Explain how this was possible...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ainsleys_mommy

Reaction score
I have a 4' x 4' playpen that is 3' tall. Explain to me how Pandora was able to escape. The "front door" was still latched. I woke up and was cleaning out my ferret's cage, and I turned around and she's running around with my Lab running loose in the room with her... You know, my Lab that eats rabbits out in the yard.... And they were nose to nose! My heart seriously stopped beating, but thank goodness Angel was a good girl this time. Now I'm afraid to keep her in that cage because I have no idea how she got out. My Lab could've eaten her at any time, because when I was asleep, I had my bedroom door opened into the animal room. That was so nerve-wracking.

If it's a playpen and has no top, it is very possible she climbed up on the bars or on a toy and the jumped. If it has a top, then one of the panels probably got loose. You could always try putting mesh on the top or make a NIC cage? I made a NIC cage in the past that had a removable top so it was also a pen.

Very relieved to hear that no one was injured :)

wow this is one of my own nightmares that i hope never happens..i have pitbulls but they arent in the house when buns are out of cages,,and i have enclosed cages cuz they find a way to vault over the fences..and once they get out there is no stopping their obsession on getting out again..and again..and again..im glad that everything turned out ok wowza i wuda had a heartattack seeing the 2 face to face......i know some people that dont wanna put their buns in cages ..at night they put a fitted sheet over their bunny pen...depending on the size most twin fitted sheets will snuggly wrap around the top for u..and bun wont try to get thru something she sees as solid...whatever u end up using u prob should do it quick cuz she will be out and exploring again before u know it...

Is it possible that the dog or rabbit lifted up the pen slightly? Rabbits can fit through tiny spaces under pens. Thank god she was ok! I had one of my rabbits escape one night and run around the yard with my cats after him, but luckily he hopped back into his hutch!

We had three that would climb over the playpen or any wire enclosure, but not if we were right there. Had to be sneaky to catch them in the act. You'd also be suprised to see what they can squeeze through.

You have a rabbit in an open top pen in a room with a rabbit eating dog? I think you've probably had enough of a shock I don't need to reinforce the issues with that.

3' is nothing to most rabbits, plus as soon as you add toys and boxes they provide jumping platforms that make it even easier to get out. You also need to keep in mind just because a rabbit doesn't jump out doesn't mean they can't. When a rabbit panics they will attempt things they wouldn't normally so squeeze through a tight gap or jump a barrier. My bun did this the other day, panicked over nothing and jumped a 4' stairgate to escape.

If your rabbit 'escaping' would put him in danger you need to make the pen completely secure. That means no way at all to get out.

maybe you can get some C&C panels, zip tie them together in the shape of the pen and tip tie it to the top of the pen so it now has a top on it ... just an idea

I have some extra choroplast and cardboard I can put on top. I've kept bunnies in this cage for almost a year and they've NEVER escaped. Pandora is the biggest bunny I've ever had in there, so maybe that had something to do with it. I believe she escaped to have a closer look at Johnnie. Maybe it's time to officially introduce the two girls? I can get info about that I'm sure on one of the threads or rabbit.org, right? I think she's lifting it from the bottom. Any suggestions on how to anchor it?

Also, I never allow that dog to be in my rabbit room. My parents are responsible for not shutting the doors like they should've been when they let Angel down. They thought I was still awake.

Yeppers, Pandora can do 3 ft., no problem. Most buns can, given enough reason to try it :p

I like the idea of a coroplast lid for when you aren't around.

You could anchor the base by putting bricks around the pen perimeter, maybe?

Is it possible to cut a piece of coroplast the size of your playpen, then punch single holes with a hole puncher every inch or so and then secure the wire pen to the coroplast with zip ties?

HerbyBear wrote:
Is it possible to cut a piece of coroplast the size of your playpen, then punch single holes with a hole puncher every inch or so and then secure the wire pen to the coroplast with zip ties?
You mean as a base? I had a base on there and they were starting to eat it, so I removed it. I didn't want a blockage.

Ainsleys_mommy wrote:
HerbyBear wrote:
You mean as a base? I had a base on there and they were starting to eat it, so I removed it. I didn't want a blockage.
Yeah that is what I meant. And if they will eat it then that is probably a bad idea. At the moment that was my only suggestion to try and keep your bunny from escaping beneath the playpen. :?

i would be shocked if they were getting out by lifting the pen....seriously i dont think so..its not normal for a bunny to do this, but it is norm for a bunny to "hop"
everyone of my buns can jump over my 3ft tall excercise pen..everyone of em..some of em can even do it... backwards.... .while filing their nails.:nod:

So, Pandora got loose again and it took me over an hour to find her. Definitely got out by lifting the bottom. Her nose is all bloody from the effort. So I put Johnnie in that cage and put Pandora in Johnnie's cube cage. I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before she realizes she can chew the zip ties and get out though. Not even 3 hours after I put Johnnie in the playpen, she got out. I still have the top covered. I KNOW a Polish bunny can't lift something that heavy. I'm at a loss. I have no clue how she got out.

r u sure the wound on the nose isnt from Johnnie?...first place a bun will go when shes out is to visit the neighbors...im thinkin she wasnt invited in for tea and cookies..:)

HAHAHA! I just choked and I had nothing in my mouth, so go figure! It looks more like a rub wound than a nip wound, but I could be wrong. I'm starting to think I have no clue anymore hahaha. I'm considering going ahead and starting the intros. If I can get all four of them to get along, I'll just rabbit proof that room and they can be free range.

Latest posts

Back