Fostering bunnies!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MILU

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

It's been a long time since my MILU passed...
I didn't know if I could have bunnies again, even 'cause I've been traveling a lot lately, I spent almost all of last year traveling. So, being uncertain if I could have another bunny, I asked people who have a group that protects rabbits if they need a foster - they said yes - that's when 2 female sweethearts came to my home, on January 28. :D :brown-bunny :happybunny:

539194_597350030282247_803550439_n.jpg

481995_597354546948462_1810262853_n.jpg

521994_604092712941312_1079232746_n.jpg

One of them, Lola, is a brown Lionhead. She was adopted on Feb. 9. Let's see if she'll get along with the male bunny who lives at her new home. The new owner told me she's been bullying her new husband.. Ouch!

529798_604101306273786_752409452_n.jpg

The other one is a big gray bunny, I don't know what kind of bunny she is. She used to be bitten by Lola, who's much smaller than her, but she liked Lola even with the bites. Now the gray bunny is all by herself, not being bitten, but she's still afraid of me and now she's the one who bites me. She knows I put her friend in a cage and she never saw her anymore.. she thinks I'm mean, regardless of what I do for her :(
Bunny butt for me! :O

150964_597543690262881_1638829458_n.jpg

Last edited:
The gray bunny I'm fostering learned how to bite the gas hose from the stove and pull whatever is in her way to get there.. also learned how to escape from her area to go "decorate" the apartment. She didn't like the bathroom cabinets, so she destroyed them. Funny thing is, when I saw her, she was in her place as if nothing had happened!

166776_608932909123959_1108777466_n.jpg

526597_608933135790603_1938472509_n.jpg

Hahaha, I love her sense of style! It`s amazing ;)

Honestly, I don`t think there is ANYONE better to foster bunnies than you! I am so happy for you that you are able to contribute even since MILU`s passing! You are the best bunny mother and foster! :)

I will continue looking for updates missy :p

Yay, thanks, Michelle!! Wow, what a compliment, I'm blushing :bunny19
Fostering bunnies is definitely something else..

The brown bunny was adopted very soon, she only stayed here for 1.5 week. The gray bunny has been here for almost a month, and kinda started hating me after I put her friend in a cage and her friend "disappeared" (was adopted).

The brown bunny used to bite the gray one, but the gray one still liked her, and now she feels lonely...
She stays in a certain area of my apartment (not everywhere like MILU), it has some decent room for her, but of course I always let her go to the kitchen and living room if I'm around and got time to clean bunny stuff. haha

Sometimes she petitions me for a new friend: she doesn't poop in her area (where she uses the litter tray way better than MILU), some days she only wants to poop in the living room. That happens especially when I have to work a lot, and she's lonely for hours and hours :( she'll have eaten, but I go check her area and there are no bunny poops, I let her go to the living room and there they come!
She's good on the weekends, when I'm around - then she uses the litter tray in her area normally.
I don't know if it's a matter of her forgetting where the litter tray is, so I now gotta always clean it and putting new bunny "stuff" there so she knows it that's STILL the place for it.

Today I'm letting her pee, I mean, "stay" in the living room (LOL) where I am now, but soon I gotta go to bed 'cause I must arrive at work before 7 a.m. ... I'd rather stay awake playing bunny games the whole night, but I can't :(
I guess work made me a rusty bunny mom.

Still I'm glad my "bunney" binkied really nice tonight, she did half binkies a few times before and tonight she jumped one of those beautiful jumps. Unfortunately she was beaten by other rabbits (and who knows if by people too) and she doesn't trust anyone and doesn't like people too much, so when she sees that I saw her binking, she stops, she thinks I'll get mad at her :(
For some reason, she likes rabbits better than people, although her brown friend used to bite her, steal her food and forbid her to use the litter tray. She's now learning to be an independent bunny and little by little she's getting used to have me watching her and even brushing her (if I'm lucky she won't get up immediately). I try not to get too attached, I cried a lot when I the brown bunny was adopted, but I know she's in a great home with a male bunny and she's happy. I hope I can find the same kind of home for this gray bunny now, she's a lady, she deserves it!

Last edited:
I've found a hurt pigeon right next to my building, I want to save it but I don't know what to do. We don't have a public service for animals and I don't even know decent vets that can see rabbits, so you can imagine pigeon savvy vets!
She's hurt in the head, and her left eye is hurt too.
She doesn't move unless in danger. She was right next to the garage of my building, so I touched her with my food and she moved a foot away farther from the garage. I gave her water and she drank it, seemed thirsty, but didn't eat any bread :(
I left her downstairs where she was. There are lots of dogs that walk in this street, they might bite or disturb the poor beautiful pigeon.

The point is: I want to bring her upstairs and treat her but I have no idea if I should, or what to do to save her. All I'd know would be to keep her in a box and drop some painkiller in her water (?) like I sometimes did to my MILU. I live on the 13th floor though, I'm afraid I'll have to open the box/cage to feed her and she'll fly away and if she's too weak she might fall downstairs and the situation could be even more dramatic.

I saw on the web that it might be a medium grade concussion 'cause the wings are dropped

It's gonna rain and the rains here have been pretty bad and the streets get flooded a bit. The raindrops would probably hurt her, given she's already hurt in the head. I want to offer shelter but I wouldn't even know how to take her anywhere anyway.
PLEASE HELP!!!
What should I do????

