FOSTERED: Hagerstown, MD Dwarf Pair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any news?

Saw this on the yahoo group rabbit rescue people:

Re: [RabbitRescuePeople] Re: URGENT: UPDATE: Hagerstown, MD

I am in Baltimore - sort of near Hagerstown. I can grab the bunnies and hold them until you can make arrangements. Also, I'm travelling to PA for the holiday, if that helps.

Nancy <nancy21090@...>

I don't know why I can't get these dwarfs out of my mind....I'm not even a dwarf gal although I do love my Tio to pieces.

I hope someone takes them before I try to talk Art into it and hear him say "no" one more time...

Peg

The dwarves are being pulled on Monday. I will take them and assess them. We can see what they are like.

The flemmie has an app. Hopefully someone with good intentions. This meat rabbit/dog fighting territory.

More later.

The dwarves were described to me as unbelievably skittish. Hmm...we'll see. Even some rabbit people don't understand dwarves. This might be the case with this assessment.

Pipp wrote:
They told me the Mini-rex is a male... wasn't the Flemish female?

If somebody thinks the dwarfs can survive a flight to Vancouver and they can makearrangements, I'll take 'em here.

None of the 'cage aggressive' or 'skittish' buns I've taken in have ever turned out to be that way once they got here.

sas :(
If any could be sent to Vancouver, I'll help with fostering as well!

I can no longer take the 2 dwarves at this shelter. They were to be pulled on Monday, but another bun I had committed to a while ago will need to come here sooner than I expected.

So they are still in grave danger.

Ack! I'm not receiving notifications, missed this!

My roommate is going to DC Dec. 5th, he'll be there until early January, I think if we can get the Lop bunny to them while he's there, it will be a lot easier.

Re: the dwarfs, wish I would have noticed this post earlier, could have tried to deal with finding somebody in PA.

I can still take them here(as can April/PixieSixx), but transportation will be a problem.

Although on the offchance somebody's flying to LA and can get them there, a friend is coming for a visit soon... although not sure she'll be able to take them, she's flying stand-by, but I'll check.

sas :?

I wish I had some way to get these to Texas as I have had calls before asking me if I knew anyone who had Netherlands to sell (from people who had researched rabbit breeds, etc).

I am betting that with some socialization - they'd be just fine.

I'd love to help - but my hands are tied financially right now - I hope y'all can find someone to take them! I have the cage space - just no means to get them here.

Peg

They're closed until Monday, I'll check on the Lop then.

The person I talked to said they weren't going anywhere any time soon, but we know the dwarfs have to get out PRONTO.

Wehave peoplearound the country willing to take them -- I think one in the St. Louis area and one on the CDN/NY border can take them all of need be. We need to see what transportation avenues we have.

I'll throw an ad up on Craigslist seeing if anybody is flying out of Baltimore on an airline that will take rabbits in the cabin.

Can somebody see what Bunderground may have going?St. Louis is a far drive, but a freebie in the cabin flying is first choice, maybe putting them in the hold is another.

Can someoneprice out cargo for one or multiples?

I got a good response from my Indianapolis - St. Louis Craigslist ads, but they filtered in over a couple of weeks, not that great on an instant turnaround.

I'll get in touch with Nancy in Baltimore to seeif, whenand how long she can hang onto them.

ADDITIONAL: Strongheart, can you find somebody to take their pictures? Really hard to fall in love with a blank space. A pic is worth a 1000 words, but if there isn't one, then at least the 1000 words should be descriptive and reliable.

(The Flemish in particular is likelyto have a demand, I've seen more posts looking than offering, but half the time theyaren't reallyFlemishes).

sas :?

Tracy with Bunderground said shes willing to pull the dwarfs if someone is interested. Heres the problem though, you get bunderground involved and everything has to be approved through them. Its a lot of hassle and theyre very picky about where bunnies go..

Alicia, do you know anyone in your area who might be willing to help?

:?Not our rescue we just took 3 through emergency situtions and are short on cash.We had one recently pass away that rung up a bit of a bill. RIP Flower.Also a few returns.

HRN out of Mass has been full as far as I know.

I will see if anything can be done.

I'm giving prices per Continental which would probably be one of my first choices for flying rabbits at this time of year since their hub is in Houston (aka not overly cold).

If the two rabbits together plus their carrier is 9 pounds or less...then it is $119 plus $5 security charge plus .24 per pound weight tax or something (I forget what it is called).

If the rabbits and carrier are over 9 pounds but under 50 pounds then it is $189 plus $5 security deposit and .24 per pound.

With Continental they do not need a vet check if the weather is within certain parameters (I think higher than 18 degrees and lower than 90 degrees or something like that).

As far as Frontier Airlines goes - it is $85 for up to 50 pounds of rabbits plus carriers combined. However, each animal must be vet checked and have a health certificate.

I'm not sure about any other airlines at this point in time - sorry.

By the way, this information is about if they fly in the cargo area.

Peg

Yeah and forgot to mention Bunderground wont allow bunnies to fly cargo so if theyre involved thats a no go as well.

But..we might have someone in that area wanting to help out. I'll let you know if I hear more :)

Sas posted this on Rabbit rescue people:

Well, we thought a rescue could pull the Dwarfs but now they can't. :( We definitely have a place for all of them outside of St. Louis, it's just a long haul. I'll be looking for people who may be flying from Baltimore to St. Louis (or somewhere else close enough to do the rest by car) and can take them either onboard or as luggage if need be. (Worse case scenario is cargo, we'll just have to work on raising some money).

I've spent all day on this and I'm still not sure what's going on. Nancy in Baltimore will take the dwarfs in as temp fosters, but needs a rescue to pull them (I presume). I thought Strongheartwas able to do that, but apparently she can't. Got a note fromStronghearttelling me this andgiving me the SolomonIsle rescue contact info saying "IF they haven't already beenput down".

So it may be that Stronghearthasn't been keeping in touch withthe shelter.I thought that whenshe posted she couldn't take them Monday she'd be telling the shelter something else was in the works, but maybe not?

I've already called the shelter enough from my area code making enquiries about the other bunnies I figured ifI called againthey wouldn't believe me, but if I've let thisfall through the cracks I'll be devastated. :nerves1

sas :pray:

You've done more than most trying to get these rabbits out of there. Keep trying. Sorry I can't do more from here but I already have six. Our rescue is overwhelmed as well.

:pet: Pipp, I really hope those rabbits get out, but we can't save them all. Although that doesn't stop us from trying. I think you've done all you could.

:hug:

Back