Fever 106F

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops guess we replied at the same time!
Well that’s good! It definitely could be ambient temp related like I said then, which is better than an infection.

They are doing blood work now. What is ambient temperature? Again, baytril they have is in injectable form ... darn it

I have read that when a rabbit has high fever (doesnt matter ambient or not) for a long time, it can cause irreversible brain damage

Let me know what comes of that! As in, environmental temperature. Ah typical! You’d be so much better off in the UK, I thought rabbit medicine was bad here until joining this forum!

Yes this can happen in any animal, but it would need to be very high, and he would be showing symptoms such as lethargy and imbalance

If he gets dehydrated so easily, does it mean i have to give him sub q fluids all the time? Hmmm. Not a good idea
I wish that heat misery was over here!

Maybe because he has been given fluids for so long, he doesn’t know how or when to get his own hydration through drinking water and eating veg and grass? Yes I bet! I can’t imagine that heat.
Yes that is high, sorry I don’t teally know Fahrenheit!

Oh no I’m sorry to hear that :( hepatic lipidosis maybe? Whats the Vets plan?

They called me. She researched and prescribing metrinodazole and cholestyramine. But i will have to find a pharmacy that can fill it... my child is flying from the camp right now, flights are delayed and she will be late to connection. Lots of trouble..
Regarding Paul, i think i need to release him from this misery if he makes it till the morning: (

if its clostridium, is it dangerous to people?
I also have parrots, can it be spread to them?

Hi Bella's mom. thumperina had cancer and passed 3 weeks ago, now her bonded companion is battling a disease and he is not feeling well at all. sorry for no good news

a hard dilemma about pain control. liver is damaged so all meds put more strain on the liver...

Maybe because he has been given fluids for so long, he doesn’t know how or when to get his own hydration through drinking water and eating veg and grass? Yes I bet! I can’t imagine that heat.
Yes that is high, sorry I don’t teally know Fahrenheit!

106 F is just over 41 C!

Thumperina, sorry to hear you are having such difficulty with your rabbit. :(

Enterotoxemia from the clostridium bacteria is a gastrointestinal illness that causes severe diarrhea and may cause bloating, which is what the meds metronidazole and cholestyramine would be used for. Paul's symptoms don't fit a clostridium infection. It sounds more like it could be a different type of internal infection and/or liver problem. I'm sorry to hear he's doing poorly. It's not an easy position to be in and I'm sorry you're having to make that choice now.

The cholestyramine can help with some of the pain related to liver disease. As jbun said the metronidazole would be used for GI infection, rather than liver. It can be possible to nurse a rabbit with liver disease (I think low dose acetaminophen/codeine is the best recommendation? But not too sure). It could be a long process and difficult if your vet isn’t particularly rabbit savvy. I’ve got my fingers crossed for Paul, and for you :(

Enterotoxemia from the clostridium bacteria is a gastrointestinal illness that causes severe diarrhea and may cause bloating, which is what the meds metronidazole and cholestyramine would be used for. Paul's symptoms don't fit a clostridium infection. It sounds more like it could be a different type of internal infection and/or liver problem. I'm sorry to hear he's doing poorly. It's not an easy position to be in and I'm sorry you're having to make that choice now.
thank you. I have been reading a lot about GI stasis and so on... all articles mention possibility of clostridium growing when GI stasis occurs. but they dont say there has to be diarrhea. he did have diarrhea 2 weeks ago.
I am confused if I need to switch to metronidazole or keep with baytril.
are you sure that if he doesn't have diarrhea then its not clostridium?
the vet said that very elevated blood cell count speaks of infection. and very high liver enzymes speak of toxins, I guess? thank you again

Back