Excessive shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
Is shedding a sign of nervousness in rabbits. Are there any other health related problems possible if a rabbit tends to shed a lot?

The new girl here (hotot) is shedding quite a bit, but she is also extremely nervous and unused to being handled.

It could be a combination of stress...and the fact that it's sort of "molting season" at the moment. Erik, for instance, is molting. Yes, they do sometimes begin to shed a lot when stressed, but it could possibly be a combination.

I would just try to brush her everyday, if it doesn't stress her out too much. She will eventually quit shedding and have her "winter coat".

I would just watch out for any other signs of sickness and not worry about her fur. It will grow back.

Some rabbits get downright bald during this time, it's kind of funny.

Bo does not think his bald butt is funny! It's kinda cold at night! :X

All my whites are starting to shed a lot right now... they do respond to shorter days and approaching change in seasons (even indoors). But stress can be a factor. (Add in brushing and not likeing being handled... could be a problem.)

Is there any "dandruff" n the fur? Since she is going in for her wellness check up today, have her checked for mites.

Latest posts

Back