Frankfort and Lunalovely :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PwnzorsNTittylwinks

Reaction score
so today was date day for my boy Frank :) we brought him over to the Columbus House Rabbit Society foster home to meet some lovely ladies and he got to meet three of them. the first was Luna, then Jordyn, and then Mira.

this is how the meetings went.
:bouquet:Luna: they kind of just ignored eachother, when Frank did get the courage to go up to her he would sniff her, bump noses and then run away and kind of half binky. it was very cute. Luna just watched from afar. she did hop around a little bit but mostly just sat and let frank do the 'work'. after a bit of that we decided to move on but definitely chalked it up as a win.

:panic:Jordyn: jordyn was newly spayed and pretty young so of course she was kind of all over the place. we knew it would be a bit difficult since it had only been 2 weeks since her spay but decided to still try it out. frank seemed a bit more interested in the hormones then anything else and with her being hyper and MUCH larger he seemed a little overwhelmed. other than the hormones and the initial shock of size though it was a nice little meeting. so we moved on to the next and put her as a maybe.

:devilMira: mira was a very very very dominant bunny and a tad aggressive. im sure she would be the perfect match for a very submissive bun but frank isnt the one. as cute as she was she was just a bit too much of the head of the house for our man. during her visit he was actually more interested in trying to sniff where luna had been instead of paying attention to mira. which lead to a few-almost fights (so scary btw. so happy that the CHRS co-founder was there because I wasnt going to be too emotionally stable if the fur started flying. especially since i dont think frank would of won against her.

after the three "dates" we decided to put luna back in and they seemed a lot more interested in eachother and frank was definitely excited.
in the end we decided on taking luna home! :)

right now they are both in their cages (luna's temporary) near eachother so they can watch eachother but not touch eachother just yet. theyll do this and go back and forth from being out and about til we start our at-home "dates" in 2 weeks.
I have a very good feeling about these two :)
luna is an absolutel doll and im so happy we decided to take her home. :)
YAY!: )

stay tuned for more love boat stories between frankfort and lunalovely;) pictures coming too*:camera**:mrsthumper:

I´m so glad that Frank´s found a ladyfriend, I always think they are happier with company, can´t wait to see pics of them both...

How exciting! When I was reading the dating stories right away I thought Luna sounded like a great match. As I told you I'm a sucker for a bunny love story and bonding my two was such a joy I always root for the next couple-to-be :)
I'll be watching for more and ca t wait to see pics. Congrats on your new bun!

day one with luna :)

we bought her lots of toys today and a new girly water bowl.
also, today we let her roam the apartment for a bit so she can explore her new home! :) frank is in his cage while she is out with a see through (plexi glass) gaurd between his cage and the room so that they can see eachother but they cant touch noses or anything while she is out in "his territory"
she has found her area to lounge in by the front of her cage (first time she has really relaxed since bringing her home, and shes has been binking all over the place in the living room. shes such a sweetheart.

one thing i am a little worried about though is that they seem very very into eachother, and i cant tell if its good that they show so much interest in eachother or if its bad and could cause something to happen. earlier while feeding the both of them frank was out while luna was in her cage and i looked away long enough that they were sniffing and bumping noses. franks movements where very fast and so were hers but i couldnt tell if it was out of excitement or aggression. their ears werent back and they didnt seem like "lunge" movements. just fast and darting.
has anyone else seen this? im not going to start putting them into bonding dates (in our closet) until 2 weeks (so feb 3rd) does that sound right? or should i try sooner if they are so interested in eachother?

either way i cant wait to see how they are together! :)
luna seems very comfortable with the space, i just need to work with her bonding with us, she still looks a little jumpy around us.

forgot to include pictures of the new girl! her in her new lounge spot and her exploring the bottom shelf of a book shelf in the living room. her first spot she chose to jump into, (and franks first spot when we first got him too)

securedownload.jpg

securedownload (1).jpg

She is a real beauty and what a great sign that she is lounging already!

As far as the darting and fast movements without seeing it for sure no way to say for certain that it wasn't aggression but it sounds to me like just excitement. I let my two have alternate free run time too when I first brought Archie home and I remember initially they did act really "excited" about each other when one was out but that stopped after they got used to each other. I wouldn't worry about it yet since she is still so new.

