Free roam bunnies in cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeyandluna

Reaction score
So I have recently started letting my rabbits sleep out of the cage at night since the cage is usually full of poop when i wake up to let them out and i figured theyd like it better with not having to sleep in it until i wake up. Last night, i put them in their cage with some hay around 5 am because i was still tired haha, but when i woke up to let them out, I noticed the hay was gone, but there wasnt any poop like there normally is? I mean, they have a litter box and are starting to use it more so maybe they just didnt wanna go to the bathroom in their cage? I dont know. Should i be worried? Or am i overthinking this and this has happened to someone else?

Typically rabbits do not like to poo where they are laying down. It sounds like they are getting the hang of going poo in their litter box. I'd suggest letting them sleep in their cage (with hay) and see if they don't continue that good behavior.

Stray poos in the cage tend to lessen in time anyway. The excess poos early on are just their marking the cage as their territory.

So I have recently started letting my rabbits sleep out of the cage at night since the cage is usually full of poop when i wake up to let them out and i figured theyd like it better with not having to sleep in it until i wake up. Last night, i put them in their cage with some hay around 5 am because i was still tired haha, but when i woke up to let them out, I noticed the hay was gone, but there wasnt any poop like there normally is? I mean, they have a litter box and are starting to use it more so maybe they just didnt wanna go to the bathroom in their cage? I dont know. Should i be worried? Or am i overthinking this and this has happened to someone else?

I generally don't think rabbits should run loose at night since you can't keep an eye on them. No matter how good you rabbit proof, a bored unsupervised bunny will always find a way to get in trouble.
They're probably starting to use their litter box. I usually find that putting the hay next to the litter pan to be a good encouragement. My Netherland Dwarf, Sadie, is finally keeping her cage clean thanks to that little trick. Bunnies tend to keep to a favorite spot. However with poop, a few stray jellybeans are to be expected with most rabbits, thank goodness they are dry and easy to pick up. LOL

I generally don't think rabbits should run loose at night since you can't keep an eye on them. No matter how good you rabbit proof, a bored unsupervised bunny will always find a way to get in trouble.

They're probably starting to use their litter box. I usually find that putting the hay next to the litter pan to be a good encouragement. My Netherland Dwarf, Sadie, is finally keeping her cage clean thanks to that little trick. Bunnies tend to keep to a favorite spot. However with poop, a few stray jellybeans are to be expected with most rabbits, thank goodness they are dry and easy to pick up. LOL

Lol, yeah I agree! They are pretty good at night. I usually hear them munching on their hay until like 2 or so then they either hop into their cage to lay in their box bed, lay next to my bed, or lay on it with me. I do agree though that they tend to get into trouble around 5 or so (thats why i initially had put them up), they run around the room chasing each other and hop all over me while doing it or they claw the carpet and pull it out. They dont usually eat it though. They have, but they mostly just pull it up and do it again. Ive put down blankets though where they do it and they havent done it in a while. Should i make them sleep back in their cage? I just worry that their feet will get worse. Im taking them to the vet for sore hocks as soon as the vets back, which is on the 15th so i worry that if their cage is dirty then theyll get worse.

Latest posts

Back