Found A Baby Rabbit...What Breed(s)?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluMagic

Reaction score
I was in another town visiting family friends when my brother and I came across some bunnies. I knew they weren't wild so we decided to see how close we could get. I caught one.

newbunny.jpg

She's an orange-ish color with cream underneath her rollback fur. Pretty small but what I believe was her mother was very good size. Her mom was white with an orange tint...hopefully it was her mom. If not it was what looked like a chestnut agouti. I'm really hoping she's a purebred but I'll never know. So if there's any shows I want her to be my Showmanship doe. Ideas? Comments?

UPDATE: Valerie is doing great. She has been outside and is loving it. One reason I brought home this little orange doe is so that Val can have a companion. I'm hoping to introduce them tomorrow.

Yep, not a cottontail. I don't know what breed, but it looks old enough to be away from her mom, so don't worry about that. That's all I wanted to add.

She's doing great with Valerie. Their sizes vary so much! 10lbs. of Black rabbit and 1lb. of Orange. :)

They bonded great and I swear Val is taking over the 'Mom' role for the baby...newly named Juvie (Juvenile). I'm so happy.

Any guesses on breed?

It really doesn't seem have the body type for a Flemish... but it could be the way it was moving at the time... but I would agree with a possible Palomino or Pal mix.

Looks a bit flemmie to me, but I'm definitely not an expert! however, I notice seeds and corn in their feed--that's really not very good for them. It's best to give them a feed that just contains rabbit pellets. Seeds and corn can wreck havoc on a bunny's sensitive GI tract.

They never eat the corn that I've seen. Its always at the bottom of the feeder. I usually feed Purina Rabbit Pellets but I ran out and had to buy this feed. THANKS!

Honestly, he looks like a golden palomino, which is much more common than the creme de argent that you were thinking.

Pals aren't too common in most areas. The coat on the rabbit in question is a long rollback, rather than the Pal flyback coat.

Pam

I don't think she's a flemmie. But as long as you're not breeding her or showing her..it shouldn't matter.

Latest posts

Back