Feeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candice136

Reaction score
I have heard from other people I know that they spend quite a lot of money on food for there rabbits but we don't we feed tommy a mug of rabbit pellets a day he sometimes leaves some in his dish and he has up to 5 little fruit shaped flavoured treats a day and very very often times he might have some apple but only a bit am I feeding tommy right or should he be having different types of vegetables a day

If he gets hay and pellets he is probably technically getting all the nutrients he needs in his diet. I'm not sure on the treats, if they're high in sugar you could probably replace them with some small serves of greens instead. He would still consider that a treat :)

The treats are called fruity shapes they don't say anything about sugar on the back it says fat 5% and the other different ingredients in them yes he has hay how often should I be feeding him hay

You can give him hay so that he has it available all day and can choose to eat it whenever he wants. I usually give Bandit a big handful in the morning and then have to give him another big handful or two throughout the day just to keep it topped up. Plus he prefers the "fresh" stuff, even though it's all the same.

Some good greens to start with include a variety of herbs like coriander/cilantro, basil, mint and parsley. You can also give lettuce as long as you don't feed iceberg, many people feed romaine/cos lettuce or the "salad" variety with the darker leaves. Then there's things like bok choy, silverbeet, celery, broccoli etc. If introducing greens, do it slowly and one at a time to avoid tummy upsets. :)

Hello im new to the forum but have kept rabbits for 16 yrd all of mine get a small handful if pellets once a day then as , much hay as they can eat , they get greens too, a handfil a day, not too much as ine of mine gets yucky poops with too many greens, hay is much better for them than pellets and i have previously had buns on a hay only diet as their stomaches couldnt cope with pellets

Yes, hay is essential. It is the bulk of my rabbits' diets. They should be eating the equivalent of their body size in hay everyday. So it is available 24/7, unlimited and refreshed at least twice a day.

Latest posts

Back