Frankfort and Lunalovely :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frank and luna both have blankies in their cages that they dig and throw and lay under/on. someone had suggested that before the dates start to maybe switch the blankets to put their scents with eachother, does anyone think that this is a good idea or would it stress them out too much?
just wondering :)

Definitely a good idea to switch toys, blankies, food bowls and litterboxes. Do it gradually but they need to get used to each others scents eventually and it's a good first step before initial dating.

Sounds like a good idea to me as well to gets things started and them used to each others smell.

Seems like a good idea to me as well.

okay i would love some opinions on my idea for this dating idea.
they have started going to eachother for comfort through the cage. we were vaccuming the floors (something frank hates and turns out luna does too) and they ran to the shared wall and huddles "against" eachother until we were done. they also spend their nights and days sleeping or sitting next to the others cage wall when the other one is on their side.

so my idea is that since tomorrow is one week of luna being here that i would switch their blankies for 3 days. and then start the dates instead of waiting the two weeks. does that seem to be okay? i just feel like if they are going to eachother for comfort and being calm with the other (except the moments when they find slivers of free space and touch noses and then binky excitedly) then those are signs that dating time is soon, right?

:)

so my idea is that since tomorrow is one week of luna being here that i would switch their blankies for 3 days. and then start the dates instead of waiting the two weeks. does that seem to be okay? i just feel like if they are going to eachother for comfort and being calm with the other (except the moments when they find slivers of free space and touch noses and then binky excitedly) then those are signs that dating time is soon, right?

:)

I for sure think those are good signs. And I think your process you talked about with switching blankies for 3 days and then start dating seems VERY reasonable. Like I mentioned, I started dating with my two earlier than I originally planned too because of similar signs you mentioned yours doing. My male had just been fixed and I had initially wanted to wait longer than 5 days (how long he was here) to let hormones dissipate but they were showing such positive interest in each other I jumpstarted the whole process and things went fabulous. Never a scuffle, never a fight. They are happily married today :)

Now with that being said, what I didn't rush was the dating itself. Even though things were always so positive I kept dates short and always ended on a positive note. I never wanted a fight to set us back. So I would give you that advice. Things seems to be looking SO great for your two, it might be tempting to rush things but til this day I credit the slow and steady approach with our success.

So excited for you. I'll still be watching for the progress!!! :)

thankyou!!:)
also as a quick side note* she still is very uneasy around people. but she does seem to be warming up to my boyfriend, so even if its not me yet we have Perry in her corner! yay!

a little update. luna is starting to warm up a lot more :) im hoping to do the first date tomorrow night ( a little earlier then what they suggested but with how they interact through the bars (with the see through plexi glass keeping them from touching) i just dont see why they couldnt have a date. and if its goes bad or something is wrong then we will wait longer.

anywayyyy, here is an adorable video my boyfriend took of her while she was out (she got 6hours out today!- frank is out right now. he is the one you see in the larger cage.)
she is such a binkier. she does it for hours while she is out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm-ywVieiSM[/ame]

Aww her binkys are GREAT! She really looks like she is a happy bun settling in very well. And Frank really seems not bothered by her frolicking which is another great sign.

I just have to offer this advice, for the very first date keep it short and end it when things are going good. It's so tempting, if you see them really hitting it off, to just keep the date going but you want to avoid stretching it too far at first so you keep things positive and not let it get to a negative point.

I have a great feeling about your two :) so exciting! Let us know how the date goes!

Awww, she looks so happy and I just love seeing them race around like that, it just makes me smile so much.

And Frank doesn´t seem to take the slightest bit of notice, he´s busy with his things which is a great sign.

I really hope this goes well as I ´m expecting to see these two together quite soon...fingers crossed

WOW that is a lot of binkies!!!

Yes she LOVES being out of the cage. she is constantly binkying and racing around when she gets out.

on another topic though, i went to the petshop to get pellets for them. right now they were eating LM brand (i was planning on changing it down the road) but they were out. so i picked up Kaytee Timothy Complete. i got the kind that had no seeds, no flowers, no hay pieces, its just pure pellet. i looked on the back and it said 13-14% protein and 1% fat. so i assumed that that was a good percentage?

i still have a decent amount of their old pellets. so i was planning to mix the two with small amounts of kaytee (increasing the kaytee every night) until they are on kaytee totally.
does that sound okay? i had seen some things saying that the kaytee brand wasnt good because of the seeds nd hay pieces but the kind i picked up had JUST pellets. and they seem darker and smell better then the ones they are on now.