Refresh my memory are you waiting 2 weeks because of a recent neuter or spay to allow hormones to dissipate? If so, then yes waiting can be a good idea. If NOT, then you *might not* need to wait two weeks. I waited 5 days.....basically followed my gut and watched how they acted towards each other and made sure my new guy was settled. But for my actual bunny dating I went pretty slow. My first couple dates were probably 5 or 10 minutes, always ending on a positive note.

Sounds like she is settling in and I will definitely follow your updates. Wishing you the best! Let me know if I can help in any other way :)

Oh I love her, she´s just like my Snowy, my little cuddlebun. Sounds to me like they´re excited and if there´s no sign of outward agression, maybe start sooner if they seems comfortable with each other. Lovely to see her lounging, that´s a great sign even though she may be a bit jumpy with you.

Can´t wait to hear if they hit it off, I´m sure they will and it will lovely to see pics of them together. I´m a sucker for a happy ending :bunny24

Refresh my memory are you waiting 2 weeks because of a recent neuter or spay to allow hormones to dissipate? If so, then yes waiting can be a good idea. If NOT, then you *might not* need to wait two weeks. I waited 5 days.....basically followed my gut and watched how they acted towards each other and made sure my new guy was settled. But for my actual bunny dating I went pretty slow. My first couple dates were probably 5 or 10 minutes, always ending on a positive note.

im waiting two weeks because thats what the shelter had suggested, i guess its not written in stone though, they both have had enough time between their spay/neuters that they should be okay in that department. how often did you do there dates? daily/every other day orrr?

I did one date a day to start and moved up to two dates a day towards the end. It took about 30 days to bond my two.
Follow your gut as best you can. Don't rush it by any means. If 2 weeks feels best then do that however if things are going okay I don't see why you can't try a date sooner than that. But, I should add that i do think *some* sort of introduction/settling in time is needed for the new bun and just exactly what that number is will vary from bun to bun.

this is Frank, the fellow of the two and our original bun. he is definitely king of the house and gets spoiled so im sure luna is excited to get in on the spoiled action :)

i think we are going to wait the full two weeks before the first date just because luna seems a bit more on the anxious side and i want her to feel safe before putting her into another new situation.
last night we let her run around the house more and she seemed to still not be totally sure that her cage her is her space, and was going potty everywhere even though while in the cage she does well at keeping it in the litter box. so we are deciding to do a little grace period of her being mainly in the cage for two days. and going to introduce her to the space little by little. then after we think shes doing okay with that we will start the dates. it took about two weeks for frank to grasp the "this cage is where i go potty. outside of the cage is where i play" idea so we are hoping its about the same for her.

she is very sweet though, she sat on my lap last night for about 10 minutes while i brushed her since she is shedding a lot :) even frank doesnt like sitting that long lol.

wednesday i take frank to get his nails trimmed. but other then that we dont have much "bunny events" going on this week. :)

p.s i think franks picture makes him look like squidward. hes such a cute little guy. :)

486912_10151369086398535_1260269457_n.jpg

That is such a great photo of him, he´s got such great markings, he a handsome little lad so no wonder Luna is excited.

Better to wait than to rush things. Now I can´t wait to see them together, they´ll make such a handsome couple.

Í am so excited to see if it all goes for that....can´t wait for the next episode :bunnieskiss

breaking news alert* my boyfriend and I found frank laying down (was flopped over but when he saw me he sat up into lounging) up against the seethrough barrier to lunas cage, he never sleeps in that area usually (his normal spot is infront of the bookshelf by our TV).
so this must be a good sign right? do you think he is laying there because its close to her or is it just a coincidence for him to be laying next to her cage? he has also started sleeping and sitting on the wall that their cages share, and he still likes to go over to her and then binky away when she acknowledges him. I am starting to feel like he may have a bit of a crush on little miss luna. :happybunny::bunnydance::blushan:

securedownload (2).jpg

Seems like a great sign to me! My two did that very thing when their cages were next to each other! :)

Seems like good news :) He is in the perfect bunny loaf position in that picture. It looks like he is smaller than her. Is that correct?

yes he is smaller:) not by too much though. i dont know what her breed is though so i cant really say to give you an idea of it. he is a little guy (Himalayan but his colors arent too dark yet)

today we cleaned out their litterboxes, and she doesnt seem to be a big fan of us still. she was rescued from a hoarding situation so i just wonder if she has some issues with people in general. hopefully we can help her out with that though :)
:litterempty:

Back