Fire Escape Plan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya wanta know whats scary. I wasthinking about this in school today. lol. I've got Fluffy'stravel carrier right next to his cage and a fire exscape ladder by thewindow. When I'm home Fluffy is never to far away, but its agood thing to have a plan. Grab, Stuff in travel carrier, Putladder out window, climb down.

-Ashley & Flopsy & Fluffy

this is weird that this was brought up today, ijust saw a fire yesterday at someone side-by-side house. i watched thewhole thing, no one had any idea there were animals in there until theowner finally came, and still a kitten died. in my apartment i havecarriers on a shelf in the rabbit room, and they get locked in theircages at night so it shouldnt be too hard to get them. and at mygrandfathers house where my other pets are right now, we have it set upwhere the animals are all downstairs and kept close to the back door.he has a big backyard that has 3 parts to it in case of a fire. onepart is the porch for them to travel through, then theres a back partby the shed that has a dog house built in it and thats for the dogs togo in for safety, then theres the side yard for firefighters oranything. we know for a fact this plan works because when i was livinghere about 4 years ago the house started on fire, and back then we had6 rotweilers and a dachshund, chihuahua and a cat. the only thing nowis that i have a bearded dragon that he agreed he'd take care of til igraduate college, but i know he would never touch him, so i hopesomeone would bring his tank out of the house with him in it.

JimD wrote:
Lissa wrote:
ruka wrote:
I have themagnet that notifies the firefighters of the pets in the house, but Idoubt that they know how to rescue rabbits.
I have those too.

We had a thread about where to get these and I can't find it!!!

HELP!!!:?

~Jim
I knew there was a thread about this!I looked and looked, but couldn't find it. Isn't it frustrating? Lol :mad:

Pillowcases! I need that in the rabbit room too.I'm worried though, because even if I did get Pepsi out, she probablywouldn't recover from the trauma :?. I guess how I'd get the bunniesout depends on the time. If It was just a small fire, I'd probably justgrab them and put them in a bin or a box, but if It was a huge hurryI'd probably just get them into the pillowcases and run. Depending onwhat I was wearing, I probably could stuff Pepsi in my shirt and holdher through my shirt and hold her like that so she couldn't struggleand me drop her. I remember when she was a baby and I went to put herin her cage (her facing away from thedoor) and I was wearingmy pjs and she jumped in my shirt collar and I had the hardest timetrying to wiggle her out the bottem. :D

My dog is only about 12-14 pounds so I could easily while runningdownstairs take him with me (or my mom could get him) then get thebunnies. I just hope there won't be a fire!

In some areas you can register your pets withthe fire department, so they have how many people/pets are in your homejust in case they get called there.

I've been meaning to call my Fire department and see if they do this (i just moved here).

You can usually buy stickers that u can write down how many pets u havein the home and stick them on/near your front door. I've seen them at afew pet shops.

The pillow cases are a GREAT idea, and much easier to hide near thehutch then the large carriers. I will make sure Ihave a few.I don't really know what i would do about my gerbils... i have 11tanks, at least they are in the room closest to my front door with alarge window right on ground level, so they would be much earier totake out, then if they were upstairs.

If you can't find the "pets live here" stickers, something you can do is type something to that effect, sorta like this:

_____ Cats

_____ Bunnies

_____ Parakeets

Are inside. In case of emergency, please rescue them!

Then laminate it with contact paper or something, and tape or glue itto a window, door, wall, or someplace visible. When you choose a placeto put a sticker/sign/etc, think about if it would be visible when theair is thick with smoke. Would the firemen be able to read it? Tryusing a visible color and/or a large font.

I have a plastic carrier next to my cages incaseof an emergency, but getting them in it would most likelytaketoo long.If I was in a real rush, I have 2 canvasshopping bags I can use. I knowthis would be stressful forthe buns, but it's the quickest way I can scoop themup andget them out of the house.

Thanks for the "pets live here" sticker idea, I will have to get/make some of those.

Are your smoke alarms are up and working with new batteries????

This is something I need to do. The alarms use regular batteries andall I have is alkaline. We usually change the batteries and clean thealarms at the same time thatDaylight Savings changes.

~Jim

ruka wrote:
JimD wrote:
Lissa wrote:
ruka wrote:
I have themagnet that notifies the firefighters of the pets in the house, but Idoubt that they know how to rescue rabbits.
I have those too.

We had a thread about where to get these and I can't find it!!!

HELP!!!:?

~Jim
I knew there was a thread about this!I looked and looked, butcouldn't find it. Isn't it frustrating? Lol :mad:

found it! :D

here's the link to the site.......

irishmist wrote:
this is the website for the stickers you put on your doors so ifthere is an emergency they know the animals are in the house.. justfill it out

Susan

https://secure2.convio.net/aspca/site/SSurvey?ACTION_REQUIRED=URI_ACTION_USER_REQUESTS&SURVEY_ID=1460

JimD wrote:

This is something I need to do. The alarms use regular batteries andall I have is alkaline. We usually change the batteries and clean thealarms at the same time thatDaylight Savings changes.

~Jim
our smoke detectors start beeping annoyingly when theirbatteries get low. It's hard to miss. And theyusually get tested at times when I try to cook.

JimD wrote:

~Jim

Our smoke alarm is a very good spot,in ahallway soas soon as smoke starts collecting a bit it goes off... It usually goesoff atleast once a week with how I cook.. hehe :p :tongue

Thanks for the reminder, Jim.:) Mine aren't back up since I changed things around in thehouse months ago. (The way my kitchen is designed,even light toast would set off the one in that room).

I live in a big tinderbox, so this is my worstfear.:nerves1 Unfortunately, the landlordhasno idea I have fiverabbits.:shhhh I'm not sure Iwant to advertise that on the frontdoor.:whistlingThe landlordmayturn a blind eye :privateeyes, she keeps seeing rabbits whenshe drops by (Dill runs to the door to greet people, hard to keep himhidden ;), and Pipp often goes out with me), but she's not apet person, I think shethinks there's just one that looksdifferent all the time. :rollseyes:

The othertenants (they own three houses in a row with severalsuites in each) would definitely start asking why I can have all thesepets while they aren't even allowed any at all. :pssd

It's even worse because my bunnies are all in different areas of thehouse -- one in my bedroom, two in a back porch and two who have run ofthe rest of the house.Getting everybunny gatheredup won't be fast or easy. And there's three cats, and atleast onewill head to the basement where it will be almostimpossible to get her.

(I think I just typed myself into having nightmares tonight). :shock:

sas
icon_neutral.gif
and the large and loose gang
dancing.gif
:bunnydance::rabbithop:brownbunny:bunny2:jumpingbunny:

Fire is one of the things I am reallyscared of. If we got a fire, it wouldn't be for awhile because it'snearly winter. We could get a fire though, because we live right near anational park; lots of bushland.

If we did get a fire, my family would try our hardest to savemy little boy. His carry cage & towel is next tohishutch so that shouldn't be a problem. The only problem Ican think of, is that I can't catch him quick enough as he lives on thebalcony. :?

-Anneliese :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back