Finally close to getting my new bun :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLS

Reaction score
So after being gone from the forum for awhile, I'm finally getting close to having my little baby Belgian Hare :) I heard back from the breeder a few days ago and I should be able to go pick up the little troublemaker the weekend of the 20th. Now, I've just got to go through my shopping list and make sure I've got everything ready. I've been referencing a few HRS checklists to try and make my list complete but I just wanted to share in case I'm missing something obvious. So here's the list:

X-pen/Dog Crate
Litterbox and Litter ( Probably going to use yesterday's news or the kaytee small animal lavender scented stuff, anyone here have reviews of either? )
Large Cat Carrier ( with soft towels and hay in it for the drive )
Nail Clippers and Styptic Powder
Food dish and oxbox pellets ( the locking crock kind that you attach between bars of a pen/cage)
Hay rack and Hay ( probably Oxbox Alfalfa for now with some ordered from Crazy Tasty Hay on the way )
Water crock and bottle ( The breeder says her buns have access to both so we'll see what he ends up preferring )
Nature's Miracle Cage Cleaner for Small Animals ( for clean up in addition to the bleach and vinegar I already have on hand )
A plastic igloo
Cardboard Boxes
A cat tunnel ( for free-ranging fun )
A brush
Contact the vet's office I plan on using to set up a general wellness check/pre-neuter appointment ( how long after bringing him home should I do this? Let him settle in well first? )
Bunny-proof my bedroom
and lots of chewable/rollable/tossable toys from various sources :)

Am I missing anything important in that list? I want to make sure I have the pen set up in advance before bunny arrives. Any extras I should think about adding?

I also have a question on x-pens/dog crates. My bedroom is very very small so while an x-pen could be unfolded to larger sizes, I would have to fold it smalller ( to about 4 x 2) while I'm home( to give myself room to walk into my closet from my bedroom) and extend it to the full 4' x 4' when I leave for classes/work to give bun a bit more room to run around when I'm gone. Would this setup work alright? While I'm home, the bun would likely be free ranging anyway once he was trustworthy enough with his littertraining to not pee on everything in sight. Should I just keep his cage smaller( 4' x 2' ) for the first few weeks to help make litter training easier? If 4 x 2 is way too small for his cage to be even when its just night/free-range time, I could figure out a way to keep it extended to the full 4 x4 full time. Also what would y'all suggest to put under the pen? I was thinking either outdoor/garage carpet from Lowes or those childrens puzzle flooring mats ( not sure what they're actually called, does anyone know where to get them?)

fwiw, my bunnies never go in their igloo - at best, nala might sit on top of it now and then. you could save some money by sticking with cardboard boxes :p

re: vet - I gave my bunnies about a week to settle in before taking them in for a checkup.

with the pen, are you saying 4x2 in addition to the dog crate? if so, that's plenty of room in the beginning - it's good to start with a small space and build up to a larger area when you're working on litter box training/introducing a bunny to a new environment :)

as for flooring, I use a cheap tarp from walmart. the puzzle mat would work too if you can find it... I'd be wary of carpet, though, as the bunny could chew on it/ingest the fibers and get an obstruction (some people do use carpet; whether or not it's safe comes down to whether your bunny is inclined to nom on it).

my bunns' favorite chew is a willow ball :D (you can get 'em from petsmart... if your bunny likes them and you're willing to order in bulk to reduce the per-item shipping costs, it actually ends up being cheaper per ball to buy them here - http://www.pawtasticpet.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WARE03153 )

Sorry if I was unclear with the pen, the pen that I'm planning on getting extends up to 4' x 4' or 2' x 6'. While I'm using my bedroom/during free range time, I was hoping to fold it down to 4' x 2' and then extend it back out to 4' x 4' when I left for classes. But, like I said if that's too small of a space even during my morning routine, I can leave it unfolded to 4' x 4' full time and figure that out. Would him having just 4' x 2' or 4' x 4' of space be better for the frist few weeks?

