Fraggles vet visit. She needs to be spayed.....AGAIN!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bunnylova4eva wrote:
BertNErnie wrote:
I got a question, so if poor Fraggles was left with one ovary dosn't this mean if you had gotten a male introduced she could have had a litter?

I think you should ask the original vet questions, did they tell you it was only a partial spay?

is there any chance of you seeing her vet records?
hope all goes well for poor Fraggles. :pray:

Yeah, that's a good point.  with our vet on their website their a way to ask to get your pets records, or you can just call.  It might be helpful to look back and see..

I'm doubting that she could have a litter, as I'm guess they took the uterus..?

lol ok im being a bit thick but im sure the ovary must be attached to something if hormones are still present? cos when a woman has he tubed clipped/tied or whatever the hormones go down? but im Fraggles case there not? so its gotta be attached to something right?

Yeah, I"m just saying then the spay hardly consisted of anything then, even if it was sposed to be a full hysterectomy..? You know, when vets botch stuff, it gets confusing..

BertNErnie wrote:
Bunnylova4eva wrote:
BertNErnie wrote:
I got a question, so if poor Fraggles was left with one ovary dosn't this mean if you had gotten a male introduced she could have had a litter?

I think you should ask the original vet questions, did they tell you it was only a partial spay?

is there any chance of you seeing her vet records?
hope all goes well for poor Fraggles. :pray:

Yeah, that's a good point. with our vet on their website their a way to ask to get your pets records, or you can just call. It might be helpful to look back and see..

I'm doubting that she could have a litter, as I'm guess they took the uterus..?

lol ok im being a bit thick but im sure the ovary must be attached to something if hormones are still present? cos when a woman has he tubed clipped/tied or whatever the hormones go down? but im Fraggles case there not? so its gotta be attached to something right?
Well yes the ovary is probably attached to the abdominal wall or something and just just floating around, cutting the fallopian tubes should not have an effect on hormone production. As long as the ovaries are present, they will still produce eggs which will mature, they will just never make it to the uterus.

Well considering she does not have a uterus then no she cant produce a litter. However the ovary still releases hormones and is not very stable.

Here is what the vet had to say in the paperwork.

"Fraggles ultrasound revealed a single post spay ovary" "This ovary is being held in place with minimum unstable connective tissues" "This tissue is also very unsupportive and has allowed the ovary to move into an unnatural position in your rabbits body" "Furthermore this tissue runs the risk of dying thus killing the ovary and causing a serious infection"

I think the ovary is where most of the hormones are anyhow. When a person has a hystorectomy they leave the ovarys behind to keep the hormones at a normal level. Unless there is something wrong with the ovary then you may end up on hormones till you reach the age of menapause.

I think even if Fraggles had 3 or even 7 ovaries, a vet would have to have noticed them all! And yes, he must give you a very good compensation, I'd go for some more than the $ for the next surgery, as it also involves more risk and stress for you bunny, and therefore for you too. Make him give you some extra $50 or $100 to cover additional expenses as pain meds for Fraggles after the next surgery and all the handling of the situation.

well it sounds like Fraggles could have had some serious trouble infront of her if things turned bad, I would probably be more inclined to sue them, you never know how many other botched surgeries they have done then had to euthanise (sp) an animal because of their wrong doing in the first place. maybe this will teach them a lesson?

Wow that is really good they are going to pay everything without going to court, court is a PIA.

Back