Free roam but don’t really leave hutch and play area?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura stone

Reaction score
My two bonded buns are recently free roam after we rehomed another couple who they did not get along with.
Now they have a 2 floors double hutch and a big play area with toys, unlimited hay, beds etc etc and as there is no more fighting etc we leave the hutch open all day and night. Our hutch is in the back of our kitchen. They never leave that area. What would be the reason for this? My partner just says it’s because they are happy with the space they do have and don’t feel the need to run around exploring but I feel otherwise :( any ideas??

Rabbits are generally quite inquisitive. And they love to explore. You only got them recently, so they are probably just getting used to your area.
Leave the doors open and let them hop out in their own time and on their own terms. I’ve found that when my rabbit explores he’ll do a few steps out of wherever he is and then will run back to his home base. It maybe that it takes a whole week until they come out but they will probably still do it. You could also lure them out by placing a small treat it price of fruit outside of where you want them to go.

My two bonded buns are recently free roam after we rehomed another couple who they did not get along with.
Now they have a 2 floors double hutch and a big play area with toys, unlimited hay, beds etc etc and as there is no more fighting etc we leave the hutch open all day and night. Our hutch is in the back of our kitchen. They never leave that area. What would be the reason for this? My partner just says it’s because they are happy with the space they do have and don’t feel the need to run around exploring but I feel otherwise :( any ideas??
What is your flooring like? Bunnies need soft non-slip floor with traction. Try putting some mats down and handfeed them outside their area?

^ I was wondering the same thing. If the kitchen floor is slick, they may not feel comfortable walking on it (or walking on it yet).
That they are now staying in their hutch shows that they consider that their safe zone, their territory -- which is a good thing! It can take some rabbits awhile to feel comfortable enough to wander and explore. Right now they are getting used to all the new sights, sounds, and smells of their new area.

The last time we moved, I kept our rabbits confined to their cage for over a week (too much activity and settling in on our part). When I opened their cage it took less than a day for one of the pair to wander out and explore. My other rabbit wouldn't venture out for another 2 weeks (or was it even longer? a month?). It is just the way he happens to be. Give them time. They'll come out when they are ready. (If you think it could be the floor, try putting a mat down.)

They have been living in the area for about a year now but had to share it with another couple who they were very territorial with. Since that couple have been rehomed they barely come out of their hutch and play/bedroom area at all! The last pic of them outside the hutch is actually so rare! Here are some pics of my set up. The double hutch is attached to their play area via a tunnel connecting them. The hutch is left open all day so they are completely free roam but not making the most of it. Shall I get some foam tiles perhaps??

Attachments

• 0E67EB4C-4601-463D-8177-AE4502C6D570.jpeg
    0E67EB4C-4601-463D-8177-AE4502C6D570.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 099D4CDF-C011-4FE0-835B-6B1B4F43B17B.jpeg
    099D4CDF-C011-4FE0-835B-6B1B4F43B17B.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 5FB47722-872F-45AC-B658-10074F7B44A4.jpeg
    5FB47722-872F-45AC-B658-10074F7B44A4.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 8
They have been living in the area for about a year now but had to share it with another couple who they were very territorial with. Since that couple have been rehomed they barely come out of their hutch and play/bedroom area at all! The last pic of them outside the hutch is actually so rare! Here are some pics of my set up. The double hutch is attached to their play area via a tunnel connecting them. The hutch is left open all day so they are completely free roam but not making the most of it. Shall I get some foam tiles perhaps??
I would try putting something non-slip on the floor (non-slip bath mats are good) and add a couple of hiding places.

Back