Fraggles ate a ghirardelli chocolate square!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Fraggles, glad to see you acted so fast and it sounds like Fraggles is going to get through this just fine. As if the mighty Fraggles would allow something such as chocolate to do any real harm!

Mistakes happen though, that's the way it goes. Just learn from them and move on :)

I had no idea that chocolate was so deadly to rabbits.
I know that cats and dogs aren't suppost to eat it, but there have been incidents where my dog has gotten some and she was fine.

I would never give chocolate to Harley, but I'm def going to keep it far, far, faaarrr away now.

Fraggles should be fine, keep us updated!

Wow!!!! 14.9 pounds. Benjamin was 14.75 when he went to the vet on the weekend when he was so dehydrated. Imagine he is about 15 when normal. She is getting right up there with him. May have to do another thread on overweight bunnies. The vet didn't think he was too fat and she is a flemish giant so that is probably a good weight for her. She might have been stressed ( car ride, panicky parent, new vet ) that would have brought her heart rate up. Bet morning cannot come fast enough. How is Tattoo taking all this??

I think Fraggles was just trying to show Jason what it is like to have someone else eat your treats. Turn about is fair play, but next time dear Fraggles needs to choose her lesson points more carefully.

Or was it the tans that planted that chocolate?

:pray:

While fraggles is one lucky bunny and will be just fine, we all need to be extra careful when it comes to chocolate and our own pets. Katie did a great job and got Fraggles to the vet nice and quick, she is in excellent hands. You and Jason cant blame yourselves, this could have happened to anyone, especially with a bunny as special as fraggles lol

Note

Some animals for some reason can handle eating large ammounts of it with no ill effects, but there are other cases where just a dab on the nose has been enough to kill a beloved household pet.
Ofcoarse the more rich the chocolate the more dangerous it is, but since alot of "chocolate" we eat more often out there, doesn't actually have much of any real chocoalte in it, most incidences are pretty un-eventful.

Chocolate (Cacao) is dangerous for all animals, with dogs and cats we have the ability to get them to vomit (bit of Salt and Hydrogen peroxide poored down their throat) to prevent them from digesting the chocolate and letting it get through their system. We can't do this with bunnys which makes it more urgent to try and get them to a vet.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/f/FAQ_choctox.htm

If you think your bunny had ingested chocolate please contact a vet, in the case of chocolate toxicity, you dont need to worry about finding your "rabbit savvy" vet, just a vet that will see a rabbit, as the treatment for chocolate in bunnys is fairly similar to that of dogs and cats and we already know what the problem is. Phone them and explain your rabbits size, the type of chocolate they ate, and how much. They will be able to help determine if its necessary to be seen asap, for example if your bunny ate 1 chocolate oreo vs a Lindor dark chocoate bar.

Having personally spent many hours with vomiting pets in the back room of a clinic, critters eating chocolate is not a fun experience for anyone, nevermind the animal thats been effected.
This might be an excellent opportunity for us to refresh our memory with some toxic food lists.

http://www.helium.com/items/1372406-foods-that-are-poisonous-to-rabbits
http://www.3bunnies.org/poisonous_plants.htm#list

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. The vet said that if it had been milk chocolate there would not be a need to worry. But this was 70 percent cacao with a rich raspberry filling. Jason loves his chocolate. Its very possible though that tans are behind this...Those slender things are like a mafia after all. Fraggles is part checkered giant so her weight is supposed to be a bit on the hefty side but perhaps its time to make a fat bunny 3.

YAY! Fraggles is going to be okay! Thank you to you Katie and Jason for acting so quickly. Also thanks to the vet for saving Fraggles!

How's are SWEET Fraggles doing this morning?

I bet she can hardly wait for Mommie and Daddy to come and pickher up.

Give her a BIG :big kiss::big kiss:kiss from me and Daisy Mae.

Hugs

Susan:hug2:

We are waiting on Fraggles blood work and then we can get her. The vet called and said she is great and he does not see any issues. He did ask me if she "thumps like this at home?" Lol poor Fraggles, she wants to come home.

So Fraggles is home with us now. She flicked her feet upon exiting her carrier. Grabbed her plastic hanger and got under the coffee table. She is very very offended....Her vet bill was $576 dollars and .37 cents..... I guess they charge a $100 dollar emergancy fee....

Holy, $576? What on Earth did they do to rack it up that high? I understand emergency, overnight and blood work can be pricy but still, that sounds... High.

Oh I'm so glad Fraggles is home and better.

Your hubby better get out and do a couple of tatoos to pay that Vetbill:shock::biggrin:.

Give the girl some hugs from me and Daisy Mae.

Susan:)

Amanda I paid over $900 for a one night stay and a couple of xrays for Winston a couple of years ago. It's rediculous whay Vets charge:shock:.

I gotta find me a Vet Boyfriend:biggrin2:.:p

Susan:D

Well worth the money to make sure there were no lasting side effects. Jason may be working a couple of Saturdays to make it up. Not only did I not realize the danger of chocolate, but the price is a lot more than I remember.lol

Lol very pricey but worth the piece of mind. Her list of services were the emergancy fee plus the doctors exam ,sub-q fluids,sedation,charcoal blood panals and the overnight stay.....To be honest we were not that shocked by the bill.

Actually not that bad. Benjamin's last week was $365 for sub-q fluid, blood work, x-ray, critical care, gut mobility drug, B12 and exam. That did not include sedation, emergency fee or overnight stay. So under the circumstances not bad at all.

Latest posts

Back