I'm moving to a larger place next year as my bedroom is just teeny tiny. For supervised free range, he'd have access to my room, my walk in closet ( almost as large as my room LOL ), and eventually the kitchen/part of the living room.

And I think I might just replace the igloo with more toys if its going to get ignored in favor of boxes :)

Make sure to get some transition feed and hay, if they feed hay, from the breeder so you'll be able to switch your bun to the oxbow pellets safely. It helps to have the hay it's used to, find out any toys or treats it's used to, that you could get to help it get used to being in a new home more easily. Try and find out as many specifics as you can, that way if your bun has any trouble adjusting, you'll have a little extra knowledge to try and help your bun out.

just my personal experience with my bunns, but yeah, I wouldn't buy an igloo again given their lackluster response to it.

I would say 4'x4' as much as possible, but 4'x2' when you're getting ready in the morning would be fine.

Avoid scented litters. They may smell nice to you, but a rabbit is really close to them and can't really get away from the smell. Scents can cause respiratory problems as well, so are best avoided. I would suggest using wood pellet litter, it costs about $5 for 40 pounds and that should last quite a while with just one rabbit.

For a carrier, a 23X15" one of bigger is best. While a Belgian hare should not weight more than a smaller on can hold, they have a bigger frame and need more space. If you can go bigger that is great too. I would suggest one that either has a top door or the top can come off easily. Some rabbits don't like coming out, so having a top access really helps. A towel inside is good as is hay.

You don't need to buy cleaner. I use a vinegar and water mix that does the job very well. I do use a spray bottle, but those are cheap enough at a dollar store.

A bed would be a good idea. Mine seem to prefer the doughnut cat beds (flat bottom with a roll around the edge). Some rabbits don't like them or will pee in them, so I would not recommend an expensive one until you know what he will do.

You will want some blankets or something to lay down. It helps protect your floor and gives your rabbit something soft to lay on. I use fleece, but some use towels (I find some of mine like to chew them).

For the vet, start looking now. You might want to hold off booking anything until you get him, but also ask about how much of a wait they usually have. When you get him, look him over to see if there is anything that concerns you. If it is serious, then call the vet to get in as soon as you can. Otherwise you can wait a bit to let him settle in and to see if there is anything that comes up. If you wanted to book before getting him, then I would go at least a few days to a week after you get him so he can settle in and you can get to know him a bit.

Thanks for the advice everyone :) I already asked about getting a baggy of the pellets he's currently on but I'll also ask about toys/familiar bedding. I'll set up his pen as a 4 x 4 and start getting used to having it in the room as soon as it gets here in the mail.

Korr_and_Sophie, I'll look into getting wood pellet litter. That's the same as wood stove pellets, right?

The carrier I have is pretty large, I believe its a medium dog carrier/very long large cat carrier ( i bought it from a used pet supply store and gave it a good cleaning with bleach and water ). I'll look into getting some fleece from Joann's/check the local goodwill for fleece baby blankets ( that's where I used to get cheap fleece for rat hammocks lol ) and a soft bed to see if he decides to pee on it.

As for the vet, I already know which vet I want to use. They were recommended by the wisconsin HRS and an acquaintance who's heavily involved in rabbit rescue. I doubt there will be anything requiring immediate medical attention as I'm buying from a reputable breeder but just in case, I do have the phone number of a 24 hour animal emergency room that does see rabbits. I think for now I'll let him settle in a bit and call to make an appointment once he's actually here.

Again, thanks for the advice and keep it coming if anyone else has something that should be added to my to-do list :)

Edit: Also found these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-6-Piece-High-Impact-Flooring/11089966 and these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Alphabet-4-x-4-Activity-Play-Mat/20595824 from walmart so that should be good non-slippy flooring

MLS wrote:
Korr_and_Sophie, I'll look into getting wood pellet litter. That's the same as wood stove pellets, right?
yup!

as for fleece, you might also check walmart - mine has small fleece blankets for $2.89 each, which is a very nice deal. I ripped out the yarn "hem" around the edge just in case my bunns decided they felt like chewing on their blankies.

