Fractures hind leg, recovery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baeztandrea

Reaction score
Hi,
Yesterday my rabbit (Appa) had an accident running through some furniture, I'm not sure what happened but he broke his hind leg in 3 places. He was over at the emergency vet yesterday and the vet bandaged his leg and sent him with some anti-inflammatory medicine ( although its a very delicate situation he had a clean fracture, she says there's enough space for surgery to go right). He's going to have to go through surgery later this week, he's a free-roaming bun, so he keeps biting on the cage railing which really breaks my heart. He's been eating fine and drinking water. I was just wondering if you had any advice to make him more comfortable while we wait for surgery and after surgery recovery. The bandage seems really uncomfortable to him I understand it's hard to bandage rabbit legs, the silky hair doesn't help either. It's starting to slip down I'm not sure if to try to fix it a bit or wait until tomorrow to consult the vet.

Also, I have access to a 3D printer and workshop I thought maybe I could make him some sort of wheelchair for his recovery.. if anyone knows something that could work I'd appreciate the references. I'll also consult with the vet.

I'm not sure how to properly help him through his recovery so any advice will be really appreciated!

Aww that is so unfortunate. I hope for the best on the little guy's surgery and recovery, although i'm not knowledgeable when it comes to post-surgery foot recovery.
I don't think that he would need a wheelchair though, he won't be an amputee or a paralyzed bun, so he should do fine without wheels helping him. [I almost had an amputee myself, but the vet said that the big weak bun had too much else going on, so i missed that one (glad yet sad that i did)] The vet should be able to give you tips n tricks on how to make his recovery the best.
As for him biting the cage railings, can you perhaps cover em up with a thin bedsheet or towels, so that he couldn't rattle the bars and possibly cause damage to his teeth. Does he have enough toys in there to help him redirect his frustration? Gnawing sticks, tossable stuff, anything that he wouldn't mind? (Rabbits are very aware of their limits and tend not to push themselves)

If you google it, you should be able to find some diy instructions online for rabbit or small animal wheelchairs. This link also has some info.

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/wheelchairs.html
What kind of bandaging does the vet have you using? If it's just gauze, vet wrap may work better as it adheres to itself. Though you do have to be very cautious about how it's wrapped and not wrapping too tight that it cuts off circulation, which would be very bad. If you can consult with your vet today, that would be the best option.

Aww that is so unfortunate. I hope for the best on the little guy's surgery and recovery, although i'm not knowledgeable when it comes to post-surgery foot recovery.
I don't think that he would need a wheelchair though, he won't be an amputee or a paralyzed bun, so he should do fine without wheels helping him. [I almost had an amputee myself, but the vet said that the big weak bun had too much else going on, so i missed that one (glad yet sad that i did)] The vet should be able to give you tips n tricks on how to make his recovery the best.
As for him biting the cage railings, can you perhaps cover em up with a thin bedsheet or towels, so that he couldn't rattle the bars and possibly cause damage to his teeth. Does he have enough toys in there to help him redirect his frustration? Gnawing sticks, tossable stuff, anything that he wouldn't mind? (Rabbits are very aware of their limits and tend not to push themselves)
Yes I did the towel! it's working out, let's see how he does for the night. I'm sorry for your bun :( seems like you made the best decision. I'll get some toys in there, maybe he'll pay attention to them now, he didn't before.

Thank you for your advise

If you google it, you should be able to find some diy instructions online for rabbit or small animal wheelchairs. This link also has some info.

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/wheelchairs.html
What kind of bandaging does the vet have you using? If it's just gauze, vet wrap may work better as it adheres to itself. Though you do have to be very cautious about how it's wrapped and not wrapping too tight that it cuts off circulation, which would be very bad. If you can consult with your vet today, that would be the best option.
it's adhesive, I have to give him some antiinflammatory soon and I'll check the bandages. I should look for inflammation, redness, anything else? The vet did the wrapping, I'm sure she was careful with how tight it is but just in case he moved around to much in it I should make sure.

Thank your for the info !

Back