FOSTERED: Hagerstown, MD Dwarf Pair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strongheart

Reaction score
URGENT: 6 to Die Monday/Hagerstown Described as four very large, obese bunnies kept in very small cages. And two dwarves, kept together. They posted, without photos, on Petfinder for maybe 2-3 weeks and ran an ad in the local paper.

Please call the shelter Saturday and Monday first thing to give any of these buns a reprieve. Here is a link to their rabbit listings:

New Zealand
http://tinyurl.com/3276u9

Holland lop
http://tinyurl.com/372mov

Mini Rex
http://tinyurl.com/2nam5r

Flemish Giant
http://tinyurl.com/34u3mr

and two Americans, unnamed, no picture or description.

The shelter info is:
13011 Maugansville Rd Hagerstown, MD 21740 Phone: 301-733-2060 Fax: 301-733-0248

Poor bunnies!! I hope a member lives near there and can help them! I will be thinking about these bunnies all weekend...

Thanks Strongheart, I was just coming to post this here myself.

I have the same version as you, and I don't quite understand the ad.. The descriptions don't match.

Under Breed, the one says Flemish, age isAdult,and under size, it says Small. :?

And where do the four large and two dwarfs come into it?

Very confusing.Is anybody in the area (or elsewhere) that can call the shelter for more info?

sas :(

I just e-mailed a friend....and a new member of this forum...that lives in Maryland and asked if she could look into this. She is part of Bunderground so if they are in danger, we might can move them to safety. Let's keep our fingers crossed and that they are not in danger. I will also contact another member of BGRR too.

Randy

Here's a bit more info_Or less. Not sure. (Not hard to tell these guys don't get a lot of rabbits in, huh). :rollseyes

This is from their website:

Bunny Alert
[size=-2]09 Nov 2007[/size]

The Humane Society of Washington County currently has 6 lovely bunnies available for adoption. Four litter trained rabbits complete with cages and water bowls were recently brought to the facility and they join the two rabbits already living at the shelter. We are now looking for good homes for these lovely bunnies which are one giant rabbit, one loop eared, one Aussie, one chinchilla and two miniature rabbits.

http://www.hswcmd.org/breaking-news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1194647096&archive=&start_from=&ucat=6&

Alicia, for one, has a Flemish-size hole in her heart.I think others here have been looking. I maybe able to talk a friend in DC into taking the Holland "loop"girl (if she's single)to bond with her boy, or at least foster somebunny for a few days,especially if they have their own cages.

I just sent e-mails to my friend and also to the director of Bunderground Railroad asking for assistance to investigate what is happening and intervening if necessary. Will post responses as soon as I get them.

Randy

I kinda was a little surprised, what little detail they posted in the ad for the Flemish said it's size was small? Is she young, or a cross, or what? I have to say, I don't know how they really expected them to get adopted without any pics or information on them whatsoever.

This shelter is very unfriendly to rabbits. When they kill these 6, they won't have any left and that's how they like it. At least they don't send them off to petting zoos anymore. They are a very high kill shelter for all animals and they do no educational outreach at all. I'm surprised they even did put a petfinder listing at all this time. They keep getting rabbits but refuse to put them in a public area where they can be seen and allocate them their own space.

Pipp wrote:
Alicia, for one, has a Flemish-size hole in her heart.

Yes I do. Oh man with Teresa sick brining another right at this moment scares me. 5hrs and 35min drive. I work non stop the next few weeks. I can't make a drive.

ETA: Cripes this is killing me. I wish I could but how??

good news/bad news scenario...

good news: a lot of people will be traveling this week,

bad news: they may not have a lot of time to deal with stuff.

but I think the former may outweigh the latter. we just have to get the word out, five hours isn't so bad. i actually got a good response from my craigslist ad when we were looking for indiana rides, they were just a few days late.

if you can call the shelter and get more info and express an interest, that will help, they will at leastthink twice about moving too quickly if a lot of people are asking.

sas :pray:

I'm trying to remember where Fredrick, MD is....because when we lived at Andrews AFB, I remember seeing a rabbit group at Petsmart or Petco or whatever...down in Waldorf, MD one weekend.

I remember looking at rabbits and thinking how big the New Zealands were and having the gal say, "oh we get them bigger than that.."

:biggrin2: I tried to talk Art into letting me get a rabbit that day - but he said no.

Little did he know.....

Peg

My roommate's gf in DC may be able to foster if not adopt the lop, but transportation may be an issue. They'll check with friends in the area.

I think the Flemish is an easy rehome, CT or otherwise.

We just need somebody to get them all out on Monday while arrangements are made, or make enough noise for a temp reprieve.

(How far is DC from Boston?)

Keep on it folks! :pleaseplease:

sas :pray:

Anything I can do from WI? Are HouseRabbitNetwork or Friends of Rabbits a rescue org' option for these guys? Unsure how full their space is? Should you need a letter of support on reprieve time I will compose. I understand what it's like working with non-friendly rabbit shelters - and I'm hoping they can get transferred out to safety.
Across the miles :pray:

Thanks so much Julie. Contacting them I'm sure would be very helpful. I have to assume that Strongheart will know the status, but if everybody with any even possibleoptions at all gets in touch with the shelter first thing tomorrow, I'm sure that will help.

sas :hearts

Latest posts

Back