Thanks for the advice everyone, here's a few really cute ( but blurry ) picture that the breeder sent me the other day of the babies :) I'll be picking one of these boys. :biggrin2:
2yuna74.jpg

34tdh1w.jpg

24mavkm.jpg

2ivb1p0.jpg

You want your carrier to be a careful balance of big enough for the animal to turn around, etc. and small enough that you can comfortably carry it. I recommend a hard sided carrier with side and top access for any pet as it really makes them easier to get in and out when you need to.

As for the litter I currently use (and LOVE) the kaytee soft granule blend. I get it in the unscented because it is a little bit cheeper than the lavender and mint. When I had mice I used the lavender scent with no problems. The lavender is not heavily scented at all, the animals never notice it, and it has real pieces of lavender in it that is safe for them to eat. I have tried the wood stove pellets and did not like them. To me they do not help with the smell and you end up having to replace them more often than with the kaytee. With the kaytee I put a bit in the litter boxes and then scoop the poop and pee out with a cat litter scoop every day or every other day. I only replace all the litter when the box runs empty which is 1x every week or 2. My rabbits refuse to go to the bathroom with the wood pellets. They will only go in a box with the kaytee. I really do not have ANY complaints about using it. I can get a 27.5 liter bag for ~$15 and that will last at LEAST 1-2 months with 2 rabbits and cleaning WAY more than need be. I think that you should get a bag and try it out.

Hi everybody :) Just a quick update, I finally have almost everything in and set up. The x-pen proved to be just a little too big to be unfolded to a 4' x 4' in my room due to a small heating pipe in the corner of my room ( old old building ). So instead I've got it set up as a large hexagon that's about 42" across. Is that fine while he's settling in and learning his litterbox?

I went on a toy shopping spree and I've got natural rattan balls, jingly balls, an amaze rabbit ball, wiffle balls, small seagrass mats, natural willow rounds, vine chew stick, banana leaf chews, and some other things as well as a yard and a half of super soft fleece with a cute kitty print on it for blankets/snuggling. I also picket up a cheap soft pet bed from Walmart but I think I'm going to replace it with one of these : http://www.etsy.com/listing/111021588/blue-lagoon-ugli-donut-bunny-bed-for-a if he decides to wee on it. I picked up a children's alphabet puzzle mat to keep under the pen so he won't slide. I also went ahead and got 5 pounds of Yesterday's News to try it out, a bag of oxbow alfalfa, and a bag of oxbow pellets ( I'm getting a bag of the breeder's pellets to transition him from )

Now I'm just waiting for my order to petco to get here with a heavy ceramic crock, nail clippers and styptic, and a few other things. I do have a few more questions for you bunny experts though.

I'm afraid that the openings on the xpen are too big for an 8 week old bunny, what's safe that I could put around the outside of it so that he can't get his head stuck?

I put my alfalfa into a cardboard box with holes stabbed into each side and the top open, I put it in the bottom shelf of my bookcase. Its cooler out where my bookcase it and fairly well ventilated but its not dark, would it be better to keep it in a shelf in my closet where it is much warmer but dark? Or will the hay be fine out there?

I went to buy a few treats from the grocery store for him, I know that bunnies under 12 weeks can't have veggies but would a few sprigs of mint be alright as treats? Also, the supermarket near me sells vacuum sealed edible flowers, are these safe for bunnies?

Lastly, can anyone identify what kind of woodchips are in the pictures I posted? I would like to use that same kind of litter at least at first to help him settle in, or is that unnecessary and he'll adjust to different litter?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get everything right!

You could put some cardboard around the bottom foot (or more?) of his x-pen, so he won't get his head stuck.

You're hay should be fine. Mine is just in a cabinet in my kitchen in a bag and I've never had an issue with it.

As for the mint as a treat, I don't think you should give that to him until he's old enough to have the veggies. Someone else may weigh in on that.
I think the flowers depend on what kind they are, but I think you would wait until they're old enough also.