so. tonight we did a bonding session (Second time. last night we one too. 5 min each).
and luna has been very aggresive and attacked frank both times..
the first time we almost instantly. and we got them apart (very quickly. no injuries) and had them near eachother for a minute or two after to try to end it on a relatively calm note. frank was a shooken up but not very.
tonight though we started the session. she was pretty mad looking but wasnt moving at him or anything. he wasnt paying attention to her at all. just running around exploring since it was in a new room they hadnt been in. (same room as last night though). well as SOON as he went over to her she lunged for him. i grabbed him and my boyfriend grabbed her. she tried her best to get to him still but perry had a good grip. she calmed down and frank started to freak out. breathing fast, eyes as wide as could be, huddled tightly under my arm..i decided to separate them and end the session (i know it was not on a good note but i just couldnt see frank calming down enough and it was worrying me). he took a bit to relax again. i was petting him on the floor by his cage for a bit til he finally relaxed and started acting normal. and she was put in the cage and instantly relaxed and layed down in her litter box.
what is going on with her? she just instantly goes into attack mode..

since we are taking a break in bonding frank and luna right now (going to try again in 2 days. which is aweek from the last bonding that failed) i figured id give an update on the two seperately.

luna- she is...difficult. she does NOT come out of her cage unless you TAKE her out. otherwise she just sits in the corner the whole time the door is open. (for about 4-5 hours a day.). so we have recently started picking her up and placing her outside of her cage when its her time out. then she kind of gets the hint that its her time out and she runs around. she still hates us coming towards her. and if frank is in site she goes into aggressive bunny mode. the same as if hes out and shes in the cage. she isnt a fan of him being near her. /: not sure how the bonding will go wenesday. a little nervous i might just be setting up another fight. /:
but other then all that she is eating and drinking well and pottying well. she has finally grasped the idea of a litterbox outside her cage instead of peeing on the carpet. so with the exception of a few stray poo's she does well in the litter box area.
she really is a very sweet bunny. im just still unsure if she is the right bunny.. /:

frank-
he has had a few downs lately. he went to the vet for eye boogers that they originally thought was a prolapsed eyelid (it had gone away for the first initial visit but i brought a photo in.) then it came back a few days later so i took him right away that day and they realized it was actually soemthing IN his eye. she got it out and she thought it looked like stuffing or cotton but wasnt sure what it was. tonight he got one again so I took it out myself (he stayed very still in his daddys arms while i worked it out and got a treat for being so good after) and i think it might be his fur. his second level is fleece and it can get very sheddy on days i forget or dont have the time to lint roll it. so i think that when he flops over on the top level he gets fur in his eye /: so ill be keeping ontop of the second level. its his favorite spot to sleep.
i was also really suprised he didnt hate me after messing with his eye. he took his treat and let me cuddle and pet all over him after then binkied off. he is such a good sport. now if only hed let clip his nails instead of taking him to the vet. -.-

in non-bunny news. my leopard gecko laid a weird non fertile egg the other day. i thought she was done laying but apparently i was wrong. she is eating though so i think she will be okay. I wish she had the ability to lay a fertile egg though. im just glad she is happy.
right now she is trampling through her food dish. i swear she plays with her food more then eats it. poor worms are being tortured.

hope everybunny is having a good day:)

Okay. So I actually reread things and here's what I think now ;) I think Luna needs more time. Like, I think she still needs to find her own with you guys and you need to bond with her first. That may not always be the case with every but I feel like your description of things she hasnt had the chance (not by fault of your own, just her own unique personality) to get her own bearings.
It's funny because I do think rabbits do understand the difference between a human bond and rabbit bond but the more I read/research things I do think when bringing a new bun home, he or she needs to really feel secure before attempting a bond. And I think that's what's happening with yours.....Luna still for some reason feels threatened and nervous and it's not going well with trying to bond with Frank.
Maybe slow things back a bit and really attempt to form a relationship with her and go fro there.....

realized i hadnt updated this in a while. I am pretty upset to say that because of more fighting and one ALMOST BIGGG fight if i hadnt come in when i did we will be bringing luna back to the rescue. She is a VERY VERY VERY Sweet little girl but I just dont think that she is the match for frank. I sincerely hope that she gets placed in a forever home because she is adorable. and if we had the room to house two separate buns i wouldnt be bringing her back but sadly we just dont have that right now.. we are going to be putting off finding him a bondmate for a bit til we are in our next place so for right now our adoption fee will be moved to a donation instead of taking a refund.

thanks to everyone who read and replied. hope you have a great day!

I'm really sorry to hear that. Sometimes it just takes time. I've been in tears because of how bad the bonding with my two was going and I've had my second bun for two months now. He will just tolerate her through the bars after 2 months. I wasn't the biggest fan of him at first but now I've gotten so attached that I am determined to make this bond work no matter what it takes.

Some bonds can take up to a year but whatever you decide In the end I wish you luck!

It is such a shame and I can understand why you feel that way. I´ve had my ups and downs but I´m perservering and I know that things will work out in the end. It´s true what Michelle says that sometimes we have to go at their pace and not ours and it can be a really long process.

She looked such a lovely little girl, reminded me of my Snowy but if you´ve made up your mind you need to do what´s best for both you and her.

Latest posts

Back