Flemish Fever

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Fergi, :)

Can you share with us the name of the rabbitry you got Diva from?

No worries if you don't want to.

:)

-Carolyn

Diva came from a brother and a sister that do 4H. I think that their name is Bunnyhills because the names on her pedigree for hersire, dam, grand sire, grand damare from Bunnyhills.

Diva doesn't have a tatto either so I don't have a number from them for that although all of her relatives have numbers.

How great is that! Three bunny relatives in the Flemish family on our board! It is a small world after all!

Fergi's mom

Fergi,

It's great you know Bunnyhills. :dude:

As Buck Jones says: "You never know where the day will go." (Is that correct, Buck?)

It'd be so uncanny if Pam or show rabbits knew of Bunnyhills.

The Flemish World is a small world from what I gather. I've been chatting with show rabbits for a while now, never knowing that it's highly likely that my rabbit's ancestors are from her rabbitry.

Do you have Diva's papers? If you do, what are her parent's weights? If you don't have her papers, can you get a copy?

-Carolyn

I personally call what you're describing as a great big Apollo Puddle. How in the world a rabbit that big can lay so flat is beyond me. I love it though. We all kinda laugh at Apollo and see who can get him the lowest lol.

Tina

Yep, I have her papers but it only lists weights for one grand sire which is 16 and then for her great grand sires and dams, these range from 16 to 19 lbs. I should try to contact her breeders and see what her parents weigh in at.

Fergi's mom

* * For those that aren't aware * *

The Best, most Notable Flemish Giant Breeders in the Country have gotten their herd from our own - "showrabbits". They have noted that"Showrabbits" puts them through quite a screening process and investigates the breeders background before releasing one of their offspring.

Showrabbits - as Pamnock said: "You give Breeders a Good Name."

-Carolyn

Fergi,

That's excellent you have her papers! :)

Definitely call the breeder and ask what her parents finally weighed in at.

Showrabbits said AJ was still growing at 19 lbs. and it's highly likely that AJ and Cali are related.

As showrabbits said: they grow for a year and a half, and then their growth slows down, but they continue to grow for 3-4 years.

Tina,

That's exactly how to describe it: A Puddle!

There was a time when you were measuring Apollo's growth each month or so. Can you give us those weights or lengths? I forgot how much you figured he was growing per month.

-Carolyn

They truly are - Gentle Giants.

I've never met a more loving, happy, fun-loving, loyal animal in my life.

-Carolyn

Believe it or not Apollo has averaged a 2 pound weight gain. He has finally stopped gaining as of last month. He is now between 17-18 pounds. Fully stretched out he is almost 30'' long. He averaged about an inch and a half to two inches a month. I think Apollo has finally reached his adult size. He is now 1 year and 2 months old. I was hoping for a monster bunny. But then again, 17 pounds isn't exactly a light weight huh lol.

Tina

I've been wanting a Flemish, but 88lbs...that scares me. And with the way things seem to grow at my house,mine would be that big. My great dane is 212 lbs and 40" at the shoulder (60 lbs and 8" over average)!

I'm going to have to work on Shawn to get one once we move...he just gave in tonight and agreed to get a horse next winter...and it will need someone to share that barn with...yes, that seems like a good case to argue. LOL

dajeti2 wrote:
Believe it or not Apollo has averaged a 2 pound weight gain. He has finally stopped gaining as of last month. He is now between 17-18 pounds. Fully stretched out he is almost 30'' long. He averaged about an inch and a half to two inches a month. I think Apollo has finally reached his adult size. He is now 1 year and 2 months old. I was hoping for a monster bunny. But then again, 17 pounds isn't exactly a lightweight huh lol.

Tina

showrabbits said that they grow for 1.5 years, then they slow down their growth, but continue to slowly grow for 3-4 years.

How old is Apollo?

-Carolyn

Apollo is only 14 months old. The breeder we got Apollo from said to feed unlimited until he was 18 months old. I haven't seen any weight gain in over a month, so I figured he was done.I'm also going by his papers and his parents and grand parents weren't that big. All I can do is wait and see.

Tina

Have any of you pulled a muscle when lifting your "Baby"?

*laughs*

-Carolyn

There have been too many times that I've had to soak these old muscles. Those are the same days Apollo decides he wants to be carried instead of pushed in his stroller or walk.

Could you imagine trying to carry a Flemish in one of Buck's Bunny Packs. My back would never be the same lol

Who needs a gym when you have a Flemish.

Tina

dajeti2 wrote:
There have been too many times that I've had to soak these old muscles. Those are the same days Apollo decides he wants to be carried instead of pushed in his stroller or walk.

Could you imagine trying to carry a Flemish in one of Buck's Bunny Packs. My back would never be the same lol

Who needs a gym when you have a Flemish.

Tina

I knew you'd be able to relate. When you do pick them up and struggle to get them to where you're both comfortable, they look at you like, "Cut out the drama! :X What's the struggle all about, just hold me." I adore Apollo's face in your avatar, Tina.

Baby doshia, you're probably better off with Murphy not liking to be held.

mndpnd: You won'tbe disappointed when you get a Flemish someday.They truly are Gentle Giants.

-Carolyn

Oh yes, I know that look all to well. I find it so amazing that these rabbits are totally convinced they weigh 2 pounds instead of close to 20. Perfect Example...I was at the local store and Apollo was with us. We had ordered our pizza and were waiting. Seeing as how it was a Sat. I was holding Apollo to keep him from getting stepped on. After about 10 minutes, my arms were so tired they were shaking lol. The guy behind the counter ( who happens to be a friend) starts laughing at me. I saidd ok Mr. Smarty here you go and I handed Apollo to him. Now this guy is 6 feet tall and big. The look on his face was priceless. He looks at me and says dang woman how do you carry him around so long. Now Apollo's stroller is like American Express, I never leave home without it.

Tina

Back