Suggestions?

Hi!
I'm a bit rusty & my pigeon experience is none other than safely capturing and relocating a pigeon trapped in my work office. Anyway you can put her in a cardboard box that you have put air/ventilation holes in. Do NOT force water or liquid in her. Sounds like she is drinking. You can get some dove food/seed mix at a pet store. You can just scatter that around the bottom of the box & see if she will it it. Their diet is seeds, berries, various vegetation & some insects. You can also place a low bowl or lid with water for her to drink in the box. The water can be supplemented with liquid vitamins/minerals you can buy at most pet stores or vets office. Thank you for trying to help this dove! Hope you can & that she will be okay. Perhaps there is a vet near you that treats pet birds? Wildlife sanctuary might help if one is close by but I would not do anything without knowing if they would help or just put down the pigeon since they do consider them anything but a winged rat. Please update on the pigeon as you can. Thanks for helping her/him!

I don't know what (if any) regulations there are on wildlife in Brazil, but as a general rule of thumb, most vets can at least euthanize any animal. If you give your vet a call they may have information on somewhere you could take it.

Thanks everybody for your replies!
Tauntz and Missycove, your advice would have been super useful except for the fact that I had to leave and I asked my doormen to put the dove in a cage I left with them ONLY in case it rained, to protect her. It happened that they tried to catch her anyway, and said "she flew away".... I don't know if that's true or not, I just hope so. I still wonder where she is and if she's ok.... I hope so........

Jj, thanks for the compliment. Now I only have the gray bunny, the brown one has been adopted and is at a very nice new home with another bunny :)

Thanks for the update on the pigeon & the buns! Glad you found a good home for one of the buns! Hope the other soon finds his/her perfect home too! Thanks for trying to help the pigeon, I too hope he/she was able to fly away to a safe place.

You're welcome, Tauntz, I only did what I could.. not as much as I wish I had..

Talking about Bunny again, here's my recipe of how to wake people up: Just throw a bunny on their bed. hahaha
My brother went to sleep in the messy room trying to avoid a bunny attack during his sleep, but that wasn't enough to keep me and Bunny away.
I really like the pic with the 2 gray "behinds". Bunny's is more beautiful, of course. I think that pic would be great for a caption contest... :D
You can post your captions if you want :camera :hyper: :laugh:

1perna-ogro-6779.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ogro-6780.jpg

LOL... that is the best way to wake someone! My boyfriend will sometimes fall asleep on the couch and when I let Phoenix out, she just hops all over him and nips his clothes! :p

Love the pix!!! First one bunny seems to be saying, "Are you sleeping?" Second one my first thought was "Bums away!" lol And that the end of the tail! lol

Hahahhaha
That's the best way to wake people up indeed, Michelle!! I thought I was the only person who used this "method".

LOL I love your captions, Tauntz!!!! :roflmao::roflmao:

That's just adorable! I never thought about waking up with bunnies! Nice thought. And nice pics!! I hope "the gray bunny" will warm up to you fairly quick.

Er... I'm not sure if it's actually nice to wake up with bunnies in bed.. LOL
It's funny, perhaps even mean.. :biggrin2:
They'll jump on you, chew on your hair, will dig you, and might even bite you while you sleep.. so you'll be a "little" surprised to wake up in an unexpected way, maybe with a rabbit jumping on your head... LOL
If you plan to do so Kassi, I suggest you do it more as a prank than as a cute way to wake up... :baghead :goodluck

Here go more pics of Bilem (read her name "Beelain", please)!!!

Here you can see her having pooped in the living room and running away from the scene.

Our security cameras caught the exact moment when the offender tried to evade from the scene, leaving a track of vandalism behind. Later the transgressor was found in her own area eating, therefore using a strong and convincing alibi that would have fooled even the smartest detective into thinking she wasn't there and therefore committed no crime. Our cameras don't lie, though. Do they?

bilem-6899.jpg

After committing the transgression and even desecrating MILU's home (which I decided to open for her, as she would always break into there anyway and pee all over), the offender sniffed out she had to leave the scene quickly:

bilinha-6900.jpg

By the way, if someone knows how to make her stop peeing in the place that was MILU's home, please let me know! She'll do anything to break into his old home and pee and poop all over the area. :( She is litter trained (better than MILU was!) but only in her area. When she goes to the living room, she pees at MILU's home also at every corner and right in front of the front door too. That is, almost everywhere :(

Here's the offender, nights before the portrayed act of vandalism:

lindab-6902.jpg

Who can resist that look in her eye?

She wants some BUNNY company... not people.

linda-bilem-6901.jpg

I'm usually VERY responsible about not taking pics of animals with the flash on, but my camera sometimes just messes it up and automatically flashes even when I at least thought I had turned it off - and I mean pressing the button that turns off the flash and checking for the "no flash" symbol on the display (and all other pics had the flash off, so why does 1 of them suddenly has it on???)

bilein-6903.jpg

Last edited:
Bilém has ear mites..
I medicated her yesterday. An adopter wanted her but when she knew Bilém was being medicated, she adopted her daughter and decided not to adopt Bilém anymore.
Too bad for her - Bilém will stay with me longer, and that woman is gonna be missing out the fun of having this beautiful and civilized rabbit at her home... I'm just sorry that Bilém could be living with her daughter but won't anymore.
:eek:hwell:

Back