Fever 106F

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bella's mom. thumperina had cancer and passed 3 weeks ago, now her bonded companion is battling a disease and he is not feeling well at all. sorry for no good news
@Thumperina Oh I am so sorry. Thinking of you. My sympathies for Thumperina and I pray her bonded partner will be ok. Thinking of you! Sending you hugs xo

Yea liver enzymes can improve, the liver is really good at healing if it is not too badly damaged.

thank you
can 2 ABs be used at the same time (baytril and metronidazole)?
toxin binding drug is expensive... havent got it yet
he has no more fever but lots of gut pain
should I use metacam if his liver function is bad? im finishing buprenex sub-q shots
would a baytril dose of 22.7 mg twice a day be sufficient (he weighs 5 kg)? im trying tablets with beef flavor (the only kind available in tablets) instead of "injectable liquid mixed with syrup"... doc didn;t want him to have higher dose because of liver function

any ideas what to mix crashed tablets with ? tried apple sauce but some drug is lost during putting into syringe process and then during feeding

In theory both can be used together, but I’m not sure if you would want to with liver damage? Check with your vet.
Stick to the lower dose as your vet is right, the liver won’t cope with anything too high right now.
I would probably mix the tablets into a really thick paste, maybe with apple sauce but just a tiny bit, so there is less to get in so less spillage. Then I would take up water with that syringe to collect what’s left, and wash it down his throat too.

thank you .
I want to use activated charcoal to bind toxins. I have it at home. it won't do bad

Use waterbottles or tiles and freeze them then put them in with the bunny

suffering has ended for Paul. I put him down
hope he is meeting Thumperina at the rainbow bridge

Sadly, we will never find out what it was. Infection for sure from the blood work, and liver functions elevated that responded to it. My guess is that he could have been a carrier of something bad, then after Thumperina died, under stress his immune status dropped and bad things proliferated. His diarhhea 2 weeks ago most likely was related to all this and how it all began/ progressed. Not sure why fecal flotation was never done. None of the vets suggested it. I actually suggested it once when i took him in with diarrhea mentioning clostridium and the response was "its hard to detect, so no", but maybe we would detect coccidia this way.
I have lost 3 rabbits within the last year. FooFoo died last October after she stopped eating and i didn't catch it early. I just know that she had rear limbs paralized at the very end. I read that it can happen with coccidia.. but she never had diarrhea. I have a feeling she also had high fever at the end because she was shaking and breathing heavily just like Paul
Thumperina also never had any diarrhea in her life. She was eating poorly at the end but presumably because of pain from cancer and she lost weight. The first time Paul was of concern when i posted "my sick bun" and it was in May i believe.
However... today before we did PTS, i talked to my vet. I was hoping till the end... did i take his temperature right? He took it and it was 105. Then he palpated his tummy and Paul was very uncomfortable. At home, he was lying flat and his back legs were sliding down stretching out (he couldnt keep them under his body). The vet said yes its time. I said : even with the right treatment would he be able to recover? He said , unlikely. He said he had a rabbit that had liver disease going on for months, he sent him to the university 2.5 hrs away with still no result.
After paul was already sedated and they flipped him to make lethal injection he was making sounds that made me ask if.he was really sedated. The vet said he had difficulty breathing... so maybe you were right popsicles and he had problem in his lungs?
But mainly, his eating habbits were already so unhealthy that it would nake recovery hard... plus depression after he lost all his rabbits.
He eas clinging to life till the end. Hard to believe, he was still eating on his own but only kale. He was producing poop. Even cecal poop. But he was also lying flat on his tummy making sounds that would wake me up at night. Even with buprenex.
Sweet dreams by big bunny boy. I love you.

I am so so sorry for you, you’ve had some sad losses recently :( I’m glad that Paul can run freely and happily with Thumperina now, and that neither of them are suffering. All my love to you though, so sorry there wasn’t more that could be done <3

Thank you dear Popsicles for all your support, for being here for me even when you didnt have much time ! I don't think that there were nothing that could still be done but at what cost? Not even speaking of monetary cost, i was literally nursing him while the rest of the family was abandoned. I dont regret a single minute or cent that i spent taking care of Paul but his quality of life wasnt good (it was still life though)
We could put him on sulfa meds and cholestyramine, but even if he got better, i would still be wanting to rehome him to the place that have bunnies so that he could find a reason to be happy again . It wouldn't be easy, i already found out that rescues and sanctuaries dont take surrender pets . And i simply didnt have time/chance to even search very well because i have been so busy and overwhelmed.
Thank you everybody who took time for advice and compassion! They are truly appreciated

Last edited:
You did the right thing, going through all that nursing and feeling unwell wasn’t the kindest thing to Paul or to yourself. Please take care of yourself as well now x

my vet who put him down suggested E cuniculi. It would be good to know what it was since I have other pets in the house. coccidia, clostridium, and probably bunch of other stuff could still be possibilities.

The only way to know now would be to pay for a post mortem if your vet can offer that

I would leave it then, it won’t tell you much now as it’s been too long. If you are worried about your other pets just make sure you do a really good disinfection of everything, and keep an eye on them for any symptoms

Back