Fenced in area

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xandrew245x

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I received a free rabbit from somebody, it came with a cage, food and bowls for his cage. We brought him home, and I had a medium sized dog fence which i set up around is cage to give him some extra room to run around in when were not home so hes not cramped up in a small pen all the time.

The problem is I have hardwood floors and he likes to make a mess with his hay, poop and water. I don't want all this over the hardwood floor, so we tried laying out multiple towels that was held down by his cage and the surrounding pen. This worked for a little, but ever time he would get a little rambunctious, the towels would get flung everywhere and defeated the purpose. I had the idea of getting a plastic drop cloth and laying it out, I pulled it tight and set everything in place, I made it so he wouldn't have anyway to chew on it. I thought I had it pretty well secured, but woke up this morning to to it all scrunched up, and he had chewed on it some, so that is instantly out of the question.

Does anybody have an idea of what I could lay down to keep the mess off the floor and that will stay in place?

what about a rubber mat?

What about a laminate floor that snaps together? I could buy a box or two and snap it together and make an area just for the cage and fence to sit on to contain the mess. The nice thing about laminate is it doesn't stain and is really easy to clean up, so it would be an and ideal use for it. I can get a box or two of it for under 50 dollars.

Rolled linoleum could be a good option. The trick is to be extra sure that the edges are beyond the perimeter of the fence so that bunny can't get to it and chew it. Depending on how long the linoleum stays down, it might also be a good idea to put down some type of cloth dropcloth between the lino and the wood floor just to protect the wood.

If you go with linoleum, look for one that has a non-slippery finish. Some are very slick, some have a little texture, but then there are some newer types that have good grip.

I believe one of the members on here has used rubber horse stall mats for flooring.

I've used tarps and also bought used big rugs from the thrift store to put down under the Xpens that I have for the buns I got that run around loose. The tarp I had to use hand weights in all the corners or else they will scruntch it all up and move it around. Also for the carpet at the end of the day or beginning of the next day you can shake it out into a trash bag or if you are in a house the back door or compost area. I do the same thing with my new bunnies Lady and Brooke. Brooke has a pen on the porch and that has heavy industrial rugs that I have out there that I can shake out in my backyard or in a trashbag.

For Lady, she is in the kitchen with the same type of floors that you are talking about. I also bought a large rubber mat and that worked as well. I like to change it up but honestly for me, I couldn't give a toss about the hardwood floors and YES I own the house. My house was built in 1933 so while the hardwood floors are 'nice' the actual wood and colors are crappy to me to previous individuals trying to stain it, buff it and strip them to other colors.. none of my colors are consistent from one room to another and it looks bad going from dark wood to blonde to medium... I have no idea what they previous owners were thinking and I've started putting down throw rugs from how darned cold it's been here.. one bad thing about hardwood floors.. they suck in really cold winters! I'm honestly thinking about going out today and finding the biggest darned floor rug I can find for the living room and kitchen because I'm tired of having cold feet and my dogs are now living literally beside the heating vents now that we've had that polar air come down from Canada.. I plan on putting some down in the hallway also.. it's way too cold in the mornings and first thing out of bed, my foot touching a cold wood floor has gotten a bit old! Maybe in summer I will feel different but with the cold snaps we have been having it's rug and carpet time for me. I know my husband is going to fuss but I don't care. I'm cold!

Vanessa

Office chair mats are another alternative. Try Craigslist :) And congrats on your new bunny!

thank you everyone for the good ideas, I am going to get some rolled linoleum to put down, hoping for the best with itl

I've used tarps and also bought used big rugs from the thrift store to put down under the Xpens that I have for the buns I got that run around loose. The tarp I had to use hand weights in all the corners or else they will scruntch it all up and move it around. Also for the carpet at the end of the day or beginning of the next day you can shake it out into a trash bag or if you are in a house the back door or compost area. I do the same thing with my new bunnies Lady and Brooke. Brooke has a pen on the porch and that has heavy industrial rugs that I have out there that I can shake out in my backyard or in a trashbag.

For Lady, she is in the kitchen with the same type of floors that you are talking about. I also bought a large rubber mat and that worked as well. I like to change it up but honestly for me, I couldn't give a toss about the hardwood floors and YES I own the house. My house was built in 1933 so while the hardwood floors are 'nice' the actual wood and colors are crappy to me to previous individuals trying to stain it, buff it and strip them to other colors.. none of my colors are consistent from one room to another and it looks bad going from dark wood to blonde to medium... I have no idea what they previous owners were thinking and I've started putting down throw rugs from how darned cold it's been here.. one bad thing about hardwood floors.. they suck in really cold winters! I'm honestly thinking about going out today and finding the biggest darned floor rug I can find for the living room and kitchen because I'm tired of having cold feet and my dogs are now living literally beside the heating vents now that we've had that polar air come down from Canada.. I plan on putting some down in the hallway also.. it's way too cold in the mornings and first thing out of bed, my foot touching a cold wood floor has gotten a bit old! Maybe in summer I will feel different but with the cold snaps we have been having it's rug and carpet time for me. I know my husband is going to fuss but I don't care. I'm cold!

Vanessa

Boy do I hear ya!!!! I HATE frozen toes!

I hope you check back and let us know how the linoleum is working out. I'm thinking on going that route as well.

Other than any type of flooring I would suggest you to use the carpets, so that its very easy to clean it with the help of the machines or else you can also give it to the serviceman to clean it on regular intervals of 15 days.
-----------
http://www.icustomfloor.com

Latest posts

Back