Female rabbit rejected one newborn and bit it's ear off! HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So how much times a day would i need to do something like this? I mean letting the baby drink mothers milk and how do i know that she has milk right now?
Wouldn't she get scared after treating her like this? I'm afraid she'd reject the litter because of stress?
I do this twice a day. She should have milk. And yeah, she probably wouldn't enjoy this. But if you want the baby to live and don't want to return it to the nest this what you'd have to do. Alternatively you could just put it back in the nest, would stress the dam out less.

I do this twice a day. She should have milk. And yeah, she probably wouldn't enjoy this. But if you want the baby to live and don't want to return it to the nest this what you'd have to do. Alternatively you could just put it back in the nest, would stress the dam out less.
What about rejecting whole litter after this? is that possible?

As far as i have read, it is unlikely. Why don't you just take the advice that's already given? Just put the kit back into the nest when momma's away resting, and go check on them once or twice a day and see if the kit has a full round belly like all the other littermates. There is really no good substitution to a momma's milk and caregiving. The kit should be fine after that.
Please stop asking such unnescessary questons when many, many people have given you advice with literally the same meaning- the kit will be better off with his momma and littermates.
Anyway, good luck with the kit.

What about rejecting whole litter after this? is that possible?

MY impression is more that the doe feeds to get rid of the milk, not so much because caring for the litter, so I guess it would be extremly unlikely. I had the problem once that a doe started to feed the wrong litter, I guess because it was closer, I put both litters in one nest then and they were fed by both does.

Well, ik what you guys are probably gonna say, but i need an answear. I feed him even a bit more that internet says and he stills looks like searching for a nipple, doesn't get this full, round belly even after feeding 2ml of milk at one feeding. Should i feed him more or change his milk to more caloric i mean like add yolk? He has 3 days.

You have received good answers already. The best answer is to put the kit back with it's siblings for mom to feed. As long as mom is feeding the kits and they have nice round bellies after eating, there's no reason to be hand feeding it.

You have received good answers already. The best answer is to put the kit back with it's siblings for mom to feed. As long as mom is feeding the kits and they have nice round bellies after eating, there's no reason to be hand feeding it.
My question was how to hand feed it in such case when he's such an eater and still doesn't have round belly.

My question was how to hand feed it in such case when he's such an eater and still doesn't have round belly.
As mentioned before, goats milk (with or without probiotics) isn’t a good supplement for rabbits milk, so he won’t get as full as if he would from his mum. Rabbits milk has more nutrients and is better for a rabbit than goats milk can ever be. I am not an experienced breeder, nor have I ever bred a rabbit, but you’ve had pretty good advice already. Is there a specific reason why you won’t take it into consideration or even try it out?

As mentioned before, goats milk (with or without probiotics) isn’t a good supplement for rabbits milk, so he won’t get as full as if he would from his mum. Rabbits milk has more nutrients and is better for a rabbit than goats milk can ever be. I am not an experienced breeder, nor have I ever bred a rabbit, but you’ve had pretty good advice already. Is there a specific reason why you won’t take it into consideration or even try it out?
Yeah, there is a specific reason - gramps who is the "main" owner tells me not to bother the rabbit mom so i can't take her out of hutch and let the small one nurse + if i was about to put him in the nest, she would probably eat him just like she wanted to in the beginning. So i'm askin once again - what do i do in my situation

Yeah, there is a specific reason - gramps who is the "main" owner tells me not to bother the rabbit mom so i can't take her out of hutch and let the small one nurse
I know that it is hard to act according to advice given by others if you have someone else who is ''technically'' the main owner. (I'm not the solo owner of my boys either) But if he's the only one who is telling you not to bother the mum, and at least FIVE OTHER PEOPLE have advised you to put the kit back with its momma and that they would be fine and best off with their littermates, then why is this ''gramps'' person stopping you from acting according to the advice given by other, more experienced rabbit folks? Say a couple words back to him, maybe show him this thread of people that have given you great advice, and if he doesn't speak english, translate it for him. It's exactly what i've done and it has helped me many times. I can't say for sure, but i am more than certain that the well-known folks over here are way more knowledgeable than your grandparent is.

if i was about to put him in the nest, she would probably eat him just like she wanted to in the beginning. So i'm askin once again - what do i do in my situation
You have been told multipe times now that the kit would fare best with their momma and if she isn't dead or anything, you shouldn't really be the one taking care of the kit. As mentioned before by other members, if you place the kit in the nesst when mum isn't looking, she will most likely just keep on doing what she's got going-caring for the kits. She wouldn't really single this one kit out, and she isn't going to eat the little kitling. She has other, more important things to do than consuming her young.
No matter what argument you bring up, the kit would still do best with their mum as no other thing or person is gonna be better than care and nutrition from their own mama.

I know that it is hard to act according to advice given by others if you have someone else who is ''technically'' the main owner. (I'm not the solo owner of my boys either) But if he's the only one who is telling you not to bother the mum, and at least FIVE OTHER PEOPLE have advised you to put the kit back with its momma and that they would be fine and best off with their littermates, then why is this ''gramps'' person stopping you from acting according to the advice given by other, more experienced rabbit folks? Say a couple words back to him, maybe show him this thread of people that have given you great advice, and if he doesn't speak english, translate it for him. It's exactly what i've done and it has helped me many times. I can't say for sure, but i am more than certain that the well-known folks over here are way more knowledgeable than your grandparent is.

You have been told multipe times now that the kit would fare best with their momma and if she isn't dead or anything, you shouldn't really be the one taking care of the kit. As mentioned before by other members, if you place the kit in the nesst when mum isn't looking, she will most likely just keep on doing what she's got going-caring for the kits. She wouldn't really single this one kit out, and she isn't going to eat the little kitling. She has other, more important things to do than consuming her young.
No matter what argument you bring up, the kit would still do best with their mum as no other thing or person is gonna be better than care and nutrition from their own mama.
I'll try. Grandpa had bred many rabbits in his life

So a question about nursing a the little one - which is better - to hold doe belly up and let the baby crawl on her and suck milk or to hold doe in place belly down just like she feeds kits naturally? On yt i see first option but isn't putting a rabbit on its back dangerous? I've heard some things about trance because they are play animals etc.

So a question about nursing a the little one - which is better - to hold doe belly up and let the baby crawl on her and suck milk or to hold doe in place belly down just like she feeds kits naturally? On yt i see first option but isn't putting a rabbit on its back dangerous? I've heard some things about trance because they are play animals etc.
He got some mom's milk. Doe is stressed, when she got back to hutch she went with her nose into the nest. He just sucked on her for maybe 2-3 minutes but maybe he was a bit full from the goat milk? When do i repeat this process again? Its 4:45PM in my timeline

I think he may've aspirated some milk a few hours ago, as he coughed a bit and made some clicking sounds. Now when i picked him up he made some clicking sound while opening and closing his mouth and suddenly stopped moving. After a minute he started moving a bit and idk what's wrong with him??? When i took a look and uncovered him he was moving a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back