As for the bedding in the pictures, the pictures are pretty blurry, so its hard to tell. But to me they look like pine shavings or carefresh. But I'm leaning more towards pine shavings. Which aren't good for rabbits. I don't know if a litter change will throw a rabbit off, (So someone else can answer that part of the question)

Oh and it sounds to me like you've gone above and beyond making sure everything is right for your new bun! You sould like you're going to be a great bunny mama!

For your xpen, I used posterboard in mine, about a foot tall along the bottom. It'll work as long as your bun doesn't decide to chew it up.

Your hay should be fine where you've put it. I think it's direct sunlight that you don't want.

Giving mint is something you'll have to decide whether it will be bad or not. If you do try it just give a tiny piece and then keep an eye on the poop to make sure it stays normal.

The wood chips are probably pine shavings. That's what a lot of breeders and pet stores will use. You could buy a small bag if you think it will help. I actually did myself when I got a new rabbit, cause it's what it had in it's cage and was used to, so I thought it might help litter train her. She actually wouldn't use the litter box, so I changed the litter to carefresh and she loved it and would roll in it and would pee in there. Later I changed to aspen shavings cause I didn't like the carefresh and she liked that too, but the pine shavings that she was used to, she never did like. You could just try what you already have and if it doesn't seem to be working you could try something different and see if that works better.

How exciting for you! It sounds like you are thinking everything through.

Your hay will be just fine. Bunny will eat it (hopefully) quick enough that it won't have time to be a storage issue.

I don't think it will be a problem to switch litter right away. It's a new home, so the new litter will just be part of the transition. He won't be litter trained anyway so it won't make any difference. Did you notice if the Yesterday's News you purchased is scented or unscented? You will want the unscented kind.

Transitioning of the pellets you already have under control. There is no need to offer any treats at all. Just isn't necessary and could cause stomach problems which you don't want to even go anywhere near. :wink No need to take any chances. Besides, it's best for a baby's tummy to keep it simple - just hay and pellets.

That bunny bed is to die for! So adorable!!

About the x-pen, I have an idea that might work. I had to do this with my pen when I was trying to keep 2 bunnies from getting at each other during bonding. It's a plastic mesh that I purchased in a roll at lowes. It was 4' high but I cut the height in half. Let's see if this photo shows it better...

16589_151835_200000000.jpg

it depends on the x-pen as to whether or not the bars are spaced wide enough for the bunny to get out... but if it can't get out, it shouldn't be able to get its head stuck even if it can stick it through because the horizontal bars should be spaced very widely compared to the vertical ones. it's the ears that go through and then won't go back that cause the head to get stuck - if the openings are rectangular (like a pen) instead of square (like a NIC grid), the ears will be able to go back out without human assistance. (I know way more about this than I'd like to due to my lionhead getting her head stuck in a NIC panel at 9 weeks old)

I would stay away from fresh treats of any kind until 12 weeks. it's boring for that first month, but it gives their digestive tract a chance to develop a bit more. once of age, edible flowers should be fine for bunnies. if in doubt, check this toxic plant list - http://adoptarabbit.org/articles/toxic.html#w

avoid pine shavings at all costs even if it's what the bunny is used to - they're really bad for them

Thanks again for the advice everyone :)

I'll stay away from treats for now, I don't want to introduce anything dangerous in addition to the stress of moving and I guess I'll stick with the yesterday's news ( unscented I went and made sure lol ). The bars in my x-pen are oriented like the ones on the pen that blue-eyes posted, is that the kind that would be safe for him to stick his head out of, Imbrium? Each rectangular opening is 1 3/4" wide by 6" tall. I don't think he'll be able to squeeze out, I'm just worried about his head getting stuck.

I might just go get a roll of mesh if its cheap at lowes to be safe anyway.

yeah, he's got upright ears so they shouldn't be able to get stuck in that sort of bar spacing :)

Latest posts

Back