Feeding...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparrow

Reaction score
I'm feeding Sweet Meadow Farm rabbit pellets with SMF 1st cut timothy. I also bought a bag of Kaytees bermuda grass that I'm mixing in with the timothy. Perhaps it's just because he's a little bunny, but it just doesn't seem like he's eating that much of the hay (I've seen him eat some of it, though).
I don't know the difference between 1st cut and any other cut :)?) but that was all that the store sold from the SMF brand (am I wrong in thinking they're better than kaytee?). Kaytee brand was just selling "timothy"... I didn't see any specification as to what cut.

I also have given him kale every day, which he loves and has done good with, and just last night gave him some romaine.

What do you guys recommend? He's about 10 weeks old.

If he is only 10 weeks old he should be eating alfalfa hay ; you can offer the other kinds but young bun needs alfalfa for growth.
When he get older he may still prefer a softer hay like 2nd or 3d cut. The lst cut of the season is often coarser and some buns like it but many don't...

be careful feeding greens ; he is a little too young

I think that kaytee sells alfalfa in small bags; open the bag and try to sniff the hay to make sure it smellls good.

Agree with Maureen. The 1st cut is a little drier, harder and I personally think the smell is not as fresh and lush as 2nd cut timothy. My bun would eat it but he'd rather eat pellets and salad.After I switched to 2nd cut, he has been filling up on hay and eat pellets if it happens to be there when he wakes up from a nap.

If it doesn't say what cut, you can usually tell the difference by how green and how grassy the timothy hay looks. First cut has more fuzzy tips and hard stems while 2nd cut has more green "blades" like the blades of grass I think.

This link has a real nice pic of what a delicious soft 2nd or 3rd cut would look like. I think a lot of members also order from the bunnybale because of the quality and price advantage. http://www.bunnybale.com/TimothyHayView.html

Thanks alot guys! :) I bought a bag of alfalfa this afternoon and he does seem a bit more interested in it.

If his poop is remaining fine, is it still too early for greens? I'll hold off for a little while if that's the case... I've only been giving a small handful in the evening (I was afraid that too much would upset his tummy).

he could do OK with greens but at that age but it could have a negative effect on the good bacteria ii his gut which is fragile; it would be better to wait a few months to be on the safe side and just feed alfalfa and other hays and pellets.

At this point, he's probably getting as many alfalfa-based pellets as he will eat, right? At his age, he should be. When you eventually start cutting back on pellets, he may eat more hay. I wouldn't worry about it now.

Latest posts

Back