FOSTERED: Hagerstown, MD Dwarf Pair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alicia, can you send them a fax today? That way they'll have it on their desk in the morning.

Just let them know you've very interested and want more info.

That would be great.

(Anybody else who can do that, too, would be great. I don't have a fax). :(

sas :pray:

This was posted on Bunderground as well so hopefully someone in the area can help.

These poor babies. I dont understand how shelters expect these animals to get adopted if they wont even take a moment to post a picture online. Its really sad.

Haley, has there been much response/chat about it on BGRR? I think Randy emailedthem andgot the impression they were on it?

My roommate is a slacker, really need to kick his butt to get him moving. Haven't even seen him since he confirmed he and his gf, who lives in DC, which is where he's from, would likea girl as a companion for their boy-lop. (He's dodging me 'cause he hasn't done his dishes in daaaays). Really hope he can get something going in time. He also has other friends in the area.

He's also going home for Christmas, so it's possiblehe can bring somebunny back with him, too.

sas :?

Pipp wrote:
Haley, has there been much response/chat about it on BGRR? I think Randy emailedthem andgot the impression they were on it?

They got your email, sas, so they linked to the forum here. I know a few people have suggested they could help with transport if homes were really available for these guys. I dont know that anyone actually called the shelter.

Alicia, were you able to get ahold of them and are you really interested?

my roomie's gf is about three hours away in southern VA...

I wonder if Strongheart contacted the rescues in the area?

PS: Hard for anybody to confirm interest with such limited info...

Mini-rex is a little grey boy, already neutered, about four lbs. :inlove:

That's all I asked about for now. (I have a mini-rex fetish). When the roomie heads to DC for Christmas, maybe he can bring him back.

Anyhoo, person on the phone says "they're not going anywhere anytime soon," although it doesn't sound like any adoptions areclose, and no rescues have stepped in. :(

sas :nerves1

I am a local rescue. I did not contact Friends of Rabbits. I have just split off from them so I won't be calling them or contacting them. I highly doubt they could do anything anyway.

I have no room, am overflowing as we speak. House Rabbit Society just went in and called me with a description. They recommended the two dwarves but PTS asap since they are so skittish (which I find is usually just shelter stress--they can hear the dogs because they are basically in the dog kennel).

Flemish giant-- male, agouti, very nice
NZW male, very nice
grey mini rex, girl?
Cinnamon holland lop, male, very nice

The staff member whomever spoke to on the phone is misinformed (it is now many shelter policies not to let their staff think any animals get euthanized now so staff is not in the know, esp. at this place)

HRS says their execution date has been extended 'for a few days' from the shelter manager (in charge of PTS list).

Too bad about the 2 dwarves since they never present well in the shelters. But I have no room.

I just got home. It was so insane I forgot to take my break. If it is male I can not. We already have to many issues with to many males.

Bonding had to step way back. I don't think I will be adding any too the trio. Dallas keeps starting fights with the other two. I have actually had to seperate them.

Haley wrote:
Pipp wrote:

They got your email, sas, so they linked to the forum here. I know a few people have suggested they could help with transport if homes were really available for these guys. I dont know that anyone actually called the shelter.

Alicia, were you able to get ahold of them and are you really interested?

Is it absurd to hope that Chenoa Manor could assist a few? I perceive (guesstimate) that a number of the Michigan buns in death-slaughter status are headed to the east side?

I read their descriptions -- thanks for posting and kudos to HRS for stepping in and considering what rescue space is available. Buying more time. Strongheart, JadeIcing, I can relate to starting a rescue. Oh my word, being in a dog kennel would create Enough Stress to a prey-species companion.

We do what we can and save one heartbeat -or more- at a time !!!

Thinking optimistically that HRS, local rescues may save some heartbeats. The overflowing comment is a common statement. All you need to hear is nice, very nice, and ... again, my support is coming in from afar.

Keeping my pads crossed,

They told me the Mini-rex is a male... wasn't the Flemish female?

If somebody thinks the dwarfs can survive a flight to Vancouver and they can makearrangements, I'll take 'em here.

None of the 'cage aggressive' or 'skittish' buns I've taken in have ever turned out to be that way once they got here.

sas :(

PS: I'm seeing a number of outdoor/indoor sanctuaries springing up around the country(s), if the shelter and rescue aren't set in following the HRS rules, there are options.

(How far are these bunnies from the NY/Canada border?)

TreasuredFriend wrote:
Is it absurd to hope that Chenoa Manor could assist a few?
Nope, unfortunatelytheyre at their limit. :(Besides the 35 from MI, theyre also taking 5 from Chicago, 10-15 from California and then they have about 15 there already. So once the barn is up its going to be pretty full already.

Heres hoping someone in that area can step in. Its really sad that these bunnies will be pts simply due to shelters that know little to nothing about rabbit care.

pla725 wrote:
Why put the two dwarfs to sleep due to shelter stress! Come on. With time and attentionI'm sure they can settle down. Geez. I can't believe that.

- Barry in the avatar was an aggressive rabbit at the shelter. Bite wound scar in my right hand. Soon as he bit down and ripped skin, I was convinced he needed OUT. A few weeks after I got him here, into rescue, he learned to kiss me and only shows an aggressive side "at times." :) To protect his sweetheart Karla.

Will keep watching for updates. Glad you filled in on the numbers at Chenoa Manor, Haley.

Are there any updates on what's going on? Is there anything I can do to help from here in Alaska? If there is a girl bunny and if it would be possible to fly her to Alaska, and if someone could foster her until the middle of January (I know, two months, but I'll be out of town from the middle of December until the middle of January), I might be able to adopt her. It's a bit sooner than I planned to bring him a girlfriend for Rory, but I'm sure we could squeeze her into our apartment somewhere.

You know, come to think of it, it might work out so that Rory will be staying in Fairbanks with my boyfriend for the month while I'm in Washington. If this is the case, she might be able to fly into SeaTac as early as January 6th. She could have a week's rest with me at my mom's house, then fly with me in cabin home to Fairbanks.

The dwarfs are a bonded pair I believe.

They're the priority at the moment, if the info is right. (They may end up being 'new zealand dwarfs').

Can't imagine the Flemish being hard to place.

The lop should be good to go, I know somebody who is definitely looking for one not THAT far away, and even if that one isn't a match, surely a rescue will hook her up with one that is a match and make room for the shelter bun?

But for now, I'm concentrating on the Dwarfs.

Who can foster to buy us some time and where are you located? We'll start working on transport.

sas :clover:

Back