Fire Escape Plan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruka

Reaction score
I tried to search for a similar existing threadon the forum, but couldn't find one. Do you have a fire escape plan foryour bunnies and pets?

I've been thinking about this lately due to recent news of homescatching fire. I know if I release my dogs, they'll run outside, but asfor my rabbits, I'd have to scoop them out of their cage, put them intheir crate, and run. I don't know if there will be time to do all ofthat. To top it off, they can be difficult to catch, especially whenthey are scared. They have a big cage which makes it difficult tocorner them.

I have the magnet that notifies the firefighters of the pets in the house, but I doubt that they know how to rescue rabbits.

What is your plan whether your rabbits/pets are outside or inside? Did you and your family decide a safe meeting place?

I've actually thought about this a lot. Mytheory is 'Grab the rabbit and run' even if I have to be rough and grabthem by their scruff or something. Hmm I might put two boxes and atowel to throw over the rabbits to trap themin the rabbitroom incase a fire does happen. I have told myself though, if I cannotget to my rabbits I just can't. It breaks my heart at the possibility,but I can't risk my life to try to save my much loved Pepsi andPebbles.

Hmm something to think a bout more. My mom would be mad if there was afire and I triedto save my rabbits, even if my life wasn't indanger.. she'd want me to just get out but if I can, I want to save mypets! I'm pretty quick if I have to grab them though :D. One timePebbles ran upstairs and my dog was off his leash and before he couldstart chasing her I lunged and grabbed her by the scruff and pulled heraway.. scared me to death!

Thanks for bringing this up!

Yep, Skippy's carrying case is right next to hiscage, and all of his goodies are on top of the cage. So, I could openit..grab him...put him in the cage and make a run for it. I also keepthis in mind incase of tornadoes and such..

I know my parents would be upset if I saved mypets too, even if I had time, but they understand how much I love them.I have their crate near their cage, but the towel idea is a good one.

Yup I thought of that because I know when ananimal is scared and you put a towel to cover it's eyes it calms down alot and this works pretty good with Pepsi. She can be a skittery messwhen I'm in a hurry and she's scared.

I don't really have an official plan butIalwayskeep CupCake's carry crate right next to hercage just in case. I figure if there was ever a problem I would grabher out of the cage and put her into the crate and get out of there. Ihave been terrified of house fires ever since I was little (my momclaims it has something to do with a school fire drill) so I alwaysseem to dwell on it more than I should.

To those of you that have the "pets in the house" magnet where did youget it and where do you have it posted? I really should get one, thoughlike Rukasaid, I doubt a firefighter would know how to safelyrescue a rabbit. That's probably not something they're trained in...

Lissa

I got mine for free at my vet clinic, but I've seen pet stores selling them too. I keep mine on my fridge.

I do have the carriers near where the rabbitsare kept. But in a pinch, I've heard of usingpillowcases. Yeah, they'll chew out, but by then you shouldbe in a car or something.

naturestee wrote:
I do have the carriers near where the rabbits arekept. But in a pinch, I've heard of usingpillowcases. Yeah, they'll chew out, but by then you shouldbe in a car or something.

That's a GREAT idea! I am glad this thread was brought up, because I never gave it much thought.

Ay-yi-yi...

I really need to have some sort of fire plan for the animals. I mean,we're not prone to many natural disasters here in Maine. No tornadoes,or hurricanes, or earthquakes. We've had some flooding recently, butnothing we couldn't take time to prepare for.

However, I don't think I could forgive myself if a fire happened and wedidn't have a way to rescue all the animals. The mice have their traveltanks handy. I'll put the rabbits' near their cage. And the cats shouldprobably have their crates more easily accessible.

Thanks for starting this thread. It's something every owner should at least think about.

Yeppers .....pillowcases!!!!

We've got 8 buns right now, so carrying cases would take FOREVER!!!!

Keep the pillow cases in the same roome as the bunnies and keep thecases somewhere else, a detached garage or outbuilding,so thebuns could be transfered into them when safe.

Our cages fold down so I could even toss a few of them out the window before I follow.

Here's the original thread...
http://rabbitsforums.com/view_topic.phpid=6558&forum_id=1&highlight=pillowcases

~Jim

Pillowcases! What an excellent idea. I think I'll go put one next to CupCake's cage just to be on the safe side.

JimD~ I just had to laugh when I picturedyou throwing rabbitcages out the window. Probably because we all know the rabbits andcages would come out first and then you would follow ;). I guess normalpeople would save themselves first... but who would want to be normal?

ruka wrote:
Ihave the magnet that notifies the firefighters of the pets in thehouse, but I doubt that they know how to rescue rabbits.
I have those too.

well, our dog sleeps upstairs with us.So the only real concern I have with her is that we need to get one ofthose ladders to get us down from the 2nd floor if we gottrapped. And getting her down that will be achallenge. Of course, we have shrubs right below our windowand a small part of our entry way that we can walk onbreifly. So, we could get her on that and then throw her intothe shrubs.

The rabbit we just moved to the area behind our garage, so she is safeunless our garage catches on fire or blows up. I can scoopher up and throw her in one of her food bins to carry her ifneccesary.

We do also have the window sticky to save our pets.

mskoala wrote:
well, our dog sleeps upstairs with us. So the onlyreal concern I have with her is that we need to get one of thoseladders to get us down from the 2nd floor if we got trapped.And getting her down that will be a challenge. Of course, wehave shrubs right below our window and a small part of our entry waythat we can walk on breifly. So, we could get her on that andthen throw her into the shrubs.
How big is your dog?

Our dog is about 40 lbs and would probably be the first thing my wifegrabs before running around the back of the house to catch thebunnies-in-a-bag.

BunnyLover wrote:
JimD~ I just had to laugh when I picturedyouthrowing rabbit cages out the window. Probably because we all know therabbits and cages would come out first and then you would follow ;). Iguess normal people would save themselves first... but who would wantto be normal?

Remember Pee Wee saving the pets from the burning petstore??

JimD wrote:
mskoala wrote:
well, our dogsleeps upstairs with us. So the only real concern I have withher is that we need to get one of those ladders to get us down from the2nd floor if we got trapped. And getting her down that willbe a challenge. Of course, we have shrubs right below ourwindow and a small part of our entry way that we can walk onbreifly. So, we could get her on that and then throw her intothe shrubs.
How big is your dog?

Our dog is about 40 lbs and would probably be the first thing my wifegrabs before running around the back of the house to catch thebunnies-in-a-bag.
our Sammy is about 40lbs. Tim could pick her upeasily, me, not so easily. But our bed is right next to thewindow so I could shove her out from there. plus, our houseis brck. does brick actually burn?

I made my husband memorize the escape plan andit driveshim crazy. Everyone has carriers under their cages.First the birds have to be removed from the condo, they are the mostsensitive to smoke and they will die quick. Then I told him to getFrodo out first, because he is the easiest to pick up, then Gandalf andthen Merry. I figured it is better to spend the time grabbing theeasiest to catch first so someone will be saved. If he spent 15mintrying to catch a scared Merry then the other bunnies would die too.But lets hope that never happens.:shock:

Oh and PetsMart carries the Firefighter stickersto alert them about pets in the house, I saw them near the surgerycollars in my store.

Latest posts

Back