French Angora, Flemish Giant Mix or Dutch??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
melbaby80 wrote:
LindseyG wrote:
Of course being the angora person i say go for the angora, that would probably be the best option out of your 3 choices.

melbaby80 wrote:
I'd go for the flemish/hotot babies due to their situation. They seem to be more of a need to rescue. Weird combination by the way! Flemish are pretty hardy so if size is a concern then I'd truly go for the flemish/hotot.

The dutch is at a humane society and if he's as sweet as you say then he should do alright finding a great home.

Angora's are tons of work, but you already know this. I had an english angora, and everything stuck to her fur, poop, pee, hay, bedding, everything. It had become to much for me so I rehomed with a great family who was into spinning.

My vote is the flemish/hotot.

You should never ever expose an angora to bedding of any type. As well as always keep the hay contained in a hay rack. I rarely get mats ans never get stuff stuck in the hair of my angoras.
Bedding as in newspaper. I never use the other junk out there. And hay lol they pulled it out of their hay rack, there was no stopping it :(
Then good you found a good Wool spinner to take that sweetie off your hands. It takes a special person to raise a Wool breed. Lots of dedication. And like you, think them as pets.

Regarding bedding, I use Eco bedding, which by far beats newspaper, because it is sterilized. I'll pay a little bit more, but know My Rabbits are completely safe from any harm. And regarding the hay, constantly taking it out of their fur. But then again, I do lots of grooming, knowing that my Lion Heads need lots of dedication in grooming.

K:)

Karen if you're thinking of being an rabbit advocate as you claim then you need to check out the definition. You claimed Nelsons_Mom was being irresponsible, but I feel you are too in the contradicting information you're throwing out there about yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_advocate

Animal advocates view the consumption of animals used for meat as inhumane. They primarily follow a vegan life style. PETA and the humane society of America push for ad's in a vegan lifestyle. Currently the humane society of America is trying to stop commercial farming of pigs and are pushing for alternatives to meat.

"Veganarchism is the political philosophy of veganism (more specifically animal liberation) and anarchism, creating a combined praxis as a means for social revolution.[19][20] This encompasses viewing the state as unnecessary and harmful to animals, both human and non-human, whilst practising a vegan diet. Veganarchists either see the ideology as a combined theory, or perceive both philosophies to be essentially the same.[21] It is further described as an anti-speciesist perspective on green anarchism, or an anarchist perspective on animal liberation.[20]

The term was popularised in 1995 with Brian A. Dominick's pamphlet Animal Liberation and Social Revolution, described as "a vegan perspective on anarchism or an anarchist perspective on veganism".[18] The 18-page pamphlet explains how many young anarchists in the 1990s had been adopting deep ecological (animal-inclusive and anti-speciesist) mindsets as part of an overall green anarchist political philosophy. Similarly animal liberationists were becoming increasingly influenced by anarchist thought and traditions, thus becoming veganarchists and adopting an overall praxis.[20]"

You stated in the introductions section that you feel this forum should also include sections on rabbits as meat. I find that contradicting to your statement of being a rabbit advocate. I find being part of a PET forum should also be separated from pets being viewed as meat. Just a thought.

I advocate for the support that all animals should be rsised and killed humanely, farm animals are what they are. An advocate does not put an animal on a pedestool and call them god like peta wants ppl to do. And peta is not even a orginization that should be mentioned with anything regarding animal welfare/rights

Advocates DO put animals on a pedestal. PETA is an example of an animal advocate group gone array. They are indeed a animal rights group regardless of how extreme they are. (Not that I defend them, they are not my kind of group and nor is the humane society for America)

The animal humane society for America also puts animals on a pedestal as they push for the vegan way of life. Don't believe me? Go to their website and become part of their fan club on facebook. You will see exactly what I am referring to. Both are advocates for animal rights regardless of how you personally view them.

I would never consider myself an advocate for animals because I consume meat and meat products. I do not purchase organic because it is pricey, but I believe in the humane treatment of animals.

My point is if you're going to advocate for animal rights or consider yourself an advocate then state you're okay with America's 3rd largest pet population as being viewed for meat consumption both ideals are contradicting and irresponsible in terms of your means of education.

melbaby80 wrote:
Advocates DO put animals on a pedestal. PETA is an example of an animal advocate group gone array. They are indeed a animal rights group regardless of how extreme they are. (Not that I defend them, they are not my kind of group and nor is the humane society for America)

The animal humane society for America also puts animals on a pedestal as they push for the vegan way of life. Don't believe me? Go to their website and become part of their fan club on facebook. You will see exactly what I am referring to. Both are advocates for animal rights regardless of how you personally view them.

