Flemish Giants

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen that No Splitting Hares Rescue on Petfinder and saw you guys have a lot of bunnies, especially big ones! I'm so glad you jumped in to save these two adorable girlies.

I've seen all the cages you have stacked on your Petfinder listings. How do you get so many adopted out? Do you get them spayed and neutered? The economy is really tough these days. Where do supplies come from to care for all those you list?

You've really got a ton of bunnies,

funny you ask - as of this week we are no longer using cages, except for a ill bun.

2nd) all our vet care is free, including our spays and neuters. we only pay for meds.

3rd) we receive alot of "returns" from a warehouse in the area (all our cages, liter, sometimes foodwere donated)

4th) vegetables sometimes come free or at a very discounted price with some of the connections we have.

5th) currently we have 11 foster homes helping and donating alot of man power to help.

What do you use instead of cages? Sometimes there are several rabbits shown all in one modest-sized cage. Please tell me more on your non-caging set-ups, or share a photo if you can.

Do you have extra pictures to share of the Flemmie girls?

What tips have proven helpful in getting over 100 rabbits adopted out (so many in such a short time with economic duress)?

I was able to purchase 12 gold pens that are 48 in wide and 36 in tall.

I was very disappointed when i viewed that photo. it was at a foster home and she insisted on putting them all in one cage, since they were used to "pack living" ... I assure you I picked them up and have them currently in a pen. this is what happens when i allow a foster home to post on my petfinder. it has stopped !

how do i post a photo for you to see ? sorry, I'm new ...

What tips are helpful WRT placing 20+ rescue-intakes a month? I don't see the local shelters being able to do that, so I'm curious as to your protocol for finding homes.

a good variety of buns.

I also work with individuals that bring a bunny and they want to find a friend for it. sometimes this placement can take several hours. 1 lady packed her lunchand came, when her appt was at 10a. She was really there for 3 plus hours, her male bunny didn't care for any one.

sometimes just a lot of word of mouth. the vets I use support us verbally alot. Many of our volunteers verbally support and financially support rabbits that need a " a little extra work " ... many may be worked with for weeks before they arrive on petfinder and are ready for a forever home.

I have no issues adopting out a bunny to a family with larger kids. If the parents completely plan on taking care of it and teaching the child about the animal it all works.

since they are all vet checked and spayed/nuetered the rabbit itself isn't super $, we offer used cages to some and are working on a care package for all our new bunny familys. A boutique will be opened on our new location by the end of 2009.

Wow! Sounds like you've got some great vet/petstore/etc friends! I have also heard that some grocery stores will give you their "cast-offs," veggies that they can no longer sell but are mostly still good, for free, as long as you ask and show up at the time they go through the veggies to decide what to toss. A newer member on here did that for his bunny, I forget the name. Apparently just go to the produce section and ask them or ask the manager. I've been too lazy to do it myself, although I do have a grocery store basically in my front yard... maybe still a little skeptical?

tonyshuman wrote:
Wow! Sounds like you've got some great vet/petstore/etc friends! I have also heard that some grocery stores will give you their "cast-offs," veggies that they can no longer sell but are mostly still good, for free, as long as you ask and show up at the time they go through the veggies to decide what to toss. A newer member on here did that for his bunny, I forget the name. Apparently just go to the produce section and ask them or ask the manager. I've been too lazy to do it myself, although I do have a grocery store basically in my front yard... maybe still a little skeptical?
Pet_Bunny gets some from Safeway for the Humane Society rabbits - Shadow and Jester also get some :).

Any ideas on names for the girls yet? Are you keeping them, or will they go up for adoption?

Jan

the larger girl is named DOLLY as in Dolly Parton, and the lil girl is SISSY as she will do nothing with our her sister dolly. they are wonderfull. will be keeping for my own collection. my flem walk the house and the rescue like cats. these 2 have been handled alot and love it. very happy !

Latest posts

Back