Fen's rough days and Holland probs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Fen looks pretty awful right now. Not only isthere some unknown allergen in the air (making me sneeze too), but thepellet dustreally sets him off. This one's my fault,definitely. Went away for a day and in the rush of leaving forgot totell mom to sift his pellets and wipe out the dish.

Also, not knowing this would be a problem, she scooped the food out ofthe bottom of the bucket to give to them, so it was a lot of "crumbs"and dust. Everyone else was fine but Fenny, whose nose is now swollenand raw and he's sneezing in staccato bursts and wiping his drippynose. He lifts his head up soooo high when I come and snuffles throughhis stuffy nose to try and smell his treats.....but no dice. Poor boy.It's better since I got rid of the dust and wiped the dish, but I thinkwe'll just have to ride it out, again. My bad.:(

I also notice he scratches his ears right after he has a sneezing fit.Might be mites, but I doubt it--I think it's the allergies, which canmake for itchy ears. Am keeping an eye on him lately for a couple minorthings anyway. I think he may be pulling fur obsessively from hisflanks, but I treated him for mites anyway. I do think it's all in hishead though, as he's always been a neurotic littlething.:pWe'll see.

Am also trying raspberry leaves and dandelion greens in small amounts.He may be allergic to some greens, so I'm trying to narrow it down abit. He honestly reacts to everything though. We'll see whathappens with the new cage in July. He's long overdue for anupgrade--maybe it's something in the cage too.

New breeders, beware of genetic problems in breedingstock!!!!:?I so wish I'd known Izzy was a carrier ofso many problems. She didn't show signs until a year after the babieswere born, so I didn't know. Deafness, blindness, stunted sexualdevelopment....and probably this whole allergy/sensitivity thing withFenwick. But he'll be all right when the weather changes, and it's notlike we haven't been through this before!

I don't regret having two sweet babies and a wonderful mother, but theyare all handicapped in several ways (especially Pandemonium), and the"special needs" care can be difficult. Not to mention that Pandemoniumis not quite right in her little head either. I have a big list ofinstructions for rabbit-sitters who've never met Pandemonium.

Careful when waking her up, or she'll have a heart attack. Thump, don't touch!

Everything in the same place.

Move her head and place it in the food so she can find it again.

Make sure she hasn't dumped it five minutes later.

WATCH, watch, watchher every moment the door is open, or shewill fall. She has absolutely no idea where the cage ends.

She is so not a normal bunny. It's pretty obvious that something's notright. Adorable and sweet, but needs very special care. Profoundlydeaf, mostly blind, and generally a bit slow in the head.

Fen and Izzy are physically so fragile, and there's always some scarewith them. :?Fen is smart but Izzy hasnothing inher sweet little head, bless her.:p

Oh, frustration. Pals are so much sturdier. Just venting! I do love myHols. I just worry about them, especially when I have to leave them.

Rose

If hes digging at his ears, he has mites. If hes missing hair on hisbody then hes probably got some fur mites going on. Rabbits dont getallergies and start scratching at their ears like that. And hair lossis a sign of fur mites.

Ivernmec horse paste will clear those right up. just put a dab in their mouths.

For the doe, im not trying to sound meanor anything, but if shes blind,deaf, and can't around without help wouldn't it be more humane to haveher euthanized. I mean that can't be a fun life for her if you have toshow her where to eat and drink. Esp if she can't see or find it on herown.

it also sounds like youve got a snuffles infection going on. Or evenpossibly some heat stress from the warm weather we've had lately.

Have you ever had a vet take a look at them? By the sounds of it, it might be a good idea.

That's an awful list of problems. Haveyou talked to Izzy's breeder since you found out about all the problemsshe carries? If he has them showing up in his stock he shouldhave told you. Sounds like he could use a good rant fromyou.:D

Dixon, I disagree with euthanizing the doe, mainly because I could notput down an animal that is not dying and still has a will tolive. My husband's uncle fosters unadoptable dogsand I have seen some that are far worse off but still appear veryhappy, wagging their tails and licking your face if they can findit. And it sounds like Rabbitgirl is prepared to take care ofher for life.

rabbitgirl wrote:
New breeders, beware of genetic problems inbreeding stock!!!!:?

