Flemish Giants

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michele

Reaction score
two flemish sister need help in Peoria IL.

This is the email I got. I have no room at the time for them.

I wanted to contact you all because there are 2 female Flemish Giant rabbits at the Peoria Animal Welfare Shelter who need placement desperately; they are bonded sisters, one is spayed but the other is not yet. Both are friendly and they appear to have been well cared for. They last saw a vet in March 08. The info says they are litter box trained but the shelter did not provide them a litter box so they are just going on the papers right now. I do not know their age or names (they are calling them Big Bunny and Little Bunny because one is a bit larger). The owner surrendered them because she was moving to a place that did not allow pets ( 4 rabbits in all came in). The shelter does not have adequate housing for them..they are in a 3X3 concrete, very isolated dog kennel right now together and have been there since 12/15. If you have anyone interested in fostering or adopting them, please let me know and we can coordinate the transfer. I am good friends with Kathy Forst, whom some of you know, and she may be able to help transport them. I have done bird rescue myself, but have slowly been getting more involved with rabbit rescue since adopting my mini lop a year and a half ago.

Please forward this to anyone who might be able to help get them out of PAWS, which is not a "no-kill"shelter, and has about a 75-80% euthanasia rate for small animals such as rabbits. They already put one of the other 2 bunnies from this same home down because it was "not nice". These two will be euthanized eventually, but I don't know when. The shelter contacted me to try to help place them. I cannot take them myself because of some recent respiratory problems which prevents me from bringing any more animals in until I know if my breathing is going to be ok.
Thanks for any leads or assistance in this... there are also 3 other bunnies at PAWS right now including a precious spayed female Netherland dwarf that was a housemate with these two.

I have a picture as well they are both tan in color. Let me know if you can help and want the contact info.

I got that email too, the girls are sandies. Big, beautiful sandy girls. Here are the pictures that went with the email:

flemishsisters.jpg

flemishgiants.jpg

ETA: If the title of this could be changed to say these are Flemish Giants, it will get more attention. This forum loves our Flemmies.

Anyone? I would be willing to help transport. These are such gorgeous girls, and I know there are people on here that have wanted Flemmies for a long time.

oh wow - if I could get them here - I'd let them live in the garage with Zeus and the girls.....he'd be in flemish heaven.

But alas - I am broke and I highly doubt they would adopt to a prior breeder who already has a multitude of rabbits.

(Still yet - I'd love to get the garage cleaned out and turn it into a flemmie sanctuary - wouldn't that be awesome??)

Peg, you're going to be one of those little old ladies with like 20 cats and eats cat food to survive! Lucky for you, rabbit food is much better! ;)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Peg, you're going to be one of those little old ladies with like 20 cats and eats cat food to survive! Lucky for you, rabbit food is much better! ;)
ROFLOL.

I'm really really trying to cut back on rabbits. If I could get it down to....10 maybe....maybe 15 or so....I'd be thrilled.

But honestly? Flemmies own my heart - and I love watching my rabbits that live together in colonies...they are so funny how they form friendships, etc. I've noticed that some are enemies almost - and they keep grudges for a long time.

I mean.....bunnies really can have some human emotions...not all good also.

But come on - a flemmie sanctuary - wouldn't that be SOOO cool?

TinysMom wrote:
But come on - a flemmie sanctuary - wouldn't that be SOOO cool?

And I could totally see you doing that Peg! That's my dream too, only with English lops. Well, any rabbit probably, but with a special eye out for E-lops. I'm in the same situation as you though...not enough money (and for me, no room).

These two girls are absolutely gorgeous. Breaks my heart that they are in danger of being euthanized...:tears2: esp. when you think of all the bunny lovers out there who would take them in a heartbeat, if they could. (I'd be right there in line too.) Praying they go to a wonderful home....:pray:

Honestly - if I had the money to fly them here - I would take them in a heartbeat. I could actually put up a barrier to split the garage in half till the others got to know them. My only concern would be Splash who can climb anything...but she's pretty good natured - she'd probably want to snuggle with them.

I just don't have the $200 to fly them here....or anyone to get them out of the shelter.

Food...got that. Space? Plenty of that in the garage....and there will be even more once I'm done cleaning it out this year....

Thanks gentle giants for renaming the post. I would also be willing to help with transport. I am just out of room for fostering.

By any chance, are they spayed yet? I get occasional requests for Flemmies. Not often, but I could rattle some trees and see if any adopters fall out....

michele, does PAWS get many fancy rats? That's my primary area of rescue interest, and I'd be happy to do what I can to help the shelter out with those. The chicago area is very rat rescue-friendly, unlike what I imagine Peoria is.

BF-One is spayed, the other is not. Not sure how/why that happened, but thatis what the email said.

:bunnydance:

I rescued these buns today. Had a volunteer transporter drive 3 hrs one way and another 3 hrs home in this snow storm.... they are wonderfull girls. however, need some suggestions for names.I have 1 other flem named Penny that is the same coloring.

I'm horrible with names so I can't help there - but I am SOOOO happy that you were able to rescue them. I have an extreme fondness for flemish giants and I hope we'll get to see pictures of them regularly if you start a blog or something!

gbread wrote:
:bunnydance:

I rescued these buns today. Had a volunteer transporter drive 3 hrs one way and another 3 hrs home in this snow storm.... they are wonderfull girls. however, need some suggestions for names.I have 1 other flem named Penny that is the same coloring.
OMG, I'm so excited! Are you from around here? PM me!;) Good work!:D

Algonquin, IL - I am the owner of " No Splitting Hares Rabbit Rescue " in combination with Fur Keeps & Dr Deb Rykoff. we have only been open since 07/08 and adopted out just over 100 buns.

Latest posts

Back