Freckles had her litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bummblebee

Reaction score
Freckles had her litter at about 6am this morning April 26 I was up all night checking and the last time I checked there was fur over her nest so I knew she had them I checked there were 5 one didnt make it :( But the rest are warm to the touch and have full bellys :thumbup Any advise for a first time mommy of new born bunnies is greatly appreciated.

This is Freckles coming out of her nesting area that is attached to her hutch

March002-4.jpg

Freckles litter after we looked them over

babyrabbits004.jpg

Freckles decided to have her kits next to the nesting box instead of inside

babyrabbits001.jpg

Congrats on the new kits! hopefully someone can move this to the rabbitry forum for you so you can get some good advice

Questions I have

1. Im worried shes going to step on them when she feeds them should I be?

2. Does she uncover them so they know its time to feed? Her fur is over top of them is why Im asking?

3. Do the kits know when it's feeding time I know they must but will they search there way to a teet?

Im just a nervious wreck these are my first litter !
Im bitting my nails I just could use any advise

Yes, she'll step on them. Mine do all the time. From what I've heard, it's decently rare for them to hurt the kits. My girls have small boxes, like most people, so when they get in they have to turn around. If they step on the kits, the kits'll usually squeel, and she should move. The only real problem is if there's danger around the cage, and she thumps. Sometimes they just don't think, and thump on their babies if they get scared.

2+3. Does she uncover them so they know its time to feed? Her fur is over top of them is why Im asking? Do the kits know when it's feeding time I know they must but will they search there way to a teet?
She'll most like uncover them. However, she'll just stand over them when it's time to eat. They're go crazy when they smell/hear/feel momma. She'll leave when she's done feeding them. That's where you come in. Make sure everyone got enough to eat. Sometimes I offer the runt an extra few feedings, if he's much smaller than his siblings.

It's good that she's already fed them. It sounds like she's doing her job, and should keep doing so. =D

Congrats on the litter.

bummblebee wrote:

2. Does she uncover them so they know its time to feed? Her fur is over top of them is why Im asking?

3. Do the kits know when it's feeding time I know they must but will they search there way to a teet?

You've got a good nest box, it's not so high that she has to jump in blind, and walking on them a little doesn't hurt them.

They will sense mom nearby and zero in like little torpedoes, through rain, sleet and nesting materials, no worries there.

Just keep an eye on their bellies, if they're fat like a ping-pong ball, they've been fed.  If one or more is skrunken looking, they may need additional feedings, but cross that bridge if you ever come to it.  You probably won't!

sas :bunnydance:

Thanx guys I feel better Just hearing your comments I know she knows what she has to do I think my mothering instincts are getting in the way but she has done great so far Ill be glad when they dont look so little and fragile lol

Many does will go in and uncover the fur a bit and gently nudge the babies if they don't already know she's there. She'll feed them quickly...usually recover them after stimulating them to pee/poop and be gone.

Sounds like she's doing a great job - don't fret.

Mama bunnies that know their job do far better when we leave them alone and let them do it.

I do love to praise my does and give them a small treat whenever I check the nest...like a cheerio or a baby carrot or something.

Latest posts

Back