Feeding habits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
ok so i have to explain this for my question to come out right.

I take the aproach with my dogs that if your not going to eat dinner then it will get pulled after 15 minutes and you get another chance next meal time.

So this questions go in the sense of that dogs wont starve them selves they will eat anything you put in front of them if your pasient.

With cats they will not eat and starve them selves if you take that aproach.

Now with bunnys if they don't seem to like a food. Will they eat if thats the only thing you give them at some point. Or will they not. I know they get hay but if you cant feed vegys. And all they get is pellets and hays will they eat the pellets. If they dont seem to like them.

If this question seems weird I know it is. I just wondered

Its important for rabbits to eat their hay first and foremost. SO your pellets are like a back up to make sure they are getting everything they need. You should never feed to many pellets,as rabbits are very greedy and very sweet toothed! also they get fat on them very quickly if they get to much.

I would say from what you said in your post I would think they are more like dogs you always want them to be looking for their pellets. you also want them to clear the bowl every day :) it also makes it easier to know when they are not feeling well

Well, mine is more like a cat then. :)
She does NOT like hay, and by golly, she is NOT going to eat that stuff! :D
She also only likes ONE brand of pellets, and THAT brand only. She won't touch the others. LOL

Good thing she loves to eat a lot of greens!

one day i couldnt get the bunnies normal brand of pellet so put in a substitute. one nibble later and the dish was kicked out of the hutch. for three days those bunnies wouldnt touch one pellet - i know i counted them! - and each time the dish was kicked out of the hutch. in the end i got their regular brand and mixed it in with the new one. the new ones were slightly smaller and were not touched. the regular brand ones were picked out and eaten. my non-bunny friends think i make this stuff up! perhaps i will direct them here:D

am also reluctant to change their brand of hay in case i get the same reaction...LOL

Back