Fat Bunny Anonymous

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes its true. Time to come clean,Fraggles is fat. I know, its shocking and hard to believe. Feel free to gasp in horror. She is very fat with a large dewlap that is three times the size of her litter mate sisters. She is also getting a roll around her middle. She spends most of her time munching and laying around. I got some advice to try to make her more active. But all I got was thumped at, foot flicked and she dove into her cage. Then she boxed my hand for trying to pet her. She gets orchard grass and a half cup of spring mix everyday. No pellets and no treats except a few craisons. She does not even get any fruit except on rare occasions. So yes a very fat bunny. Any advice or would you like to share your fat bunny problem?

How old is she?
Does she have the opportunity to interact with other buns?
If not, try a cat tickler toy (one of the things on the string. It drives my bun nuts, and he spends a lot of time charging it.
Have you tried playing fetch with her (bottom of a paper coffee cup)?
How much space does she have to move in?
Can you go outside with her?

Wild rabbits get lots of exercise because they have to move around all day to find food and get between their warren, latrine and the best eating spots. If you want to encourage a pet rabbit to exercise, mimicing that is the easiest way. Put the areas they use (litter tray, food bowl, water bowl, bed) as far apart as possible. Put food in several different areas and even better (if you don't mind the mess) scatter it over the floor.

i too have a fat rabbit! her dewlap is like a life preserver around her neck and she has a "dust ruffle" around her bum. she is a free range rabbit who only gets put in her cage at nite while i am sleeping. her favorite thing to do (besides eating) is laying around under the kitchen table all day. i do take her outside weather permitting and she will bunny 500 and binky while she's out there, she remains "well nurished". she and wally (who is Not fat) get unlimited timothy hay and about a third of a cup of pellets in the am and pm and between the two of them about a cup each of greens in the evening. by the way miss willow is a standard rex and wally a nethie lop. part of the problem my way is the SHE will eat her food and if poor wally is not fast enough she will eat his too! :X if i put willow on a diet poor wally suffers too:sad:

Thanks for the great advice. I am going to try the cat toy idea. I tried a toilet paper roll but she ATE part of it and the vet said she should not have it anymore. I will split up her food and water also. Her potty is a corner in her cage. She never took to a litter box although I did try. But she never has a accident, I leave her cage door open and she runs back there to potty in her corner. To answer the questions, No other bunnies because she hates other bunnies. We are talking violence here. She does not like the outdoors, she flattens herself and does not move. Jubjub thank you for sharing your fat bunny problem its nice to hear I am not alone. Poor Wally having to live with such a piggy. Fraggles spends her time under the coffee table all stretched out. So I know how you feel.

I am working on a fat bunny problem. Cinderella is a 4 year old pointed satain. She is bonded to a 1 year old angora, Houdini. He is rather on the skinny side at 5 pounds and you can still feel bone, but I think he is still growing a little. She came to me at 7 pounds! She spent her life in a shelter so the exercise was very limited.

Now Cindi is down to 5.5 with a bit to go. She has free roam in a room so her exercise has increased a lot. To get around the food issue I started to feed Houdini oats while I brush him. That way he gets more intense nutrition he needs to finish growing and the wool production without her feeling deprived. Together they get 1/4 cup pellets, unlimited timothy hay, treats of orchard grass, and 2 cups greens per day.

Thanks for the cat toy idea, I'm going to try that. The buns already love to steal the cat's jingle bell balls.

:( Don't worry I too have a very fat rabbit. He is a 18 month old neutered male giant french lop . Weighs a mere 15.5 pounds. Every time I take him to have his nails done at the vets all the girls gasp in awe at his size. He gets lots and lots of exercise as he has full access to a bunny yard that is 20'x 40' and 2 stories including stairs of our house. The yard is fully fenced on all sides and the roof as we have hawks and eagles around here although I'm sure it would take 4 of them and a come a long to haul him off ( sorry Benjamin ). He loves his food and when you don't feed him he makes his way into the kitchen and sits there as if to say hey hurry the heck up. Being neutered has a tendency to make male bunnies a wee bit heavy but very, very affectionate. He is one big adorable baby.

Ben is not only big but huge. He is over 3 feet long when stretched out. Think in a past life he may have been a St Bernard. Same type of disposition. Last french lop we had was big around 13 pounds and hated kids. This guy loves everyone, especially if you have a cracker, banana or whatever in your hand. Last week he got left at home on his own for a few hours and decided he was bored. Guess he couldn't find a snack he likes so he ate a whole in my armchair upstairs.:? Been a long time since the baby chewing stage that he has done that.

We haven't tried Benjamin around other rabbits.Nickolas our last french lop hated other rabbits and tackled my daughter mini rex, both ended up with ripped ears so we haven't taken the chance letting Benjamin around other rabbits. He tolerates my mom's dog but hated my grandson's cat. The cat when he was a baby though Ben looked like a good ride, hopped on his back and hung on to his ears. Needless to say Benjamin is not particular about other animals. 14 pounds at 10 months. Wow - what breed is she? Her marking are alot like Benjamins, just the ears point in the other direction.

[align=center]I'm surprised my buns aren't fat. They are lazy and just eat a ton of pellets and hay. And they get a large amount of veggies at night. They should be fat. But they're not XD

I have no advice that hasn't been said yet.. so good luck =D

Hey, our rabbits aren't fat! It's just...extra skin! :p

I have a fat bunny, too! He came overweight, as his previous owner didn't have the time to spend with him, so he just ate, and got fat. I'm going to set up some homemade jumps, and see if he'll use them. I figured that would be something fun for us to do together! He has a big roll under his armpits *cough* moobs *cough* :p

They aren't fat, they are FLUFFY!

I think Cindi was embaressed when I had to shave her butt. It just wasn't staying clean, I had to do something. Ironically she is my climber. Loves to get on top of the desk, the chair, bird cages. Anywhere she can hop up, she will.

LOL moobs!

Benjamin is currently stretched out in his run surrounded by clover, dandelions and sweet grass. "Nice try mom, if you think you are putting me on a diet" come to think of it, kind of my attitude when someone mentions my weight. Sorry Bennie.

Hi i'm sitting here at work having a good laugh at the way all of you are describing these poor bunnies.

They are not fat, maybe pleasantly plump. They are all so cute.

I keep saying my Daisy Mae has quite the big bum, she's got a little wiggle when she is hopping.:bunnybutt:

Alma I'd love to see a picture of Benjamin. One day I want a French Lop.

Susan:)

Latest posts

Back