Ferret questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKGS

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone on here owns or has any info on ferrets but my fiance has always wanted one and we have the opportunity to adopt one. I am very leary because I have heard good and bad about them.

I think they are very cute and personable but other than that not a whole lot else. I haven't been around many and being I would be the main caretaker because he works so much I want to know if I can handle ferret ownership.

Also I do not want any animal to come in here that could or would try to hurt Tony and I have heard that ferrets can be extremely aggressive towards other pets. Mostly I have heard this about smaller animals such as rats, mice, etc.... That is the other concern I have. I have owned many, many rats over the years and LOVED everyone of them! One day we may wish to add another pair of ratties and I don't wish them to be in danger.

So does anyone have experience with these little fuzzbutts? Thanks in advance.

Oh wow... 15. Lol.

I found out after searching through some old posts on the ferret site the rehomer had made that she has allowed her ferrets to 'play with a rat' and by the reactions of the forum members whom have rats I would say 'play' wasn't the word for what the rehomer let happen in her sight... Alot of the thread had been removed so I can surmise what happened as there is no rat any longer....
I don't think this guy is right for this home. I am afraid what would happen now that his hunting urge has been 'lit'. Do you think I'm right in this assumption? I just would die if something happened to Tony. He is my baby.
I know dogs can be retrained to not kill but still have to be watched in those instances usually but I don't know if I could ever trust a ferret who has killed.

I don't know much about ferrets as I've never owned one but one of my friends has one. I definitely would keep them separated from any other small animals. Ferrets are predators and I wouldn't trust them around any small animals. Even if they are just "playing" with them, they could do a lot of damage.

So if you decide to get one, keep it separated from your bunny or any other small pets when its out of its cage.

They are really cute and fun pets. They are very mischievous and its very funny watching them play.

The ferrets weren't ever really 'playing' with the rat- they were mauling it. I just wanted to make it a little less horrible sounding... Especially since I have had and love ratties.

I would defo not along them to be together, in Ireland ferrets are used for hunting, they are sent down rabbit holes and they kill the rabbit for the hunter. So I wouldn't take the risk. They are very cute though! I would love a ferret but because of the smell I wouldn't be allowed keep it in the house and I wouldn't want to have it in the same room as my bunnies, I would be worrying all the time.

clean cage daily... and when you let them out to play make sure they are watched closely.. my sisters ferret got out of its cage and the found her under her house...

Latest posts

Back