Flooring

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle LEvy

Reaction score
I am planning on buying a rabbit pair and I want to make sure that I have everything prepared first. The cage I planned on getting is 60 square meters (on the floor) with ramps and platform for playing. But it is metal so i'm worried it might be slippery and the ramps between platform are cage style and I know that is bad for the rabbits feet so I wanted to know what I could cover it with.

Capture.PNG There's a run that adds up to the large floor size but that's made of wood. This is the part I was worried about:
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for the photo.

Honestly, I would suggest a different cage altogether. That one is not ideal. At first glance, I was going to suggest just removing the ramps completely. Bunnies can hop and don't need them.
BUT, then I saw that the different levels aren't just flat, but have that couple inch high rim. That would be awkward for them to try to hop up with that lip in the way.

It is similar to a double ferret nation or double critter nation cage, but the FN and CN cages have plastic trays on each level. Even so, I wouldn't advise them for rabbit.

Levels are fine to have. The size of the bottom floor, though, is really the measure. If you have 5 levels but each level is only 6 square feet, it still doesn't provide adequate space. (doesn't count as 30 sq ft) They need running and binkying room.

I see you are in Australia. Do you have access to shelves like these?
upload_2019-3-6_13-14-36.png
People often use these (without the connecters) to build a NIC cage with zipties. They ca be configured in various ways.
Another good alternative is to use and ex-pen as a cage. Take a look at this link to get some ideas.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2019-cages-add-your-photo.93422/
BTW, these options will be considerably less in cost as well as providing more space.

Back