First housing for my bun!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily~

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :D

I'm getting my little bun in about a week, and I'm looking into all the different types of housing for him so I can buy one and set it up before he's here.

He's a sweet little 9 week old holland lop, whom I haven't named yet. (Name suggestions would be lovely too!)

He's going to be housed inside, because it's way too hot outside here. I don't really have enough money for a huge hutch or anything yet, but I was looking into puppy pens? I'm not sure if they'd be good for him though.

This'll be my first bunny, and any help would be appreciated! :hearts:

I just bought my first bun recently! I have a 10 week old Blue Rex and she's in a Living World Deluxe Habitat. There's more than enough room for her to hop around and stand up without having her ears touch the top of the cage. There's also a little gate so she can go in and out when she wants to :)

I have a 9 week old holland lop who also lives in a Living World Deluxe Habitat (the large version). He's an adorable and curious prince who absolutely loves to run in and out of beneath the second level. Such a cutie.

However, admittedly, the cage is too small for him. Or, more accurately, will be very soon. You can buy a real cage, but your bun will soon outgrow it. It may be best to invest in something like an x-pen and use that as a permanent habitat, or an extension of a cage.

Good luck with your fluff!

Hi Lily! I see you are in AZ too :) I bought my buns cage on Petco.com for $55 it is the Deluxe Kaytee rabbit cage that seems to be quite large. (They sell in the store for $99) you could as others suggested add an x-pen to the front if you decide to do that check Ryan'spet.com they have the best pricing on x-pens. You can save on shipping if you are able to travel downtown to the warehouse. My bun gets turn out time for a few hours a night so he seems to manage well in a commercial cage. Good luck with your new bun, can't wait to see new pictures.

Before I built my hutch, I used a large dog crate. It was great! It was on the floor so he could hop in and out whenever he wanted (when it was open, of course) - unlike some "real" rabbit cages that you need to lift the bun into every time. It was easy to clip on accessories like water dishes (which I prefer to bottles), hay racks, etc. You can get a large used dog crate in good condition for about $80 here.

Also it was easy to pull out the tray in the bottom for cleaning.

I have a Flemish giant in a large dog pen. He has a room he runs in while I am up and home which is most of the time. He's fine in the cage for periods when I am gone. Typically that's during the day when he spends time napping anyway. I purchased his pen off of e-bay. It was a brand new cage, 4 foot long, has two doors, a plastic tray in the bottom so he is not on wire and it's easy to clean. I paid under $60 which included shipping and I had the cage within 3 days.

exercise pens are definitely a good option as long as you figure out a flooring situation that works for you and your existing floor.
I use a 42 inch dog crate which I added a shelf to to give them a little more space. It's the best set up for me that I've used so far but a pen wouldn't really work for be because I need the space on top of their cage to store their stuff and there are other animals in our home that I'd need to keep out of their cage.

i have a dog crate like that also, and a smaller one. the smaller one i would like to rig up to a small two storey house i have on the verandah for my benjamin. he has a larger two storey house on the lawn right now, but when the weather isn't good the other one might be ok. the large dog crate was good to give him some morning play in the summer outside, before the heat would set in.

NIC cages are a good option. So are the x-pens and XL dog crates.
But I see it's been a week since you originally posted.

I was going to post some photos, but did you already get a cage?

When not supervised, my rabbits are in a dog's pen, and underneath it is simply old beach towels, covered by a layer of 2 flat sheets. This is due to the fact my doe, Annee, has a hard time making it into the litter box when it's time to pee, and I have a beige carpet. When it's time to wash the sheets and/or I can't keep a close eye on them, my bunnies stay in a cage about the size of an average coffee table. I'm looking to buy them a new cage and keep it open inside of the pen, however.

Latest posts

Back