Food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyparent22806

Reaction score
I only have 1 store in my town with rabbit stuff and it is Walmart what type of should should I buy a 6 month old girl bunny she loves her food

Just make sure that she is getting unlimited timothy hay! If you do not have timothy, get orchard. For pellets get her a timothy based pellet, no dyes, etc. If you have a Tractor Supply that is where you should get the food. I get all of my rabbit supplies from there. It would also be best to get the hay in bulk from a local farmer. I don't know if you are litter training, but if so get pine pellet bedding. No cedar.

At 6 months of age, she should only get a measured amount of pellets each day... about 1/4 cup. Since it is such a little amount, it lasts a long time.

I would second buying online if there is a way you can do that. Then you can get whichever brand you choose (here is a guide). Remember, though, that if you switch pellets, it needs to be done gradually. You'll need to mix whatever kind she is currently eating with the new stuff. How to do this (what portions, etc.) is explained on the guide linked.

If you just cannot order online, then you may have to settle for a not-so-great pellet food. Wal-mart's brand is called Small World and can do in a pinch.

My rabbit’s diet consists of Oxbow Young Rabbit Food, which contains alfalfa (highly recommended for a young rabbit’s diet), and I always order that online since it’s never available in stores near me. At 6 months, your rabbit should get about 1/4 cup a day of pellets, as mentioned above. On top of that, I use UNLIMITED timothy hay, but the type of hay you use mainly depends on your rabbit’s preference. Alfalfa isn’t good to use if you’re feeding her alfalfa-based pellets. Also, alfalfa-based pellets should be replaced with timothy after 1 year of age. And since she’s 6 months old, you can try introducing vegetables to her. But remember that hay should be 80% of her diet, and vegetables about 10%! I have a whole guide that I made when researching vegetables, if you would like me to post that.

Also, I’m by no means an expert, so if anyone would like to correct me, feel free to do so.

Ok i when the to Walmart and got some of her favorite nature's Salid and some MENU bunny food too she loves both of them I also go some more of her donuts she loves and yes my bunny is still in her small cage but she seems more happy nowJPEG_20190924_174209.jpeg

Those foods contain a bunch of non-nutritional things your rabbit doesn’t need.

Ok i when the to Walmart and got some of her favorite nature's Salid and some MENU bunny food too she loves both of them I also go some more of her donuts she loves and yes my bunny is still in her small cage but she seems more happy nowView attachment 44578
I wouldn’t by processed treats for your rabbit especially at Walmart i’ve seen those before at Walmart. Maybe order online there’s smallpetselect website they have natural treats but don’t feed to many, they have Timothy hay and pellets too! I use oxbow young rabbit pellets I get them online on amazon. You should get her an exercise pen to so she can have more space and she looks adorable in the picture.
Also remember just because it has a picture of a rabbit doesn’t mean it’s good for the rabbit :)
Get her some toys to chew on too my bun loves willow sticks! They sell them smallpetselect too there’s other toys to choose from.

Last edited:
There are several types of Menu rabbit food. The only one that I would consider feeding is the one that looks like this, but I can't see the ratios anywhere.
cd2d8523-880f-4ade-b7af-3a0f2ec67638_1.0fa478f3ca917cf51be60d3c6e7d8122.jpeg

The other Menu ones that have colorful bits and (oh my!!) corn, should NOT BE FED at all.

The way to consider cage size is if you wouldn't keep a cat in there, then it is too small for a rabbit. You can keep and use your current cage IF you get an exercise pen. Then the pen can be set up around the cage and the cage door left open. Then, voila!, you have a decent space for your rabbit. In the current cage, I'm afraid her muscles can't form properly and that can cause future vet bills (not to mention other physical and/or painful issues for your rabbit).

[ @Kora , alfalfa-based pellets should stop at 6 months of age. That is when the rabbit is considered adult. Greens can start at 12 weeks of age (earlier IF momma was being fed greens all along during her pregnancy and while nursing). Just grass hays once bunny is 6 months of age as well. ]

My buns get pellets morning and night. Hay always available. My male bun refuses to eat the hay..he's picky
I also have mom and baby together, baby is 5 weeks old on Tuesday and they love romaine, leaf lettuce, (kale sparingly, parsley, spinach, ...vitamin A foods once a day.....one of them)
Carrots very sparingly, not good for them all the time.
I printed out a list that was online to go by..very handy
Also they all get a tablespoon amount of Apple every day
I've seen a lot of treats and food at wallmart that have corn , which isn't good..
Good luck!
A variety is good for them

Back