Ever hear of an apartment NOT allowing bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The current place I'm living at allows "small caged animals". Well, it's close enough. They don't have to know that the buns are out and about most of the time. :p The place I might be living at next year will allow it if I pay an extra deposit. I talked it over with the owners, explaining how I keep the rabbits in an exercise pen and any time outside is supervised.

I have heard of a place though before when I was looking for apartments (before I had my buns) that adamantly did not allow rabbits. They allowed guinea pigs, cats, rats, most other animals but not rabbits. I asked why not out of curiosity and the lady had an angry tirade about how rabbits were basically the worst animals ever. Apparently she had a very bad tenant whose rabbit peed, chewed on the walls, and ripped up all the carpet. She ended up taking the person to court because of the damages.

Wow. Way to take it out on an entire species because of one bad pet owner. :shock:

Incidentally, the first month we had Gus, he chewed up the baseboard and some of the drywall in the bathroom where his cage is. Guess what I'll be fixing/replacing when we move out? Don't want to give the bun buns a bad name after all! ;)

Rue

I agree with posts above saying that, when someone wants a pet, they'll do whatever it takes and they'll be able to keep him/her. I think maybe that person didn't want the bunnies that much and was making up excuses. Out of the example given by Helenor, I had never heard of a place where people can have cats but not rabbits. Those cute bunnies deserve a better owner for sure, someone who'll love them a lot.

We are allowed 2 Cats only, we have 3 and a Bunny ;)
In all honesty the landlords are kind of jerks in some ways but they like animals and I know someone in the apartment has 4 cats. And everytime they do there yearly house inspection they give like 3 days notice, we think its because they dont want to know how many pets are actually in there.

I have a house inspection tomorrow!

We're allowed pets, but I am still nervous.
Since there are 2 dogs, a cat, a bunny, a couple fish tanks... and two snakes.

We're probably going to hide the snakes to save trouble though, since NO apartment really wants snakes there. :p

I'm hoping they won't even notice Harley.

I've lived in places that won't allow rabbits, rats, etc because they have a reputation for chewing, but allow dogs/cats/birds. Though, birds have a bad habit of chewing and can reach more places... but people think of them as cage-only animals (ha!)

I always check with landlords before I get pets though, to make sure they are OK with it. Would hate to have to move (certainly wouldn't be giving up MY pets) because a landlord found out I had a pet. :(

I'm not sure if my apartment allows rabbits. I do know we are allowed dogs and cats, but not sure about "caged" pets, reptiles, or fish tanks. I think we can have fish tanks, since the lady a few doors down was telling us about her 100 gallon fish tank (that is currently empty).

The only animal on my lease is my dog. I was supposed to pay a $200 refundable (if no damage was done), but I only paid $50 of it to move in and they said they would bill me later. Well, I never got the bill. Then they switched management companies and it said on that lease that I did pay the full $200 deposit...so I didn't say anything about it.

Now they changed management again. A manager now lives across the way and a few doors done. I have yet to get the new lease that I am supposed to get, and its been a month already since she moved in. She seems to be a nice lady, and we are friendly to her every time we see her.

My cats hang out in the front window, so she must know I have them. We also have a 37 gallon fish tank, my 2 bonded bunnies, and my foster bunny. I also have 2 foster rats, but they are hopefully being adopted tomorrow.

So, if she was to ever knock on our door or something she'd see them all....then once the door opens you can see the 2 bunny cages and my cats are so nosy that they walk right up to the door. I don't open my front blinds anymore (didn't do it a lot due to privacy anyway), so she can't see in when she walks by.

My plan is to say that the original management company knew about my bunnies. I'd end up paying $200 per cat though, if it meant rehoming them or getting kicked out.

I never had a problem with my rabbits while I lived in my apartment. I had five at the most and I lived there over ten years. The managers knew I had them. I made sure I kept things clean. I even told thembefore I left that one of the rabbits ate a hole in the carpet. They didn't dock me as the carpet was over ten years old anyway. I made any repairs before I left as well.

The condo association on the other hand is a different story. I need to get rid some of my rabbits or face fines or worse. I wonder how many others have more pets than the two pet limit. Does that include fish? This is just killing me.

Good luck.

I don't live in apartments I live in a trailer we have lived here for 2 years I talked to my landlord he said it was fine alongs it stayed in it's cage and floors didn't get ruined. Well 1 my bun bun will be out while I'm home and I will make sure he doesn't ruin anything the adoption agency said he doesn't chew rugs or digs so that's great :) but a woman across from me had a cat and tore up the house amd she didn't even ask them and he didn't say anything. We pay our rent on time and keep out trailer looking nice so guess what he can get over it he is never really down here anyway!

you can prevent some messes by being proactive. If you watch you bun while he's out you can catch him before he does damage. Think of the bunny a really fast two-year-old child and you can be better prepared. I think as long as you pay your rent on time that the worst they can do is withhold your security deposit when you move.

My landlord won't allow rabbits (not that it's stopped me). He has an enormous dog and all of the other tenants have multiple pets, but for some reason he hates rabbits. Linus has very few accidents and done significantly less damage to the apartment than my human roommmates. I'm currently looking to move out, and finding a place that will take a bunny is proving to be a bit difficult in my price range. Ah, well.

I've had several apartments tell me rabbits aren't allowed, and it makes sense if they know how destructive they can be. But the stupidest reason was given to me at my old place after they found my bunny and fined me $300!

The place allowed cats and dogs if you paid a deposit, but wouldn't allow rabbits because they said they consider them RODENTS, which are not allowed! What?!

Back when my wife and I lived in an apparement we were told we could have cats(which aren't really my thing plus I'm alergic). We never really thought about if rabbits would be allowed or not we just kind of got one. Monty was pretty good. He lived in our foyer penned off with an exersize pen and we let him lose whenever we were home. He only ever pulled up some carpet in the corner so we just kind of glued it back down when we left :)

Back