Rose

Unfortunately, these problems can be a continual struggle with any purebred animal.

They are inbred to achieve certain characteristics in a strain, howevermany congenital health problems can also be inherited.

Any breed that carries the dwarfing gene (such as Hollands)isat even more risk because that gene itself is often associated withother health problems.

Breeders do attempt to cull out the known genetic problems, however,all organisms carrythousands ofundesirablerecessive mutations that may cause health problems -- it's absolutelyimpossible to be aware of all of them, let alone breed them all out.

Pam

<<For the doe, im not trying tosound meanor anything, but if shes blind, deaf, and can't aroundwithout help wouldn't it be more humane to have her euthanized. I meanthat can't be a fun life for her if you have to show her where to eatand drink. Esp if she can't see or find it on her own. >>

Dixons, Pandemonium is a special case :). She is wonderfully lookedafter by Rose, and leads her little life to the fullest. If she wassuffering, I would probably agree, but if you manage to see some ofRose's photos of her, you will see that despite her disabilities shedoes fine, as does Gypsy's Black Star, who is also blind.

Rose, I'm sorry poor Fenny's allergies are bad again. I hope you haverain or something to clear the air.- Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
Dixons, Pandemonium is a special case :). She is wonderfullylooked after by Rose, and leads her little life to the fullest. If shewas suffering, I would probably agree, but if you manage to see some ofRose's photos of her, you will see that despite her disabilities shedoes fine, as does Gypsy's Black Star, who is also blind.

Understandable. Though I don't think I would let animal go through lifelike that no matter how much I can care for it. I have cared for a fewhandicapped bunnies that ive ventually had to put down. Not fun for me,and definately not a fun life for the bunny. Just sounds to me likesomething else is going on where the rabbits need a definate vet check.

If you'd see my girl, you wouldn't say that.She's happy and sweet, just needs a bit of extra help. Once she knowswhere things are she does fine, even running and digging and all thoseother happy rabbit things. I just get nervous leaving her with thosewho don't know. She can see light and shadow out of at least one eye,but very limited, so she can fall out of the cage when open. She adoresme and her brother Fenwick next door, who acts as her eyes and earsthrough the wire window divider.

Fenwick does NOT have pasteurella, but ongoing allergies. It's been a3-yr. battle. Certain things help, like low-dust hay, but sometimes thepollen is just bad. I am treating him for mites and keeping aneye on things.

Pam, I hear you--it's impossible to know!! Just wish there was some way I could have....:?

I hope no one thinks I'm regretting owningthese little ones, it's just venting.

Rose

Thanks Jan.:)

I'm hoping for rain to give Fen a bit of relief too. I'm going to tryoil for the ears, as I'd alwayspersonallyrather notgo the chemical route if I can avoid it. I did put powder on hisflanks, though. I've dealt with mites before, and the powder works, butI'd rather minimize his exposure to it. Mine too.

It's interesting that he scratches briefly right after a sneezing fit,though. I know my ears itch like mad in allergy season, as wellas the stuffy nose. And he doesn't show the signs of mites in the ears,and it tends to wax and wane with his allergy symptoms. Oh well. If itis mites the treatment should clear that right up.

Just thinking out loud.....

Rose

pamnock wrote:
Unfortunately, these problems can be a continual struggle with any purebred animal.

They are inbred to achieve certain characteristics in a strain, howevermany congenital health problems can also be inherited.

Any breed that carries the dwarfing gene (such as Hollands)isat even more risk because that gene itself is often associated withother health problems.

Hey Pam,

Can't remember if I've asked this before, but have you ever seen sinusproblems resulting from problems with drainage because of the Holland'sextreme "apple head"? He has the exaggerated flat Holland face, whilesis and mum are "mulies", and it reminds me of those pug dogs withsinus problems (snoring, wheezing, etc.).

