Excessive humping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jac

Reaction score
Firstly I'm not sure I should be posting this here but I'm new and need help, just recently my lovely Rooney who was neuterd about 2 years ago has been chasing and humping his spayed partner Polly, this excessive 24/7, he has never done this before and nothing in his routine has changed, but he will not leave Polly alone, he chases her and thinks just before mounting, he will hump her sideways front and backwards, he has no preference.. Polly was spayed about 9 months ago, she is a lovely rabbit so placid and happy going, but now she has started to hide away for a bit of peace, I have separated them today just for a whe to give Polly a rest, they can still see and smell each other, but cannot touch. I have asked the Rabbit Welfare Associatio , they said take both rabbits to the vets as one may be I'll, I rang the vets but they are only open for emergencies due to coronovirus, I'm awaiting a phone call. Can any shed any light on Roo eyes behaviour, I'm really worried it could be adrenal gland disease or kidney disease.. please can anyone help.

Hi, I've never heard that humping could be related to kidney or other disease that's interesting I will watch this thread to see if anyone had any experience with that.

I have a few pairs where one of partners is neutered and in one pair my intact male started spraying his fixed female again, they are together since January and first 4 weeks he was humping and spraying all around, but he's not neutered. I built her a few hides so only one rabbit can fit in there so she always can have some peace. After first 4 weeks he just stopped spraying/humping and it was very nice they are best friends etc. Then last week it started again, he was chasing her and humping and spraying walls again, was just a few days and since she had her hides I didn't intervene he just stopped after a couple days and that was it.

My other pair is neutered male and intact female, they are both 8 months old now. Female suddenly started humping him last week he didn't like it but they are very bonded and she grooms him a lot so there were no fights, she stopped after a few days as well.

So I thought it could be just seasonal because of springtime and all, I also wanted to separate them but didn't want to break their bond honestly, I am happy they are back to normal.

I know your rabbits are both fixed and quite long time ago so they shouldn't do it, I have no idea why but hopefully he will stop that after a few days, meanwhile you could also build something like small shelves where he can't follow her so she can always have her own space if it's getting bad.

I will listen what other members advise it's really interesting. Hope your rabbits will go back to normal soon.

Hi, thanks for the advice, Rooney has been chasing and humping for three weeks now, I was hoping it would subside, but seems unlikely, they do have hiding places, but Rooney is a lot smaller and will squeeze in next to her, if only her side or head are on show he hump whatever part of her he can access. He just clings on to her, he has also started to be very clingy and if not humping her he licks her to death. I have separated them now for a while, just to give Polly a rest and a chance to eat. Still awaiting call from vet, but I dont think they know much about rabbits..
Hi, I've never heard that humping could be related to kidney or other disease that's interesting I will watch this thread to see if anyone had any experience with that.

I have a few pairs where one of partners is neutered and in one pair my intact male started spraying his fixed female again, they are together since January and first 4 weeks he was humping and spraying all around, but he's not neutered. I built her a few hides so only one rabbit can fit in there so she always can have some peace. After first 4 weeks he just stopped spraying/humping and it was very nice they are best friends etc. Then last week it started again, he was chasing her and humping and spraying walls again, was just a few days and since she had her hides I didn't intervene he just stopped after a couple days and that was it.

My other pair is neutered male and intact female, they are both 8 months old now. Female suddenly started humping him last week he didn't like it but they are very bonded and she grooms him a lot so there were no fights, she stopped after a few days as well.

So I thought it could be just seasonal because of springtime and all, I also wanted to separate them but didn't want to break their bond honestly, I am happy they are back to normal.

I know your rabbits are both fixed and quite long time ago so they shouldn't do it, I have no idea why but hopefully he will stop that after a few days, meanwhile you could also build something like small shelves where he can't follow her so she can always have her own space if it's getting bad.

I will listen what other members advise it's really interesting. Hope your rabbits will go back to normal soon.

Poor bunny he's just in love :)) We have some very knowledgeable members on this site hopefully you will get some advice. I agree if your vets have no experience with rabbits it's better don't start with them at all, unless you have a good idea about what's going on with your rabbit and only need prescription from them. Good luck anyway I think you did best you could in your situation and if they are still staying close to each other they will stay bonded just having a little break now.

Latest posts

Back