I would never consider myself an advocate for animals because I consume meat and meat products. I do not purchase organic because it is pricey, but I believe in the humane treatment of animals.

My point is if you're going to advocate for animal rights or consider yourself an advocate then state you're okay with America's 3rd largest pet population as being viewed for meat consumption both ideals are contradicting and irresponsible in terms of your means of education.
I'm not a veggan. I absolutely love steak and potatoes. I'm still by right allowed to speak about rabbits.

Also as you state the stats on rabbits viewed for meat consumption, would you please look up the stats of people on unemployment, retired, or working to survive. I did.

A person, do does not view the WHOLE picture. is contradiction and irresponsible IMHO.

That's what a forum who educates people about a bunny will be successful at. It's a shame in fighting for a cause, the view narrows and the message gets lost. Seen it happen with other activists and other issues. Thankfully that's not how I view an advocate.

ZRabbits wrote
Also as you state the stats on rabbits viewed for meat consumption, would you please look up the stats of people on unemployment, retired, or working to survive. I did.

A person, do does not view the WHOLE picture. is contradiction and irresponsible IMHO.
Okay? What does that have to do with my point? It doesn't because regardless of the unemployment rate, retired or working to survive not everyone raises rabbits for meat. Your whole picture is vague. My father is retired and he's not raising rabbits for meat. My grandparents are retired and they are not raising rabbits for meat. My brother is mentally disabled and not working yet he is not raising rabbits for meat. I have family and friends who do not work and live off what they can, but are not raising rabbits for meat or any other kind of animal.

Point again is "Animal advocates view the consumption of animals used for meat as inhumane. They primarily follow a vegan life style". That's my point and I find your two views contradicting of one another to then turn around and try to educate on contradicting facts and call someone else irresponsible, that to me does not make sense.

Sure you're entitled to debate, defend your opinion, etc, but to throw the word "irresponsible" out on someone for stating opinions is just an uneducated assumption. That is where I am going with all this. I felt bad for nelsons_mom when you stated such. My holland was not socialized and it took her 1 day to become extremely social to the point where she is sleeping on me or my husband. I have taken in dogs who were abused and socialized them in a week. Her response was not irresponsible. Sure some animals are harder then others but if an animal is a baby then socializing can be easy. Research, its not that difficult to do.
I apologize for hijacking this thread. :threadhijacked: I won't be posting on this topic anymore. I just had to defend the integrity of someone's comment.

What makes a rabbit any more of a pet than a chicken, cow, or pig?? All three make wonderful pets, pigs are even smarter than dogs. yet people still eat them. I had pet chickens at one point, i liked them just as much as i do my rabbits. People eat them every day and it doesnt make them monsters. You can love an animal and support that animal and still eat it. At least most rabbits that are eaten arent tortured like the animals wrapped up nicely in those packages from the grocery store.
What karen im sure was trying to get at was people try to support themselves and their families anyway they can. Many want to know where their food comes from and in some places rabbits are the only legal "livestock" animal they can raise.
As for socialization it does make a huge difference how a rabbit is brought up but it also has to do with breed or genetics. I adopted my flemish at the age of 4 months and to this day he is still untame, he is two years old now.

LindseyG wrote:
What makes a rabbit any more of a pet than a chicken, cow, or pig?? All three make wonderful pets, pigs are even smarter than dogs. yet people still eat them. I had pet chickens at one point, i liked them just as much as i do my rabbits. People eat them every day and it doesnt make them monsters. You can love an animal and support that animal and still eat it. At least most rabbits that are eaten arent tortured like the animals wrapped up nicely in those packages from the grocery store.
What karen im sure was trying to get at was people try to support themselves and their families anyway they can. Many want to know where their food comes from and in some places rabbits are the only legal "livestock" animal they can raise.
As for socialization it does make a huge difference how a rabbit is brought up but it also has to do with breed or genetics. I adopted my flemish at the age of 4 months and to this day he is still untame, he is two years old now.
People like this aren't worth it Lindsey. They refuse to open their minds and will bully their way to what they want and than go haha see this is what everyone wants.

Lindsey, wondering about the amount of care on an angora. You mentioned you cant use litter ect bc it sticks to their fur. Keep them shaved?

melbaby80 wrote:
LindseyG wrote:
Of course being the angora person i say go for the angora, that would probably be the best option out of your 3 choices.

melbaby80 wrote:
I'd go for the flemish/hotot babies due to their situation. They seem to be more of a need to rescue. Weird combination by the way! Flemish are pretty hardy so if size is a concern then I'd truly go for the flemish/hotot.

The dutch is at a humane society and if he's as sweet as you say then he should do alright finding a great home.