Just a theory....both mom and I were hypothesizing about whether or notthat might play a part in his nose problems. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Rose

I think that it's simply been a bad year forrespiratory infections. I know many people who have lostrabbits this year and also many people who have been ill.

Also -- Thousands of greyhoundsin the EasternUShave beenquarantined due to adeadly respiratorydisease.

It's difficult to say whether a rabbit is suffering due to a virus or"allergies". Many viruses erode the sensitive tissues of therabbits nasal cavities, causing chronic problems as well as secondarybacterial infections.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Ithink that it's simply been a bad year for respiratoryinfections. I know many people who have lost rabbits thisyear and also many people who have been ill.

Also -- Thousands of greyhoundsin the EasternUShave beenquarantined due to adeadly respiratorydisease.

It's difficult to say whether a rabbit is suffering due to a virus or"allergies". Many viruses erode the sensitive tissues of therabbits nasal cavities, causing chronic problems as well as secondarybacterial infections.

Pam

Thanks as always, Pam. Good thing I'm not in the east US, just in caseit's something that crosses species. Allergies seemed most likelybecause common allergens trigger a stuffy nose rather quickly andobviously. I.e., new hay produces sneezing fits and a raw swollen nosealmost immediately. Removal of hay produces remarkable improvement. Drywindy days in pollen seasonmake for a snuffling Fenwick,while rainy days usually bring him a much clearer nose. Pellet dusttriggers more sneezing fits, usually immediately. A bite or two andA-csssh! Accchssss! Achsssh!

Also, I tend to be stuffy on the same days he is.;)Liketoday. Don't know what's in the air but it's been dry for awhile.

It's not just this year either--he's had it cyclically for about 3yrs., and so I started tracking possible triggers and patterns afterthe first year when I panicked about pasteurella.

Of course, there are always other possibilities, but over the years it seemed by far the most likely, anyway.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm always on the lookout for something to consider.

Rose

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
It's interesting that he scratches briefly right after asneezing fit, though. I know my ears itch like mad in allergyseason, as well as the stuffy nose. And he doesn't show the signs ofmites in the ears, and it tends to wax and wane with his allergysymptoms. Oh well. If it is mites the treatment should clear that rightup.

Just thinking out loud.....

Rose

Well, I know when our dog had problems with seasonal allergies, hisears would itch like mad too. It also affected his skin, made it dry,itchy, etc.

rabbitgirl wrote:
Pam, you constantly amaze me!! Is there anything that stumpsyou??:)Great links, thank you.

Rose
LOL I'm just throwing out some links todemonstrate the number of possibilities. Really doesn't helpmuch with your current problem, but it is interesting.

There are many times where we never find out the actual cause of ahealth problem -- even in people. When my oldest son wasapprox. 11 years old, he suddenly broke out inenormous hivesone day (he was in the house and hadn't been exposed to any obviousallergens). It happened a couple more times and he was putthrough extensive testing in an attempt to find the cause.Many diseases were ruled out, but the cause of the hives was neverdetermined and he is still on medication 12 years later.

Pam

m.e. wrote:
Well,I know when our dog had problems with seasonal allergies, his earswould itch like mad too. It also affected his skin, made it dry, itchy,etc.
That was my thought too! I hear of dogs with allergies all the time,and am starting to hear people suspect it in rabbits more also.....

pamnock wrote:
LOL I'm just throwing out some links todemonstrate the number of possibilities. Really doesn't helpmuch with your current problem, but it is interesting.

There are many times where we never find out the actual cause of ahealth problem -- even in people. When my oldest son wasapprox. 11 years old, he suddenly broke out inenormous hivesone day (he was in the house and hadn't been exposed to any obviousallergens). It happened a couple more times and he was putthrough extensive testing in an attempt to find the cause.Many diseases were ruled out, but the cause of the hives was neverdetermined and he is still on medication 12 years later.

Pam
I like to know possibilities--it always helps. And I know what you mean about untraceable reactions.

My brother got hives like that from strawberries. Talk about weird! Andhe doesn't anymore. I get hives from new carpeting. Isn't it amazinghow differently the human body reacts?

Rose

Latest posts

Back