Fireworks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipidragon

Reaction score
I can't find this thread so here goes. We had our first taste of fireworks. I just talked as fast as I could. She was on full alert. She didn't stomp, which surprised me. A few seconds after it was over, her eyes changed and she came back to herself. She's under her chair. I gave her a cookie. She's ok now. So my advise just talk, don't grab. If you grab they'll think they're trapped. They know your voice. Favorite food after. Good luck.

I would say, if you act out of the normal, that is what can make rabbits nervous too. If you anticipate something bad happening rabbits can pick up that mood - imho a survival instinct, out grazing they do listen to birdsong, and react to other animals being alarmed. When I check on them on New Years Eve they are just happy someone is up at midnight to give them a treat, ignoring the fireworks.

My advice would be to just stay calm, ignore whatever is going on act normal, give a treat, etc.. I've never seen another animal that cares less about noise than rabbits. Which can cause problems, like when chopping wood or working with the chainsaw. I drooped a pan right beside my boy and he didn't even flinch.
Nothing that poses a danger to rabbits is loud. But a braking twig, some rustling in the bushes, someone coming around the corner unexpected (I start talking before they can see me) can send them running. They know way better what a danger is, and what not than many other animals - life would be difficult for them if they were afraid of everything, like many dogs. They are pretty pragmatic about new noises, if they don't recognise it as a sign of danger then it most likely isn't something to worry about too much.

Of course there might be individual excemptions, depending on character, how they grew up etc.

Latest posts

Back