Flemish Fever: The Next Generation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TinysMom wrote:
I gotta say though - Zeus stole my heart.

If I could - I'd have a flemish giant in my bedroom (doe or buck - doesn't matter)...along with Zeus in my office. Only problem.....Zeus seems to think he's a whole-house rabbit ..... so that won't work for now.

I'd say that my next flemish will be either one of the steels or gray or blue....but the fact is - I'm learning to never say what I will or won't have. If you'd asked me the day Tiny died if I'd ever get a white flemish - I'd have said "no" - because I felt like even though he wasn't mine - Apollo stole that "white flemish" place in my heart. He was always the one I thought of when I thought of white flemish.

Zeus is definitely changing that.....however, I am glad he doesn't have red eyes - no matter what my camera might make him look like...

Peg
Better add Ori to this thread - even though I'm not sure yet when I'm getting him...

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0020-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0029-1.jpg

I gotta get my eyes checked... Ori doesn't look steel, gray or Blue! Funny, he has pink eyes too... I'd almost swear he's a white! :roflmao:

What was that about never say never?????

BlueGiants wrote:
I gotta get my eyes checked... Ori doesn't look steel, gray or Blue! Funny, he has pink eyes too... I'd almost swear he's a white! :roflmao:

What was that about never say never?????
Yeah...my thoughts exactly.

I think I should have said, "I'm never getting a steel, gray or blue flemmie"...

Oh well - live and learn.

The funny thing is - after Zeus - I keep falling in love with white rabbits now - even though I never cared for them before.

I am a bit concerned though about something...

Before I got Tiny - I rescued a rabbit which I now realize was a New Zealand White. I was heartbroken when the bunny was claimed after a week...she/he loved to play with Robin's beach ball and was just so funny.

But there was the night when Art tried to tell it that it was time to go to the bathroom (to sleep) - and it turned around and boxed him. Funny thing was - after Art got over being frustrated at that - he laughed and laughed and still sort of laughs about it to this day.

Tiny never had the guts to try and box at us. Zeus just goes and does his own thing.

But Ori?

I have no idea what he's gonna do....

It doesn't matter... they each have their own personality and needs... and they each fit into our lives differently. Ori will make his own place and friends when he comes to your home, and I'm sure he'll be very happy too!

(Yeah, those ruby eyed whites kinda grow on you... I didn't want whites either, until Arizona came along (the white in my avatar). He was so special, I hardly noticed he was white with red eyes! Now I'm so happy to have his daughter, grandaughter and great-grand-kids!)

WOW, what beautiful flemish giants!!!

Now, if only I could get my hands on one, I could post pictures too.

Hint, hint, I'm in MA. Willing to travel.

Cathy (Blue Giants) is in New York.....if you're willing to drive...you too could join the flemish giant servant's club...

Seriously - I think flemish are addicting and once I had one - I knew I could never live without one again....

susansheila wrote:
WOW, what beautiful flemish giants!!!

Now, if only I could get my hands on one, I could post pictures too.

Hint, hint, I'm in MA. Willing to travel.
I'd be happy to introduce you to a couple of excellent breeders inMassachusetts! When ever you're ready!

Here's my Flemish (well he's really only half Flemish, but it's close enough for me! :biggrin2: ) We got him June 7th 2008 and he only weighed about 2 1/2-3 lbs. He's now roughly 8lbs.

bunny2022.jpg
When I brought him home

Bella012.jpg

About 3 weeks ago

august025.jpg

And yesterday

I only have a few terrible photos, but here's my first rabbit ever, my flemmie, Brindy

Brindy2.jpg

babybrindy.jpg

Brindy3.jpg

same photo in color...it was easier to see in black and white...but it's an old polaroid photo so difficult to see in any case at this point.

Brindy3a.jpg

Elf Mommy,

I never knew you'd had a flemish. No wonder you were able to capture Tiny so well! You did an awesome job with his drawings....I should've known that you knew the breed firsthand!

TinysMom wrote:
Elf Mommy,

I never knew you'd had a flemish. No wonder you were able to capture Tiny so well! You did an awesome job with his drawings....I should've known that you knew the breed firsthand!

Unfortunately, I had her for less than a year before she passed due to someone mistreating her while my family was on vacation in Florida. :( We had two different families pet-sitting for us, so we could never pin down who had hurt her. ...sigh... I know there was nothing that we could do about it, but it was tragic for me. I lost a huge piece of my heart the day she died in my arms. It was almost as if I distanced myself from the loss of anyone else (people and animals). Although my only wish in life was to have rabbits as pets, after Brindy died, my father refused to get me another rabbit. Instead, he got me a dog. Now, I loved my dog, but I KNEW that I would get another rabbit someday, when I had a choice.

This is going to sound very bad, I'm sure, but here goes... I married a man who is not really an animal person. He loves Elf. I know he does. I see him talk to her all the time, give her treats, pet her, etc. She will come up and nip his ankles to make him pet her all the time. BUT! He will not agree to me getting any more animals in the house. Right now we have a dog and a rabbit. He is being practical, I know. With 2 kids and 2 animals, we have to be aware of evacuating for a hurricane (which we've had to do before), and our options when traveling with a crowd like that.

Here's the part that's going to sound horrid. My hubby is not the healthiest of individuals. He's in the doctor at least once a month for one thing or another. They never find anything conclusive, but as he tells me, he lives in pain every day of his life. I know that he won't live as long as I will, so I cherish every day I have with him.

BUT

When my husband passes, I WILL be devoting much more of my life to animals. I am determined to be on a foster list for buns in Florida, and I'll buy a trailer or some kind of transport so if there's a hurricane headed my way, I can load them all up and move north. Does that sound heartless? sigh, it probably does...

I KNOW that I will have another flemish. It's almost a mission for me, to have one that I can take care of for all of its life. I have to prove to myself that I can do so. I WILL have another mini rex. I WILL have a Dutch. There are so many breeds that I've "met" through these boards, that I have BIG plans for my future. :)

OK, ranted long enough here. LOL sorry about the hijack!

Minda

Here is my Gulliver:
Gulliver_on_pillow.jpg

I thought he was solelya NZW, but when I've posted past pictures here, several flemish owners have commented that he looks suspiciously like a NZW/Flemish mix. I would LOVE him to be one, so OK I am going with that!
Look at those lips, don't you just want to kiss them?

Firstly I have to thanks Bugz for his huge impact on us. He started our love for the Flemmies, Rip big guy.

We have 3 new flemmies now,
Luca
2808490177_f9da8140e8.jpg

Jakey
2804702362_c913194295.jpg

Bella

2804945811_e74b5fcb20.jpg

Latest posts

Back