expensive buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuoxif

Reaction score
hi all, my friend recently bought a new bun and he's adorable. I have seen very expensive bunnies and I knows prices are usually based on quality, show, pet, etc. the bunny my friend bought was 120$ and its not even a pure bred, its a mix between a pure holland and a pure DM lion head. although I know they can be expensive, I was curious as to is this price too much for a mix?
edit: she didn't get the mix, chose a pure holland last minute, same price tho.

Last edited:
Someone was dumb enough for pay that for a mix so its kinda not the breeders fault for asking that much if people keep paying it.
Your right price should be based on those qualities. And prospective buyers should do their research before they go purchase an animal.

I've seen some rabbit rescues charge prices that high or higher for mixed breeds. They may justify it by the cost of spay or neuter plus any vet and care costs they've already invested in a rabbit.

I was shocked when she told me the price. but she said all the other breeders that took proper care of their rabbits, putting in the time and care, weren't within her driving range :/ she also didn't want to have the rabbit shipped. from what she told me (she told me a lot lol), all the rabbits were housed inside the home so the temp could be regulated and properly sheltered from the weather, the breeder also kept records of all the rabbits and the ancestors, as well as allowing each rabbit would have time to come out and play. I don't know if all of this had an affect on the price or not.

curious, what was the most expensive pet rabbit you owned/seen?

Last edited:
so my friend sent me a pic of the bunny and it turned out she didn't buy the mix. last minute she chose a pure holland from another litter. the price was the same, to me I still think thats a very high price, even for a purebred.

Considered the overall cost of a well cared for pet even that rabbit is cheap. I mean, it's just 120$, that's just one vet visit. If someone wants that rabbit bad enough and can afford it, so what, I even think people are happier when they can pay more because it gives them the feeling of "value", and there actually really can be a difference, it's kind of a service to offer a more expensive line of whatever ;)
I confess I'm not completly immune to that marketing strategy, although normally I aim for the cheapest stuff I can get my air rifle did cost more than my car :D

Anyway, I wonder what a fair price is, responsible breeding for health and improving the rabbits is not the same as multiplying them, and I would think it's ok when a breeder makes profit with it and does not need to pour money and workforce into that project without revenue. When he can find customers everyone is happy.

There are still enough 15€rabbits out there for those who wouldn't pay that sum, that's what I charge, but my rabbitry is just a hobby and doesn't need to pay for itself.

Last edited:
Considered the overall cost of a well cared for pet even that rabbit is cheap.

This is exactly how I view it, but I don't know anything about breeding, purebreds, or that high-end stuff.

When I was researching how much a pair of house rabbits would cost over their lifetime, I found the RSPCA broke it down pretty well. Even adjusting for the cheaper hay stateside, it still works out to well over $10k.

Anecdote: My first adoption was around $60, and he came neutered. The second was discounted to around $20 because I got her within a month of the first (also spayed). If their prices had been doubled or halved, I wouldn't have bat an eye either way.

When we were breeding and showing rabbits it wasn’t unusual to pay $120 for a quality purebred, bought from another breeder. Price is relative, though, depending on the breed. I find it hard to imagine paying that much for a mixed breed pet rabbit.

My daughter's purebred Lilac we just got from another FFA member was $65 and that included her tattoo, nail clipping, and papers. We are really new to rabbits and showing so I thought this was fair, especially to support another teen starting her rabbitry.

Latest posts

Back