to you? Cathy
of course, then I wanted to try having a boy...

What are the personalities of these three like so far?
They are real sweeties! I already sold 3 others out of the 2 litters. Both litters are sired by the same buck, Jacoby. (Broken Blue doll face!) Both mom's are wonderful, personality wise. Juliet, mom of the broken buck and booted doe, is wonderful. Truly an affectionate girl. Ghoul, the black's mom is Juliet's daughter. Very gentle and sweet. Both boys love to snuggle under your neck. The girl is curious and nosy (typical girl!)

All 3 of these will stay here if you don't get one. I like them all and was going to keep them. They are not being offered to anyone else... and I already turned down $100 for the broken black buck, from a very rich creep that wanted him for his spoiled rotten son... he wanted THAT one because it had "the right number of spots"... (HUH? WHA??? Not a good enough reason for me to sell him one of my rabbits... LOL! The guy was shocked! I guess not many people tell him no! Too bad. I didn't like him or his kid.)

The battery in my camera died... I'm charging it and will send you pics as soon as I can. (SORRY!)

Minda, I am really sorry to hear about Elf... I know how difficult it is for you. Cathy
Cathy is wonderful, isn't she?

then we started emailing

Hi Minda,

Am attaching a few photos of the "kids". Ummm, it may be my imagination, but look at the little broken black boy... does he have the siloette of a rabbit aroud his eye? LOL!! I didn't see it until I took the photo! The girl is the bigger of the kids right now.

The broken boy is the smallest. The black is in the middle. I expect the girl to reach an adult weight of 4 - 4 1/2 lbs. . The little broken boy should be about 3 1/2 lbs. as an adult.
Here are the photos (it was a hard decision...let me tell you!) I really waffled between all three. I love having girls, but I wanted all black, but that bunny mark around the eye is SO cute!

blackboy-A.jpg

bootedgirl-A.jpg

bootedgirl-C.jpg

bootedgirl-b.jpg

brokenboy-A.jpg

My message in reply:

talked to my husband tonight and he absolutely rocks. He told me, "Do whatever you need to do, I hate seeing you this unhappy!"

I want the all black boy. My last mini rex, Chaucer, was an all black girl. I would love a snuggler.

Thank you, Cathy. I'm going to check on the boards about getting him here and who can help.
He's yours...lets find a way to get him down to you... and you'll have to find a name for him. (I'll be going to Spencer, Massachusetts May 31st for a show, if that is any help.)
next quick message from Cathy:
Forgot to ask... you SURE you don't want me to send a Flemish baby with him? LOL!
which of course I do...but of course, I can't...one bun household here. :)

The next few emails were about possible ways of transporting...I'll skip those. :)

Then I started the thread About getting poe here. It changed names a couple of times, but now it's called This Forum Rocks! Poe Coming Home! It also includes thank you artwork! Which I'm still working on. :D

Here are the emails behind the scenes:

I'm going to see what arrangements I can make today and will let you know. I have to tell you, I stopped shipping my rabbits several years ago because I lost a very special one during the trip. I'm really nervous about this... I only want the best for Poe. I know some of the rules have changed, I'll find out today what needs to be done and see how quickly I can get him to you. I'm assuming that you would want to pick him up on a weekend (I know you teach during the week...) ... or what about evenings?

BTW, LOVE the name "Poe" for a Black rabbit! SO perfect!
Hey Minda,

Got some info, I can ship him from LaGuardia Airport (LGA) (about an hour away from me) in New York to Jacksonville (JAX) non-stop (very important to me!):

departing New York at 8:35 am - arriving in JAX at 11:24 am
departing New York at 10:45 am - arriving in JAX at 1:36 pm
departing New York at 4:20 pm - arriving at JAX 7:11 pm
departing New York at 8:15 pm - arriving at JAX at 11:04 pm.

My personal opinion would be to put him on at 4:20, you pick him up at 7:11 pm. Might be cooler at that time of the day. They won't ship if either location is over 85 degrees. You will need a photo ID to pick him up.

I can ship him COD so you can pay for him down there. (Then we don't need to send money back and forth). They will take no responsibility if anything happens to him... (yeah, I knew that!). I have to be there 2 hours before departure. I can always call you that afternoon to confirm that he got on the plane.

I have to send food and water and make sure there is absorbant material in the bottom. I'm going to use kiln dried pine shavings with a thick layer of hay over it. I doubt he'll be digging in it. I have to call my vet and arrange a health cert. too.

Cathy
Cathy,

Definitely a good idea to do the later time. The temperatures here have been really hot lately. Wednesday and Thursday of this week are supposed to be a bit cooler...but later in the day should be cool enough for them if they're not looking at the high temperature of the day. It gets back up into the upper 80s later in the week and then cools off again next Tuesday according to The Weather Channel online. COD will be fine. It's cool that they have that option. I'll have to look up where at the airport I'm supposed to pick him up.

What has he been eating so I can buy the same thing for him here?

Any chance I can get another photo or two? Minda
It'll probably be next week some time. I have to make a regular appointment for my vet to see Poe and issue a health cert. So if I take him to the vet on Saturday, I can probably take off one day next week to take him to the airport.

