Feeding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bummblebee

Reaction score
I have a minirex/lionhead mix he probably isnt anymore than 4-5 lbs he was born Sept 28,2009 I have been feeding him in the morning I feel his feeder up and thats it he also gets some veggi this morning it was cilantro.

Always has unlimited hay

So should I not give him anymore in the evening? Even if he finishes his food before then.

In short do u just feed once a day?

What about for a nursing mother whos kits are 1 day old how should she be fed?

You should start to reduce the amount you feed him. An adult rabbit doesn't really need more than 1/4 cup per 5 pounds of body weight per day. I would assume that by filling his feeder, you are not measuring the amount and he can just eat as much as he wants. I would get a bowl for the pellets. Start by giving 1/2 cup per day, either in 1 or 2 feedings. If he eats all of it, that is all he gets. Over a month or so, gradually cut him back to about 1/4 cup per day. Depending on what else you feed and if he maintains his weight well, you might need to give less that 1/4 cup per day.

How often you give pellets is up to you. I feed my rabbits pellets twice a day. Some rabbits might do better getting pellets twice a day. If you do only give pellets once a day, then you cannot give more if he eats them all.

I don't really know much about feeding nursing does. I think that you should not limit her as she needs the extra food to produce enough milk.

Thanx yes I think Im overfeeding my little yankee I thought I was being good to him by making sure he always had food but I see know thats the wrong way to look at it.
So 1/4 cup and thats it all day for pellets basicly is what the rule is.

Now for my nursing Freckles is there something extra she would need in her diet please let me know if theres something special that would help her with milk and recovery and energy

Latest posts

Back