Fly Strike

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamnock

Reaction score
Wasn't successful trying to post this on the original thread due to forumerror . . .

Yes, most likely fruit flies or some other species of small fly (baby flies are maggots).

You can also try using some type of trap like this http://www.fruitflytraps.com/index.htm

Auto sprayers like the one I have don't seem to be effective. Those small flies seem to reproduce and mutate into resistant strains rapidly.

Pam

Here's her original post, I saw a duplicate and went to remove one of them, then the other got messed up..

_____________-

I'm scared guys. I had a severe bout of depression the last couple weeks, and fed the bunnies, but apparently I was lax on the cleaning. Today, I went to clean (which was overdue) and found a TON of baby flies. I checked the bunnies behinds and they are clean and fine. What should I do? What should I look for?

EDIT: they may not be 'babies' but I think they might be fruit flies...but that doesn't make any sense.

Thank you. I moved the bunnies up stairs (near the front of the house in the upper level addition) into well ventilated rooms with fans blowing out. I sprayed their room downstairs on the far side of the house (back)with flying insect spray because there were SO many. It was really gross. I went out to buy traps and no one had them...not even fly paper! So I bought the spray and made a homemade fruit fly trap as well.

Today I'm keeping them upstairs (probably for the next few days) while I disenfect, clean the floor and walls and everything else in the room, and open the window with the fan pulling the fumes out.

I just feel so bad that I was so wrapped up in myself that I forgot about cleaning their stuff.

If anything happens to them...:(

angieluv wrote:
it sounds like you caught it in time.....
I hope so. There were aton on their litter boxes when I cleaned them. I checked the bun's butts and they weren't moist or dirty so I'm hoping. I'm going to give them a good thorough look the next week.

Can fruit flies even cause flystrike? And why would fruit flies be hanging around bunny litter boxes? ...are they attracted to vinegar?

Should I clean their bums thoroughy after I brush them today?

Sorry, I'm a hypochondriac.

Cleaned the room from top to bottom after the spray. I used 3 fans (and one window one pulling the air out the window) to ventilate the room for 4 days before moving the bunnies back in. After cleaning all their cages, boxes, toys, etc., we're fly free! Thanks for all your help. :)

Latest posts

Back