He's been on Blue Seal 16% protein (alfalfa based pellets. He gets about 1/4 cup a day with unlimited hay (Timothy grass hay). He has not had greens or fruit as yet. I usually wait til they are 3 1/2 - 4 months old, then introduce it slowly. He's really a handsome boy and tiny too... will try to get some photo's tomorrow morning.

Cathy
Next week is perfect. That gives me the weekend to put his cage together and re-bunny proof. Elf was never much of a chewer, and not at all after about age 2. Oh, and I guess I need to get a blankie for him to fluff and push and dig, since everything I'm reading says that they enjoy that.

I haven't seen Blue Seal at my supply store. I'll check around and see who has it in the area. I'll probably ask you a lot of questions about when to do things and what you do as Poe is growing up. :) I'm so excited that he's tiny. I've missed having a handful of rabbit. :D

Minda
LOL! YOU have to ask ME questions? Naw... I'm sure you'll know exactly what to do no matter what. Blankie's are OK as long as he isn't a chewer...

If you can't get Blue Seal, any well balalnced 16% pellet will do fine. I usually give the new owner 5 lbs of feed, but I'm not sure how to send it with him. I may duct tape a bag to the bottom of the carrier... or find some way to attach it. He only gets 1/3 cup of pellets a day, and unlimited hay at this point. (Yeah, and a few Cheerio's as a treat.) He can also have 1/2 teaspoon of oatmeal with his pellets... He likes them...

Cathy
Minda,

Forgot to ask, Did you want him tattooed? I can put his name in his ear... it would appear on his pedigree and gives you proof of ownership (GOD FORBID!) if anything happens to him. If not, it's OK, I'll just put his name on the pedigree. Will probably mail that seperately.

Cathy
Cathy,

After an initial horrified, "NO!!!" from the children, hubby and I explained the practicality of having him tattooed in case he got lost for some reason. They came around to it. I think it sounds like a good idea, so please, that would be great. No one could mistake that he was ours if he was so clearly marked. Thank you!

I'm sooooo excited. Any idea what day it might be so I can start counting down? :D

Minda
LOL! I understand their reluctance, but I promise, I ice the ear really well, and I'm pretty fast with the pen. It takes me about a minute to do 3 letters. It doesn't really bother them. (They are usually more upset over the noise than anything else.) Ummm... and you can show him if you want... he is a handsome boy.

Will let you know what day as soon as I know what day I can take off early from work.
Did Poe get to see the vet yesterday? How did he do? :)
LOL! He did great! Got the health cert. No problems. The vet said he would have taken him in a heartbeat. Could not get over how calm and sweet he is! He called the other vet in to see him. Said most of the rabbits he sees totally "skitz out" on him. And he couldn't get over how easily I could handle him, flip him over, show his teeth, check his feet, etc. (Loved his name! Especially for a Black bunny!) He only weighs 1 lb. 14oz. at 9 weeks. He's going to be tiny, like his dad. I'm attaching 3 photo's of him.

Will check weather reports and check with my boss tomorrow to see when I can take some time. Will let you know!

Cathy

Photos:

handful of bunny:
poe1.jpg

My favorite so far: LOOK at that cheeky boy! This is my desktop photo right now on my computer.

poe2.jpg

poe3.jpg

May 19:

Minda, How does the weather look for tomorrow? It should be cool enough here... Has the rain stopped by you? Cathy
I really really really want to say yes for tomorrow because I can't wait to meet Poe, but it will still be raining and there is a wind advisory until 8 pm tomorrow evening. It probably wouldn't be the best day :( They are predicting gusts up to 50 mph and I'm sure that would affect flights. I am MORE than willing to pick him up if tomorrow is the only day you can take off to send him here, but I don't know if it would be the best day. :(

Minda
Awww... it's actually too late to make reservations. I have to do it by 2:00 pm the day before. Friday migth be a better day. I'll let you know tomorrow... Yeah, I heard about the bad weather down there. I was concerned... will be in touch... Hugs hun... he's doing great! Cathy
Friday would probably be better. :) The forecast says scattered showers instead of rain all day and the high temp is still under 85 degrees. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I had a meeting right after school until six, and then we went to see a sneak preview of the new Terminator movie.
LOL! Good for you! Hope you enjoyed the movie! (I want to see it too!)

It's supposed to be 84 here on Thursday. That's awful close to the cut off of 85 degrees... Cooler on Friday. The only thing is the airport is in by the city and the Friday of Memorial Day weekend may make it real difficult to get there. (You have NO idea what traffic in New York City is like! LaGuardia Airport goes into gridlock!) We may have to shoot for next Tuesday. The Health cert is only good for 10 days... if we go past Tuesday, I'll have to pay for another one.

Let me know what the weather looks like down your way...

Cathy

Eek! I didn't even think about Memorial Day weekend! :( I hope the traffic isn't too bad at the time when you're putting him on the plane. Getting there might not be too bad...you might hit rush hour on the way out, though. How early will you need to check him in? If it's 2 hours ahead of time, you might hit only the beginnings of the traffic...although from films I've seen, New York looks like it's always in gridlock???