Angora's are tons of work, but you already know this. I had an english angora, and everything stuck to her fur, poop, pee, hay, bedding, everything. It had become to much for me so I rehomed with a great family who was into spinning.

My vote is the flemish/hotot.

You should never ever expose an angora to bedding of any type. As well as always keep the hay contained in a hay rack. I rarely get mats ans never get stuff stuck in the hair of my angoras.
Bedding as in newspaper. I never use the other junk out there. And hay lol they pulled it out of their hay rack, there was no stopping it :(

Oh ok, sorry I misunderstood you. Baby coat is MUCH different than the adult coat, the baby coat mats very easily and gets things stuck in it easily while the adult coat is a little easier. Once they go through their first molt the grooming gets a lot easier. I keep one of my angoras in a "puppy clip" though, I shave his hair exept for his ears, he is happy this way and he is free from tangles and can run and play in the hay and dirt as he pleases. That said Angoras are not for everyone and it does take a dedicated person to own them.

fuzz16 wrote:
Lindsey, wondering about the amount of care on an angora. You mentioned you cant use litter ect bc it sticks to their fur. Keep them shaved?
I keep mine in wire cages 30x36". They have a hay rack and water bottle and toys in there. They get time to run in an xpen too. It takes about 5 minutes per day (per rabbit) to brush them out and about 10 minutes per week I spend (per rabbit) blowing them out with my blower. This loosens all the dead hair and detangles as well as gets rid of the dander that has built up under the wool. Some rabbits like my Furby who hate grooming take longer because they scratch. Actually furby is about to get clipped because he hates grooming so much and his belly is starting to get tangled. He is my only rabbit that doesn't tolerate grooming.

Really once you get into the habit of it grooming them is just as simple as cleaning a cage or changing a water bottle.

A good solution to not using litter is to cover your litter box in wire so they don't actually ever sit in the litter. When I got cottonball from the pet shop I found him he had pine shavings embedded all in his hair. He was a mess! Everything sticks to them, they cannot have loose bedding in their cage.

I wanted to clip her, but she hated grooming so much and all the tutorials I looked up on youtube were not helpful, it was more of a commercial thing in terms of sheering. I just always felt like my angora was constantly having things in her fur, I even covered the litter box with chicken wire to keep her separate from her poops, but it still managed to get stuck.

Do you record tutorials or videos for grooming? I think with the amount of people that have angora's or want them, coming from you per-say would do wonders as to how to groom them! I agree it does really take dedication and patience. 100% agree with you on that one.

All you need is a pair of fabric shears and be careful not to cut their skin. They don't look pretty afterwards but it gets the job done! They usually even out and look good in a couple weeks... I have used electric clippers on one, it's dangerous though if you don't have a professional pair and good blades because their skin is very thin and they can get cut easily. Wish you would have asked me about the clipping before you rehomed her. :(

I think I will do tutorials on the three ways that I groom, there are not many videos out there.

Me too, as I think she was bonding with me, but I had even emailed the breeder I got her from and she never responded back to me. At least others can learn from my mistakes and also gain some education from you as well.

When clipping an angora, you need to be very careful with scissors. I use dog clippers and have never cut a rabbit using them, but have done some small cuts with scissors. I have done totally matted (like to the skin and it comes off in a pelt) and not cut the rabbit.
If you can, find someone who has good tools and knows rabbits to help you. Clippers are really the only way to safely deal with any matting that is near the skin. Someone who knows rabbits will know how to handle them properly too. It usually takes me about 30-45 minutes to do Lillian my giant angora.

As far as litter and stuff getting in the wool, I don't really have a problem. I have a grate over the litter box and I clean the box twice a week. The hay is in a hay rack, but still ends up in the box. I use fleece blankets in the cage and foam mats in the pen. Since she is litter trained, she isn't peeing and pooping all over. There really isn't anything to get stuck in the wool. The only problem is that she gets excess ceotropes, so those can make her bum dirty. I do tend to trim her belly between full clippings to help keep her cooler and will tidy up her bum as needed.

I think you guys scared Wooly_Hopper away. :C Perhaps someone should pm a mod and ask that the discussion is split off into another topic; its rather over taken the thread! :p

Anyway, I know I'm late with this, but my thoughts are; huge house=take them all! lol. No, but really; perhaps you could get two? That's only if you can keep them separate until their both neutered, of course, and you're willing to try bonding males.

My suggestion is getting a baby gate(or...maybe something sturdier, for your dog!), and splitting the house however works best, so the rabbit and dog are kept separate at least some of the time? I know the breed is gentle, but they're also huge; it cuts out the risk of accidents happening when you're out. It will also cut down the areas you have to rabbit proof. :p

Latest posts

Back