Female bunny mounting our other female bunny??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have two female bunnies - they’re 3.5 months old now (one is 14 weeks and one is 15 weeks)… The slightly older one has just started mounting the other - she just started yesterday and she’s doing it Alllll the time. Should I separate them? They’re both female, so they can’t get pregnant, but it must be annoying for the other bunny. Why is she doing this? Anything I can do to make her stop?
Thanks!

Separate them if humping is excessive. Females typically dont get along. I have NEVER had two females get along.

Separate them if humping is excessive. Females typically dont get along. I have NEVER had two females get along.
Oh no! I got two females because I thought they’d keep each other company and I wouldn’t have to worry about one getting pregnant. They’ve gotten along well until yesterday when one started mounting the other. I hope I don’t have to separate them forever 😩

That was bad luck, a bad setup, or a too ambitious definition of getting along.
Yes, there are characters that don't get along, but imho in does that's rather rare.

I keep all my does in pairs, they are social animals after all. Does establish a hierachy, using several steps of escalalation - evil eye, humping, short bursts of chasing away, sometimes with tufts of fur flying, (up to this point it's ok, but it needs to be monitored), then come chases and fights.

Your girls just hit puberty, they will sort out their hierachy, humping is nothing bad per se but a completly normal behaviour. You need to keep an eye on how the other doe reacts, if she is submissive, or tries to retaliate.
An important thing is how their area is set up, there should be dividers and hidey places so that they can get out of each others sight if they feel like it, and there should be no dead ends.

You've got two perfectly normal rabbits there. I would definitly not seperate them. Getting both spayed might help with smooth sailing, seasonal hormone swings can make things more .... interesting...

Last edited:
Do keep a very close eye on them. That humping could irritate the other one and cause her to lash back in retaliation. It's possible they will begin fighting and if that fighting get serious, they will need to be separated.

Sometimes females will get along without being spayed. Spaying them typically increases their chances of bonding because those pesky hormones will no longer affect their behavior.

Back