Excess cecals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
Gizmo has been having excess cecals the past few days, he gets 1/2 cup pellets in the morning and 1/2 cup at night, unlimited timothy hay; I gave him a slice of apple a few days ago, but it is persisting way beyond what it should for having the apple that many days ago. I have thought about cutting the pellets to just 1/4 cup at night, his appetite is just fine and he is pooping normal poops and he has maintained that throughout, just at a loss trying to figure out what i should cut out, I know that too much sugar, or too much protein can cause this, I also wondered about his hay, its not strictly timothy its called ( Western Timothy) its got a mixture. Help:?:thanks:

How old is he and how big? 1 cup of pellets is a lot for a rabbit. My giant angora (about 10 pounds) only gets 1/2 cup per day. The general rule for adult rabbits is 1/4 cup per 5 pounds of body weight per day.
Apple and other fruits should be limited to small amounts and not very often. Veggies are much better and can be given on a daily basis in larger amounts.
Hay usually isn't an issue unless the bun has issues with calcium and has lots of alfalfa hay. Western Timothy is still timothy. The western part is mostly where it is grown. Any grass hay is fine for rabbits, this includes timothy, bhrome, orchard grass and oat hay. Meadow grass is also suitable.

Gizmo is 4 pounds, so 1/4cup a day for him then? I don't give him any alfalfa, if i do its as a treat and its only a handful. Thanks guys, that helps :p

1/4th would probably be a better amount for him. You can gradually reduce is food until he is at that amount.

Gizmo should start eating more hay as the pellets are reduced. You can give him several different types of hay to give him more variety in is diet.

-Dawn

My bunny is having on again off again cecal issues. Some times he eats them sometimes he doesn't!!! I think probios help though, he seems to do pretty well for a few days ater I give him that. Also he get's about 1/4 cup pellets a day, and then free choice tim/oat and botanical hay (vet said that variety was good for his teeth) Anybody else have ideas for the cecal problems? btw when I got him (about a month ago) he had been on a pellet only diet his WHOLE life (2 years) and overweight, so I figured this would take some time...

It never hurts to have a fecal sample tested. Our dwarf had issues for awhile with pinworms and coccidia. While that was going on, I would always find cecotropes in his litter box. Now that it has cleared up, I haven't seen any in weeks. I don't know if there is a correlation, but it never hurts to have the fecals tested.

Good luck!

Bobby V

Latest posts

Back