The movie really didn't thrill me. You knew who was going to live and die in the end so there was no suspense there. The special effects were good, but it wasn't like I was saying "Wow!" all the time like I did when I went to see Transformers. I think they're counting on people who are really attached to the characters to go see the movie and appreciate it. There was no humor in it at all. There's a little girl in the film who doesn't talk. I think that whole thing has been overdone in movies, as well.

Of course...it's that time of the month...so I may just be cynical. LOL!

Minda
Poe is doing great. He doesn't even weigh 2 lbs.... a lil bit of of a bunny! Much smaller than his brothers. He loves to snuggle under your neck. He's curious and inquisitive... but gentle and sweet. My daughter and I hold him and play with him every day. (We're gonna miss him!) Cathy
Just got back and picked up an updated Health Cert for him... Vet's in love! Wants him bad! LOL! Offered to make him the office pet! I'm going to aim for Thursday on the 4:00 flight. Will make reservations and will confirm with you before I send him. May I call you? Or text message you? Cathy

Any day this week is fine. You just let me know when to be at the airport and I will be there! Our weather this week is typical Florida weather. Afternoon rain each day. But it'll be like that for the rest of the summer so we can't wait on the rain. Minda

Just got back and picked up an updated Health Cert for him... Vet's in love! Wants him bad! LOL! Offered to make him the office pet! I'm going to aim for Thursday on the 4:00 flight. Will make reservations and will confirm with you before I send him. May I call you? Or text message you? Cathy

Hey Minda!

How does Saturday look for you? Our weather will be below 80... you are forcasted to have a high of 88, but they will give me an hour by hour report tomorrow afternoon and it should be cooler by 7 pm. As lond as it's forcasted to have temps below 85 by 7 pm, we're good to go. The plane has to land before midnight (God! I hope so!) and you have to pick him up before midnight in order for it to be COD.

I will be at the airport by 2:00 pm, he will depart on Delta's ComAir Flight # 6779 at 4:20 pm. Should get to JAX at 7:11 pm. They usually unload them pretty quick, but you will have to pick him up at Cargo. You will need a Photo ID. I am shipping him with his pedigree and health Certificate. (Just have to find out if he needs an acclimation cert... one person said yeah, one said no...)

I'm going to give you call to let you know and make sure this is all OK...

Cathy
Hey Minda!

All set to go for tomorrow. Airline says the temps by you will be around 82 at 7 pm, within acceptabel levels. I had to get an Acclimation Certificate from the vet... to say the rabbit can travel in temps between 45 and 88 degrees... (it's supposd to be 85, but they said he'd be fine for a few minutes up to 88.)

Will call you tomorrow when I get him to the airport.

Cathy

So, now we're up to today. I'm about to take a shower and go see if the pet store has any special things I can get for you to start your new home here. I have my fingers crossed about the temperatures today. They are looking one degree too high and that has me really worried. If I have to wait, I have to wait... But I'm really hoping you'll be home with me tonight!

I have a thing about finding good events to make up for bad ones. This trip today is a good one. Blessing on this trip and on the story to come.

If I may add to Poe's saga... I just got home from the Airport. I was a nervous wreck leaving him there. I wanted to stay with him until they put him on the plane, but the TSA doesn't allow "unknown shippers" to stay with the "cargo". But I have to say, he looked fine when I left. Sitting up and looking around. He has plenty of hay to munch on and looked content. Everyone there was talking to him and he was just taking it all in stride. Didn't look upset or nervous. I will feel so much better once Minda has him, safe and sound.

He should be in the air now... and on his way!

Just got off the phone! Poe has landed and is snuggled under Elf Mommy's chin! She sounds very happy. He drank water and was alert and curious!

I am so happy for him and her!

It is SO hard to put him down, but I know he needs some rest. :)

Here are the photos from my cell phone...

In his carrier:

IMAG0006.jpg

With the door open, checking me out:

IMAG0007.jpg

And now a bunch of photos of him exploring his small temporary cage. I want to see what corner he chooses and see how he acclimates before building his NIC cage. He crawled around, checked everything out, and is resting in the litter box. I am watching carefully for poops and will let everyone know how it goes. :)

Photo Overload Commences NOW!

PoeHomecoming001.jpg

PoeHomecoming002.jpg

PoeHomecoming004.jpg

PoeHomecoming005.jpg

PoeHomecoming007.jpg

PoeHomecoming008.jpg

PoeHomecoming009.jpg

PoeHomecoming010.jpg

PoeHomecoming011.jpg

PoeHomecoming012.jpg

PoeHomecoming013.jpg

PoeHomecoming014.jpg

OMG!!! I just noticed I caught bunny tongue on his first day home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PoeHomecoming017.jpg

PoeHomecoming018.jpg

I put a few pellets in the bowl. He is eating them now! :D

Oh wow he is so darn adorable....i just love his soft black fur...what a handsome boy...i know you must be so happy and relieved to finally have him home with you.

ohhh and in one of the picture's i'm sure i see a little bunny tongue....so cute!

Back