Feeding and holding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badwolf12345

Reaction score
I use to have a wild rabbit called flopsy he use to let me pick him up all the time and was really calm, but my rabbits now kick when i pick them up, is this because they aren't use to me yet?

Also flopsy never ate pellets or hay is the diet for wild rabbits diferent to domestic rabbits?

A wild rabbit named flopsy did he have lop ears? Others may have more to offer on the whole bonding process with your bun but it is best to let him come to you and not force him to stay with you or and most rabbits don't like to be held anyway, rabbits are prey animals and to them being held by a giant creature is pretty scary. Yes, wild rabbits do have a different diet than domesticated ones. Some house rabbits don't eat pellets they only eat veggies and hay. Hay is very important in a bunny's diet. Due to expenses, my buns eat pellets and hay and only veggies when I can afford it. But I make sure that they only get limited amounts so they don't get overweight. You were the one that posted about the Holland lops right? The ones that were 10 weeks old? If so they can get unlimited pellets until they are 6 months old, all bunnies need unlimited hay and should eat the amount of hay that is equal to their body size every day. Veggies should be introduced one at a time and in small amounts at first to avoid any gastric upsets.

You must first earn your rabbits trust before you can learn make them get used of being picked up. It takes time bonding with them and if they are kits don’t pick them up so often or force yourself on them. You might get a scared and insecure rabbit.

So start building your trust and bond with your rabbits. It’s important to learn their body language and what they like and dislikes while socializing and training them to become safe individuals.

The diet it’s different for a domestic rabbit and wild. A domestic rabbit would never survive out in the wild.

If you have gluttony for rabbits never give them unlimited pellets if they are kits, but you can increase the amount or give the same amount you would give them as adults. I now this quite well because I have 2 gluttons.

The diet is basicly the same in the wild, domestic rabbits survive in the wild pretty good if predators don't get them. Grass, weeds and whatever they find is all they need.

There are differences though, mostly for convinience of the owners. Hay doesn't exist in the wild, but it it is needed here to feed rabbits (and other domestic animals) through winter, and it has some additional merits besids being good food, easy storage and all year availability, for example it's safer than fresh forage considering some diseases in contaminated regions.
Pellets and veggies are convienient pet and livestock feed too, and since rabbits can thrive on a variety of diets "natural" doesn't necessarily mean healthier than others as long as some thought is put into it.
It depends on what they get used to.

What, and how much you feed kits depends on your goals, if getting them to butchering weight asap a free fed protein rich diet might get best results (after starting with whatever the doe eats), if fastest growth isn't your prime concern it doesn't matter that much. I wouldn't aim for fastest growth with pet rabbits.

Most rabbits don't like being picked up, there can be a selective bred in tendency to accept it better or at least to get used to it , but mostly it's up to the individual character. That a "wild" rabbit was ok with it is remarkable, what continent are you living on?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back